LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 as a family car. like father like son?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 06:53 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Ls400 as a family car. like father like son?

been with my girl about 2 years now and she has 2, 11 YO paternal twins. dad was a deadbeat so they haven't had much of a father figure in their lives.

she drives a 2014 Jeep cherokee Latitude, which in my opinion is not a jeep. its a soccormom glorified minivan. sadly the Cherokee today is well, garbage compared to the old one. a jeep should be a jeep. not a front wheel drive 4 banger built on a car chassis. so slow it can barley move out of its own way. nope nope and NOPE!

i like to drive so when we go someplace as a family, i like taking one of my cars. typically, either my mustang convertible since they are still young they are small enough to fit in the backseat fine. or we take my 2000 LS400. the little boy LOVES my cars. always wants to either ride in my white 95 Ls400 or my Black 99 Ls400. thinks my green 00 Ls400 is "boring" mostly bc its too quiet. my GF is not a car person at all. thinks luxury cars are stupid and really doesn't appreciate the LS400s for what they are. sees them as old, kinda ugly, and inconvenient bc no blind spot monitors, backup camera, and BT audio. sadly see sees driving as nothing but a chore and only cares about gas mileage and the Bluetooth/backup camera and kind of rolls her eyes when i want to take one of my cars. but the little boy always asks, "are we taking the 95 today?" whenever i go ANYWHERE in my 95 or 99, he wants to ride along and his eyes light up whenever i pop the hood and he always wants to tinker with them with me.

-pretty sure he will end up a car guy. lol little girl on the other hand always wants to ride in the green 2000, bc she thinks its fun to slide across the seats, and its quiet enough to where she can curl up and fall asleep in the back seat on trips, which is about it, but thinks the design of the back windows is really cool when they roll down. i have also caught them playing with the Jam protection windows which they all think is cool, even my GF, but i really dont encourage that..

more then likely, if me and my GF last that long, the little bous first car will be one of my Ls400s, and hopefully i can keep the circle of life going with these cars, with a new generation that appreciates them as well. hell, by the time he is driving, my 95 will be a legit classic!

how bout you guys? got kids that love these cars as much as you, and how does your GF/wife feel about them?
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (12-22-18)
Old 12-22-18, 11:16 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

My father bought his LS for use as a family car - I grew up with that and our early 90's Grand Caravan ES. I always thought the LS was very nice looking with the pearl white paint, and it definitely had an influence on my taste in cars. We still have both vehicles and plenty of good memories... Trips to school, Disney World, and cruising on the freeway. I'm just glad I wasn't rough on his LS as kids can be with cars.

Now, I have my own and who knows? Maybe it will become a family car someday, too.
Old 12-22-18, 08:34 PM
Amish
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great post OP. Ive always been a car/truck/bike guy and I love the way the LS400 looks. I prefer the 99/2000 models myself but they are all nice cars.

My wife loves it as well and she always takes it out when I don't need it. She drives a Infinity FX35 and its a great SUV that is fast and powerful, hugs corners great and is super fun to drive...but of course only I drive it that way. That said she loves the LS400 because it just screams luxury and comfort plus looks great. I put in a blue tooth apple car play receiver because like your wife OP; I have to have blue tooth.

My son is 4 and honestly doesn't care what we drive. My daughter is 9 and she loves my truck (1965 Ford F100) and Harley. She begs me to take her out on the bike and for rides in the truck. She especially loves me picking her up from school on the bike or in the truck. She's a little bit like her old man....we'll see how the son is as he gets older but I will be teaching them both how to do their own mechanical work.

Everyone that has seen my car likes it. For an older ride it's styling keeps up IMO. It still looks like a fantastic looking car even in 2018.