LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ngk ruthenium hx spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 11:31 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Ngk ruthenium hx spark plugs

Spark plugs are critical to combustion.

NGK claims element Ruthenium offers discernible improvement over Iridium tip spark plugs.

Anyone with firsthand knowledge of Ruthenium plugs?

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/ruthenium-hx
  • DFE & PSPE® tip designs
  • Superior Oxidation Resistance
  • Advanced high-ignitablity technology
  • Enhanced blistering/anti peeling
The NGK DifferenceDFE (double fine electrode) maximizes ignitability whil reducing emissions for low heat engines. NGK-patented design recommended for non-turbo applications.

PSPE® (projected square platinum electrode) provides the best ignitability and service life for high heat engines. NGK-patented design recommended for turbo and supercharged engines

DESIGN

NGK Ruthenium HX™ provides more complete fuel burn than other precious metal spark plugs. The results are quicker throttle response, smoother idle and better cold starts.

HIGH IGNITABILITY

NGK’s patented Ruthenium technology is available in our most advanced OEM designs to provide the most optimal durability at high temperatures in various driving conditions.

DURABILITY
  • Combustion pressure testing to maintain stable performance (Diagram 1)
  • Acceleration testing for improved acceleration performance (Diagram 2)
  • Mechanical vibration testing
  • Thermal shock testing to -40°F
  • Tightest resistor manufacturing process in the industry
  • Manufacturing in our ISO 11565 certified manufacturing facility
  • Gap measurement with laser precision throughout production process
  • Ground electrodes are accurately positioned with 360° welding process
ACCELERATION TEST

All NGK spark plugs must pass extensive testing procedures and quality checks

(Diagram 1)

COMBUSTION PRESSURE TEST

The following users liked this post:
JDMUCF21 (03-24-21)
Old 11-19-18, 12:55 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

Haven't used the ruthenium over the iridium plugs even on my hi-performance cars so I'm not sure but it makes sense economically from the manufacturer's point of view & in return, perhaps we as the consumers can benefits from it. Here's how & what I know: Both iridium & ruthenium belong to the platinum family of precious metals. Iridium is softer than ruthenium so iridium has been a preferred based metal when it comes to manufacturing process that's why traditionally, platinum has always been alloyed w/ iridium for hi-performance application. Ruthenium, however is now traded much cheaper than iridium & with technological advancement in manufacturing, it makes perfect sense for the manufacturers to make a shift to ruthenium-based alloys. The genetic makeup of the ruthenium is harder than iridium, therefore it has higher resistance to wear & tear at high temperature so imo, it's a win-win situation for everyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Superfast1:
bradland (10-02-19), JDMUCF21 (03-24-21)
Old 11-19-18, 01:15 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

a nice lesson learned today! thanks for sharing guys.

are the OE Denso plugs just plain copper?
Old 11-19-18, 02:14 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

The standard is copper, least expensive. Next is platinum, double-platinum then iridium. I think the OEM for our LS is either platinum or double-platinum but I have been using iridium for years so I don't remember but you can look it up under the hood or in the user manual.
Old 11-20-18, 07:47 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Nothing like using good plugs.
Old 11-20-18, 07:58 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

are they on the market yet? any part numbers for gen 1..gen 2?
Old 11-20-18, 09:34 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default Ngk ruthenium sparkplug part number

Originally Posted by python
are they on the market yet? any part numbers for gen 1..gen 2?
NGK 94279 is # provided for 1999 LS400 on their website.
Old 11-20-18, 10:53 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
NGK 94279 is # provided for 1999 LS400 on their website.
9 bucks each.I could live with that.

Old 11-21-18, 10:36 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I just changed mine in 99LS with iridium when changing starter, will try those next time.
Old 12-21-18, 06:29 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default NGK Ruthenium spark plugs

NGK Ruthenium spark plugs arrived....

# FR6AHX-S or 94279 for 1999 LS400.

Am contemplating cryogenic treatment of spark plugs to further improve their performance...

Anyone with firsthand experience or understanding of benefits of cryogenically treated electronic, electrical or mechanical components...kindly share.

Thank you.

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-21-18 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 08:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Will be interesting to see your results. My take is of diminishing returns for a small percentage. I've had steel cryogenically treated following heat treat and for the most part the extra 1-1.5 Rockwell-C scale hardness is undetectable in use. In a spec analysis it will be "better". I have it cryo'd because that is what the user wants. Would have to have the control untreated and the cryo'd ones to compare.

