LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Talk me off the ledge

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-18, 11:01 PM
jroundy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me off the ledge

Hello All,
I'll say I am new to the group because I haven't been on in years and didn't post much when I was on. I have a black 1994 LS 400 with 161K miles. Engine seems pretty good, haven't had any problems with the transmission. It's starting to have some problems pop up. I was losing powering steering fluid so I had the pump replaced. The passenger seat belt works on and off sometimes. The power antenna doesn't work anymore. Paint and the interior need to be refreshed and my instrument panel just went out. The needles still work. Oh yeah, both rear springs broke but a friend helped me replace the struts a couple of years ago. All in all the car seems to be solid for the most part. I really don't like having car notes but I don't want to spend money on a car that will just keep giving me trouble. I don't know a lot about cars but I feel I can take care of a decent amount of things on my own with guidance but I also don't have a lot of time and can't afford to have a car down for an extended amount of time which I am always afraid of if I try to fix something and can't figure it out. I would like to make the lexus my project car and turn it into a new school classic but I'm going back and forth if I should just eat the monthly note and get a new car.

Open to your thoughts,
James
Old 10-28-18, 05:03 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 99 Posts

Small projects are fast and reliable. If you want to do big projects you need another car either way. You won’t get much for trade in. Newer Lexus are honestly not as good. Just newer.
Old 10-28-18, 07:07 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

What would you want if you got a new(er) car? How much can you spend? Maybe some sort of 3-5 year old Toyota,Honda might be right for you.Of course,,all applies in that you research car fully so you dont buy one with any known bad problems.
A reliable newer or new car can get you 10 years of peaceful motoring.Easy.

Young couple next door bought a 10 year old Infinity.Looks new,sporty as heck,and sounds excellent and they say it rides excellent.I forget what model but the reliability is way up there too.

Last edited by spuds; 10-28-18 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-28-18, 11:13 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

This will depend on your wallet and DIY willingness. Will it end at $XX or keep going? By the time you finish what would the same $ have bought in an already well cared for car? How is the interior, the suspension, etc. Each system that needs attention will be a drain of resources. My hot rod friends their average was in the $45K range to restore pretty much anything. Some more depending how much "updating" they did. Project cars are fun so if you have the $ to play, go for it. If you need reliable transport day in out a can't be under or into the car in a freezing garage that is a consideration.

So far the problems mentioned aren't big to handle so you may be into it for ~$500 roughly. The exterior like paint body work is going to be $$ unless you can DIY that. Do you have tools or access to them too? If not you can rent but buying tools is going to begin a journey on the wallet too. That said it is a good time to start. I began buying hand tools out of high school to DIY as much as I could. That saved $ over the years. That's how we learn so this is an effective pathway too.

One of those good traits to have is being capable of fixing stuff.

Thinking of it more, I'd suggest a newer well cared for car that is going to be less of a worry.

Last edited by RA40; 10-28-18 at 11:17 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 10-28-18, 03:45 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts

Even a new car can give you problems. Do your research and find a model that is reliable. I like older Toyota (early 2000 models and back) and Lexus (2006 and back) vehicles, but they all need maintenance and there is no warranty. Both my nephews, my sister-in-law, and neighbor's brother have all purchased nice vehicles from me, but they don't keep them up. The youngest nephew went new on this last one (Nissan Versa) and it hasn't been a good experience. I can fix many things, but when it comes to suspension parts and front end alignments, I have to give in and out source the work. I guess it all depends on your resources.
Old 10-28-18, 10:58 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Rear springs broke? Why? Rust? If its a total Illinois rust bucket then don't jump, replace it.
Old 10-29-18, 11:27 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

I also recommend getting a new(er) car for better reliability but don't get something that will require a monthly...though I don't know your financial situation.
Old 10-31-18, 02:01 PM
GoldLex99
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LS400's can last way past 161k if well maintained. I've had cars where the number or repairs was building up to the point where I was at the decision point you are at. It comes down to a simple formula. The amount of money you spend and the number of miles you can expect from that money. You own the LS400 so it comes down to how much money will it take to bring it back to solid reliable condition. You can expect another 100,000 - 140,000 miles from your car for that investment. Now look at what that investment will get you in another car. If you can get more miles for less money on another car then that's the right financial choice.

That's the financial perspective. If it were strictly financial we'd all be driving white Camry's with ugly paint colors. Cars are much more than finances. You've got history with the car, you know it very well (flaws and all) does that matter to you?. Would you miss the car if you replaced it? Are you excited about the idea of driving something different?

Good luck with your decision,
Let us know how it goes.

John
Old 10-31-18, 02:13 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

But reliability is an issue.Where it isnt the end of the world if retired male me gets stranded and for a couple days i dont have a vehicle,it matters a lot if your job is on the line if you dont show up.Or your wife or daughter gets stranded in the middle of the night.
That can be a huge consideration when figuring the financial and safety aspects of a vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (10-31-18)
Old 10-31-18, 07:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

The paint is the biggest expense and from the tone of your post I would say don't be afraid to move on to something else. These cars are very reliable but when you let too many little things pile up it starts to cost money and time even for us DIY ppl.
Old 11-01-18, 05:56 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
These cars are very reliable but when you let too many little things pile up it starts to cost money and time even for us DIY ppl.
Very true. I've been putting things off for a while b/c I've been out of work and just had neck surgery. Been adding up the price for all the little things and it's almost 2 grand. Even if I fix everything it's still not in the best shape but I know the car and whatever I would buy for that amount would be garbage That's what keeps me "off the ledge".
Old 11-02-18, 09:38 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

for me personally, go get another one, check it out very good and maybe your ledge wont hurt you... there are some really good/strong 95-97 LS400 out there.. 98 and up will cost you a little more ( price and upkeep) so look for 95-97..... if I was in your cond, I would look for 96..... built like a tank