LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 10:02 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Water in trunk

Started raining in CA lol its a 99 with no antenna

Noticed a wet paper in the trunk. Seems to be water on the hinge elbow. Checked the weather strip...don't see anything wrong. But did notice moisture behind the strip. Any tips?

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 12-11-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 10:31 PM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to be having the same issue. Bought some silica gel packs in the meantime to absorb the moisture in the trunk.
Old 12-11-18, 09:28 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Started raining in CA lol

Noticed a wet paper in the trunk. Seems to be water on the hinge elbow. Checked the weather strip...don't see anything wrong. But did notice moisture behind the strip. Any tips?
Parking on an incline in inclement weather can overwhelm drains in moonroof and trunk.

Replace trunk seal and white plastic sealing clips depicted in this post;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/727233-water-in-the-trunk-4.html

Old 12-11-18, 09:47 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Parking on an incline in inclement weather can overwhelm drains in moonroof and trunk.

Replace trunk seal and white plastic sealing clips depicted in this post;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/727233-water-in-the-trunk-4.html
Yeah it's on the driveway a mild incline. Thanks!
Old 12-11-18, 10:40 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Fairly common with age and as YODAONE mentions fixes it.
Old 12-11-18, 04:35 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Hello, The moisture in the photograph is likely coming from condensation caused by water sitting below the visible floor area. Remove trunk floor panel and the side floor panels and get a good look at the wells between the rear wheel wells and bumper. Do you have small lakes in the wells?
Once you have established that your ................:
a) antenna drain tube is routed correctly
b) sunroof drains actually go to their destinations
c) trunk seal is functional
d) *important* - tail lamp assemblies have sealant on their nuts/bolts (water happily trickles in here during long sits and rainy days)
................................ remove the black rubber plugs at the bottoms of the wells and cut small (about 1/2 mm past the inner diameter of the groove) v-notches to allow water to drain out. Upon reinstallation of the rubber plugs, orient the v-notches to face the rear of the car. I mean, duh.
Colin
Old 12-11-18, 04:39 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Hello, The moisture in the photograph is likely coming from condensation caused by water sitting below the visible floor area. Remove trunk floor panel and the side floor panels and get a good look at the wells between the rear wheel wells and bumper. Do you have small lakes in the wells?
Once you have established that your ................:
a) antenna drain tube is routed correctly
b) sunroof drains actually go to their destinations
c) trunk seal is functional
d) *important* - tail lamp assemblies have sealant on their nuts/bolts (water happily trickles in here during long sits and rainy days)
................................ remove the black rubber plugs at the bottoms of the wells and cut small (about 1/2 mm past the inner diameter of the groove) v-notches to allow water to drain out. Upon reinstallation of the rubber plugs, orient the v-notches to face the rear of the car. I mean, duh.
Colin
Gonna remove all carpetiing from the trunk when I get home, anything I need to do this?
a) dont have an antenna
b) I dont know where to check that
c) trunk seal doesnt seem to be compressed nor ripped. But gonna replace regardless. Only $20
d) ill check that tonight
Old 12-11-18, 05:33 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

I've had several different vehicles with leaky trunks. When this starts happening the padding underneath all that pretty trunk carpeting soaks all the water up and starts to stink, condensate, mold, etc. I did what Amskeptic's post suggested with the plugs. I don't usually throw OEM stuff away, but I pulled the insulation away from the back of the carpeting and tossed it out too. It was ruined anyway. You can also get Damp Rid packs to hang in the trunk to remove excess moisture. They're available at Walmart or Ace Hardware.
Old 12-11-18, 05:40 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

There was a small puddle in the spare area.

On inspection there was some water come out of the left rear tailight area.

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 12-11-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 06:12 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
There was a small puddle in the spare area.

On inspection there was some water come out of the left rear tailight area.

The spare tire well has a rubber plug as well, IIRC, and it can benefit from a little v-cut drainage.
Old 12-12-18, 07:57 PM
filnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, my recently acquired 99 has a trunk leak. I plan on ripping everything out of the trunk spraying water with a hose and see if I can find where or all of the leaks
Old 12-13-18, 02:32 AM
Rokas
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first LS, a 95, would have two inches of water on the inside of the trunk in the left well (under the carpeting) after a good rain, haha.
Old 12-13-18, 08:22 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Rokas
My first LS, a 95, would have two inches of water on the inside of the trunk in the left well (under the carpeting) after a good rain, haha.
Did ya fix it? lol
Old 12-14-18, 12:56 AM
Tappy
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn. I have a pond in my trunk as well. I can't see where the water might be coming from. The top covers aren't really wet, so I wonder if it is a drain somewhere.
Old 12-14-18, 10:30 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tappy
Damn. I have a pond in my trunk as well. I can't see where the water might be coming from. The top covers aren't really wet, so I wonder if it is a drain somewhere.
People love to go to the trunk seal and the obvious. Consider the subtle, especially that antenna mast drain (in the left side cavity) and the antenna-to-body grommet, the washers/nuts/bolts for the rear bumper/taillights (they need sealant at the body and on each contact surface of the washers and nuts/bolts. Everything needs to drain. So, if your spare tire well is well-sealed against the outside elements under the car, it is also well-sealed for keeping the lake inside the trunk. Subtle little v-notches do not allow the outside spray in half so much as let inside water drain out,
Colin
(I wish the service manual had a discussion on sunroof drain routing ... )

Quick Reply: Water in trunk