LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Whining sound coming from the right

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 11:05 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Whining sound coming from the right

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13cY...w?usp=drivesdk

My gut says tranny, my other gut says a belt or a pulley. Anyone have Ideas?
Old 10-25-18, 11:19 AM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

typically, tranny whine would be related to vehicle speed while belt/pulley would be related to engine speed.
Old 10-25-18, 11:23 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
typically, tranny whine would be related to vehicle speed while belt/pulley would be related to engine speed.
This is why I am confused, the whine only happens when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear. However goes away when I release the gas.
Old 01-16-19, 03:23 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

My mechanic stated its the power steering pump. Anyone have had this particular noise?
Old 01-16-19, 04:34 PM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

Hard to say from the audio recording. PS pump noise is pretty simple to pin down. You don't even need to be moving. Raise the hood and lower both front windows. Turning the wheel left and right should make the noise worse...
Old 01-17-19, 02:51 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Hard to say from the audio recording. PS pump noise is pretty simple to pin down. You don't even need to be moving. Raise the hood and lower both front windows. Turning the wheel left and right should make the noise worse...
I figured which is why I think its wrong that the noise is the PS pump as it only happens in 1st and second gear
Old 01-20-19, 01:08 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

It's not the ps pump, coming from underneath the car. Buddy says it may be this

anyone have experience with symptoms of this failing?
Old 04-15-19, 11:59 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Now that most everything is has or will be replaced soon I decided to continue trying to find the cause of this noise. Anyone have an idea on what is causing it?
Old 04-18-19, 02:14 AM
Ciscoslao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey sin, i recently had that issue and it was alot more simple then i thought. It was the idler puley. Ebay has it for about 15 bucks. Gs luck
Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13cY...w?usp=drivesdk

My gut says tranny, my other gut says a belt or a pulley. Anyone have Ideas?
Old 04-18-19, 07:18 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Ciscoslao
Hey sin, i recently had that issue and it was alot more simple then i thought. It was the idler puley. Ebay has it for about 15 bucks. Gs luck
Idler pulley? Would that mean the noise happens dependant on engine speed regardless of gear? This only happens in gear and only on 1st and 2nd.

That was also the first thing I replaced when I got it the whole pulley, it was seized
Old 04-18-19, 08:28 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

It could very well be the belt tensioner idler pulley or the ps pump. On the pulley, you need to get an OEM or a name branded aftermarket w/ a good bearing. Spin it first prior to install to see how quiet it is. There's a big concave washer that looks like a little dish, make sure you install it in the correct orientation. Do not over tighten the pulley & spin it first once installed to make sure it'll spin freely before you put the serpentine belt back on. For the ps steering, yours may be going out if it's old. Check for leak & make sure the level is correct with the car running. It'll whine if low on fluid or have air in the system. You can purge the air out by jacking the front of the car then turn the steering wheel from one end to the other about 30 times. Good luck.
Old 04-18-19, 08:41 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Superfast1
It could very well be the belt tensioner idler pulley or the ps pump. On the pulley, you need to get an OEM or a name branded aftermarket w/ a good bearing. Spin it first prior to install to see how quiet it is. There's a big concave washer that looks like a little dish, make sure you install it in the correct orientation. Do not over tighten the pulley & spin it first once installed to make sure it'll spin freely before you put the serpentine belt back on. For the ps steering, yours may be going out if it's old. Check for leak & make sure the level is correct with the car running. It'll whine if low on fluid or have air in the system. You can purge the air out by jacking the front of the car then turn the steering wheel from one end to the other about 30 times. Good luck.
Oem

Ps pump is being replaced. But I'm having trouble understanding of it is the idler pulley why it only happens in 1st and second gear.. Not in 3rd 4th or 5th. Not idle and revving.

Wait is it the same as tensioner pulley?

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 04-18-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 10:45 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

The belt tensioner pulley is the one that uses the big concave washer that I was talking about. The ps pump also have a pulley & it can whine if it goes bad as well. Why are you replacing the pump? If it isn't leaking & in good working condition then don't replace it. You can check the pulley by taking the serpentine belt off then spin it by hand & see if you can hear any whining noise then report back.
Old 04-18-19, 11:05 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Superfast1
The belt tensioner pulley is the one that uses the big concave washer that I was talking about. The ps pump also have a pulley & it can whine if it goes bad as well. Why are you replacing the pump? If it isn't leaking & in good working condition then don't replace it. You can check the pulley by taking the serpentine belt off then spin it by hand & see if you can hear any whining noise then report back.
Ps pump is leaking, so it's being replaced. Alternator as well.
Spinning the tensioner is smooth, no noise. But wouldn't that noise happen regardless of idle or hear if it was those? I can redline it without noise but the noise starts in 1st and second gear at around1500rpm.
Old 04-18-19, 11:11 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Ps pump is leaking, so it's being replaced. Alternator as well.
Spinning the tensioner is smooth, no noise. But wouldn't that noise happen regardless of idle or hear if it was those? I can redline it without noise but the noise starts in 1st and second gear at around1500rpm.
Buy new OEM on P.S. pump.

For alternator,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-upgrade.html

Quick Reply: Whining sound coming from the right