LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starter replacement difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 08:15 AM
Zavala
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter replacement difficult?

Anyone replace starter? How difficult for novice? Any advice?

Last edited by RA40; 11-24-18 at 11:19 AM. Reason: title adjustment
Old 11-24-18, 08:37 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Plenty of threads on it.
search “starter” !
Old 11-24-18, 09:05 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Zavala
Anyone replace starter? How difficult for novice? Any advice?
It would be extremely difficult for a novice to replace the starter.
Old 11-24-18, 12:44 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is the most challenging repair I have done, I would give it a 9/10 as I reserve a complete engine replacement as a 10/10
the rear coolant bridge y pipe bolts are the biggest pita
followed closely by the actual starter bolts themselves.
Old 11-24-18, 01:00 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

What year is your LS? There are differences throughout the years.
Some forum members have had good results just replacing the solenoid / plunger and contacts which eliminates the need to remove the entire starter housing.
IIRC the coolant bypass and EGR pipe (depending on the year) are not removed when you leave the starter in place and just replace theplunger and contacts.
Old 11-26-18, 02:01 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Just as easy as an old chevy, 15 minute job. Yeah its just a dream.
Old 11-26-18, 02:50 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine took a couple of days but honestly, if you go into a job with all the tools and parts and you know the severity it's just a time sync.

Just take your time and read everything 5 times It's not that hard. Keep labels and containers for all bolts etc. Take photos or even better video telling yourself any think you might not remember about disassembley
Old 11-27-18, 09:09 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

never done one before and it scares me to be honest.
however the timing belt job scared me too, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm sure people will say that a starter job is still more difficult than a timing belt/water pump replacement!
Old 11-27-18, 10:40 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

thats one of the most horrible things to work on. prepare your anus.
Old 11-27-18, 09:33 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
never done one before and it scares me to be honest.
however the timing belt job scared me too, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm sure people will say that a starter job is still more difficult than a timing belt/water pump replacement!
I am on my third timing belt (1999 LS400 w/255K miles ) , original plus two changes, had it done by a mechanic both times, but I've built up my confidence, did my starter myself and planning on doing next timing belt myself too
Old 11-28-18, 04:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

This job is difficult but if your comfortable working on cars it's not that bad. The most time consuming part of the job is getting the 2 starter bolts out IMO since the room is so limited. The 1 must have tool is a crows foot socket just for that part of the job. If you have a helper it's easier just to remove the intake manifold in one piece. The job is more intimidating than anything else. There are minor differences in the removal depending on the year of your LS.

​​​​​​http://www.lextreme.com/starter.html
Old 12-24-18, 04:34 PM
ajahearn
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 96 is showing starter failure signs. A mechanic, who has been good so far, is concerned that getting to the starter could result in other parts failing/breaking (age of the car, etc.) and that some of these parts will be difficult to find (already having that problem with my 02 maxima). This is probably not a fair question to ask, but how about his concern over failing parts when you remove parts? I did just find the same car, a mechanic special that doesn't run, and I will call my mechanic and see if he's willing to take the other car for parts. But I would like to hear the general consensus on his concerns. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-18, 05:02 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

I mean ****** happens when you do car repairs. This is one reason I always advise people not to buy rusty cars or cars that come from areas that pour salt on the roads in the winter. Stuff breaks, it's frustrating, you have to back up and punt. Oftentimes shops don't want to fool with this type of repair and/or older cars for this very reason (10 things break just to get one part out or off). If it is a really nice car, it has to be repaired. Do you know this shop/mechanic well? You could let them know that you realize the difficulty and that stuff may happen, and that you are willing to compensate them for their effort (within reason).
Old 12-24-18, 05:25 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

I've replaced 2 starters on my 97 & 00 LS400 myself. The later is much easier as Lexus had made some design changes to the plenum/upper intake manifold & emission control (no flex EGR pipe from upper intake to exhaust manifold) so you can remove the plenum & upper intake manifold in 1 piece. This is not a job for a novice or someone w/ just generic tools. You also got to have lots of patient & be able to to work around & fix things i.e. plastic fuel injector's connectors (qty 8) as they will break during the removal process. If you still want to do it yourself then make sure to bag & tag everything during the removal & replace the front & rear water bypass bridge's gaskets w/ new ones or it'll leak on you. Best of luck.
Old 12-24-18, 06:36 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by ajahearn
Our 96 is showing starter failure signs. A mechanic, who has been good so far, is concerned that getting to the starter could result in other parts failing/breaking (age of the car, etc.) and that some of these parts will be difficult to find (already having that problem with my 02 maxima). This is probably not a fair question to ask, but how about his concern over failing parts when you remove parts? I did just find the same car, a mechanic special that doesn't run, and I will call my mechanic and see if he's willing to take the other car for parts. But I would like to hear the general consensus on his concerns. Thanks in advance.
Your mechanic is right there are old brittle hoses behind the starter that will not survive the job. An old parts car that doesn't run will have the same issue the parts in question will not play nicely on either car.
See post #5 above /\/\/\
Replacing just the plunger and contacts eliminates the need to remove the entire starter assembly which is where the surrounding parts become compromised...

Quick Reply: Starter replacement difficult?