As an aside: Changing out the old plugs, cap rotors and wires for fresh stuff was an incremental improvement like .4-.7 MPG at the TB service. That was after 100K miles so even with all that time in there, it wasn't dramatic. The largest change was the ethanol fuels. A buddy keeps on me to stop by one of the local fuel suppliers to run a 91/92 non-ethanol fuel to see if there is a difference. Did that back in the old days when non-ethanol was available, 8-15% drop like the online articles mention. I have not seen the 26.7 MPG since then. Sometimes I think it is going to get close but typical high is from 24-24.6 now. Mix in city and the parking lot "freeways" and it is 19-21 MPG.

Now if these work well, using these in the Corolla that may eek it up into the 36 MPG+ ranges that would be great! Our LS I have minimal expectation due to the tech. YMMV of course.

Old 12-30-18, 03:30 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
Will be interesting to see your results. My take is of diminishing returns for a small percentage. I've had steel cryogenically treated following heat treat and for the most part the extra 1-1.5 Rockwell-C scale hardness is undetectable in use. In a spec analysis it will be "better". I have it cryo'd because that is what the user wants. Would have to have the control untreated and the cryo'd ones to compare.

As an aside: Changing out the old plugs, cap rotors and wires for fresh stuff was an incremental improvement like .4-.7 MPG at the TB service. That was after 100K miles so even with all that time in there, it wasn't dramatic. The largest change was the ethanol fuels. A buddy keeps on me to stop by one of the local fuel suppliers to run a 91/92 non-ethanol fuel to see if there is a difference. Did that back in the old days when non-ethanol was available, 8-15% drop like the online articles mention. I have not seen the 26.7 MPG since then. Sometimes I think it is going to get close but typical high is from 24-24.6 now. Mix in city and the parking lot "freeways" and it is 19-21 MPG.

Now if these work well, using these in the Corolla that may eek it up into the 36 MPG+ ranges that would be great! Our LS I have minimal expectation due to the tech. YMMV of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qas9Ht3K5jQ

Replaced my NGK Iridium IFR6T11 with NGK Ruthenium FR6AHX-S (94279)

Following are results;

Cold start-up is faster ( 30 Fahrenheit), smoother engine operation through warm up, less raw gas smell in exhaust in first minute after starting.

Cold start idle now reads 1,050 - 1,100 RPM vs. 1,250 - 1,300 RPM.
Not sure tachometer is 100% accurate, but definite RPM reduction upon start up.

Noticable improvement in part and full throttle response...smoother
Not necessary to depress accelerator pedal as far when acceleratng.

At 40 MPH, when I stomp on the accelerator (dry pavement), the traction control engages..(my intake manifold is extrude-honed..however am running larger diameter 235 tires vs OEM 225's )

Full throttle to 6,000 RPM is smoother.

The engine really likes these plugs

A+ NGK

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-30-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 02:05 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Replaced my NGK Iridium IFR6T11 with NGK Ruthenium FR6AHX-S (94279)

Following are results;

Cold start-up is faster ( 30 Fahrenheit), smoother engine operation through warm up, less raw gas smell in exhaust in first minute after starting.

Cold start idle now reads 1,050 - 1,100 RPM vs. 1,250 - 1,300 RPM.
Not sure tachometer is 100% accurate, but definite RPM reduction upon start up.

Noticable improvement in part and full throttle response...smoother
Not necessary to depress accelerator pedal as far when acceleratng.

At 40 MPH, when I stomp on the accelerator (dry pavement), the traction control engages..(my intake manifold is extrude-honed..however am running larger diameter 235 tires vs OEM 225's )

Full throttle to 6,000 RPM is smoother.

The engine really likes these plugs

A+ NGK
....and the transmission is slightly more behaved during low speed (automatic) downshifts.
Old 01-30-19, 06:55 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default Ruthenium spark plugs cold start

Chicago is in today's "Polar Vortex". - minus 18 Fahrenheit.

Not going anywhere today but wanted to evaluate cold starting abilities and operation.

1999 LS400 started immediately and idled smoothly upon start-up through warm-up.

The Ruthenium plugs offer a slight improvement over the Iridium plugs in that regard. (In comparison to a previous cold start at minus 4 F with Iridiums)

I use Mobil 1 0W-30 synthetic engine oil and, synthetic oil in P.S. which really makes a difference when temperatures go Arctic.

Do not drive my LS in the snow and salt...but here is today's temperature reading. The ambient temperature sensor is accurate.

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-31-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 07:56 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Wow, that's frickin cold. I've heard this morning some part of the Midwest, the windchill factor is at -50F. Yikes. I used to live in Indiana but have since migrated to Southern California 30 years ago & I'm glad I did. I still remember vividly one winter there, the windchill factor was at -75F, yes -75F. Went out to the car, pulled the dipstick & the oil wouldn't even drip a drop. If you talked, the warm air coming out of your lung & your wind pipe can freeze so better stay indoor, Yodaone.

Quick Reply: Ngk ruthenium hx spark plugs