LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

So I got cheap tires lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 06:45 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default So I got cheap tires lol

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/sentury-touring/p/29234

Normal for these cheapies to be loud? Road noise wise?
Old 01-06-19, 07:58 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/sentury-touring/p/29234

Normal for these cheapies to be loud? Road noise wise?
These are cheaper lol https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-ls388/p/33415

I've got Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 plus' that the previous owner put on 2k miles before I bought the car and I've never had a tire so quiet before, not even Michelin Defenders. I was also able to get 32mpg on the 150 mile drive home after buying the car.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...2-plus/p/29711

But why not spend 40% more for a 85k mile rated tire vs. 40k mile rating that's better quality like a Yokohama Avid Ascend? It'll most likely start out with more tread which should isolate road NVH much better and a longer lasting compound that'll not dry rot as easily as the cheap Chinese or Korean made tires.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ascend/p/43879

Last edited by Losiracer2; 01-06-19 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 09:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Probably and that comes with the price paid. If these keep the car roadworthy then the price accomplishes that. If you want more characteristics that typically comes with a price. Americas Tire is good so if not happy see what they can do on a different tire.

I put some Yokohama Avid Envigors on the Corolla and they are pretty decent in that level of A/S tire. Reasonably quiet, acceptable traction and good enough for the So. Cal conditions that don't have snow or freezing temps. Not wallet ripping in that particular size of 195/60-15 either. I had been looking for the Goodyear A/S that is also in the same category. The Yokohamas were on sale so that swayed me. Drive that car sub 7K annually so I'll be replacing well before the treadwear comes up.
Old 01-06-19, 09:48 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
These are cheaper lol https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-ls388/p/33415

I've got Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 plus' that the previous owner put on 2k miles before I bought the car and I've never had a tire so quiet before, not even Michelin Defenders. I was also able to get 32mpg on the 150 mile drive home after buying the car.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...2-plus/p/29711

But why not spend 40% more for a 85k mile rated tire vs. 40k mile rating that's better quality like a Yokohama Avid Ascend? It'll most likely start out with more tread which should isolate road NVH much better and a longer lasting compound that'll not dry rot as easily as the cheap Chinese or Korean made tires.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ascend/p/43879
They come up at 46 a tire so slightly more. I only spent 280 for 4 tires a great deal. I'm happy just louder than usual. Besides I'ma drive them to 40k before any dry rotted or whatever occurs
Old 01-06-19, 09:50 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by RA40
Probably and that comes with the price paid. If these keep the car roadworthy then the price accomplishes that. If you want more characteristics that typically comes with a price. Americas Tire is good so if not happy see what they can do on a different tire.

I put some Yokohama Avid Envigors on the Corolla and they are pretty decent in that level of A/S tire. Reasonably quiet, acceptable traction and good enough for the So. Cal conditions that don't have snow or freezing temps. Not wallet ripping in that particular size of 195/60-15 either. I had been looking for the Goodyear A/S that is also in the same category. The Yokohamas were on sale so that swayed me. Drive that car sub 7K annually so I'll be replacing well before the treadwear comes up.
I'll prolly drop a bit more on tires once I finish getting everything fixed and swapped out. The ones that came with it were cracked and had permanent flat spot.
Old 01-07-19, 12:31 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

They come up at 46 a tire so slightly more. I only spent 280 for 4 tires a great deal. I'm happy just louder than usual. Besides I'ma drive them to 40k before any dry rotted or whatever occurs
Also, they say 40k but those tires usually wear out in 20-25k, by either developing edge wear or a separation of some kind, so unless you bought the tire certs, you'll be replacing them much sooner. You can try to get the to prorate the tires at that point, but they'll probably give you only 1/4 or less of the value and then you'll be stuck in the same boat of having to find another set of tires and then paying for additional mounting/balancing/disposal, tax, not to mention your time wasted on a weekend waiting another 3 hrs at a tire shop. Best to buy the good quality tire the first time and have 3x the life with a better, quieter tire that'll probably give you slightly better gas mileage.
Old 01-07-19, 08:32 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Also, they say 40k but those tires usually wear out in 20-25k, by either developing edge wear or a separation of some kind, so unless you bought the tire certs, you'll be replacing them much sooner. You can try to get the to prorate the tires at that point, but they'll probably give you only 1/4 or less of the value and then you'll be stuck in the same boat of having to find another set of tires and then paying for additional mounting/balancing/disposal, tax, not to mention your time wasted on a weekend waiting another 3 hrs at a tire shop. Best to buy the good quality tire the first time and have 3x the life with a better, quieter tire that'll probably give you slightly better gas mileage.
Whats the tire cert? i got the warranty with them. Not too worried as they will do until all repairs and such are done.
Old 01-07-19, 11:04 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I'll prolly drop a bit more on tires once I finish getting everything fixed and swapped out. The ones that came with it were cracked and had permanent flat spot.
That's good. You'll be able to drive the car for the time being, a flat spot is horrible to endure. Dad went to Americas Tire and I have had good service from them as well. The tires on the Lex come from other shops, even so they did a flat repair for me that is
Old 01-07-19, 12:17 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by RA40
That's good. You'll be able to drive the car for the time being, a flat spot is horrible to endure. Dad went to Americas Tire and I have had good service from them as well. The tires on the Lex come from other shops, even so they did a flat repair for me that is
The previous owner told me they always got used tires....once I learned that I didn't hesitate. These will work for the next year or two
Old 01-07-19, 05:31 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 109 Posts

No use in fooling with used tires, unless you have to. You never know, they might last a long time. I bought a set of Dextero tires from Walmart for my 99 RAV4 and they have been awesome tires. I put 15K miles on them in 6 months time and I swear they still look new. They may be loud, but the RAV4 has zero sound proofing so who knows . It gives me piece of mind to have newer tires, especially passing trucks on the Interstate.
Old 01-07-19, 09:16 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Fit1too
No use in fooling with used tires, unless you have to. You never know, they might last a long time. I bought a set of Dextero tires from Walmart for my 99 RAV4 and they have been awesome tires. I put 15K miles on them in 6 months time and I swear they still look new. They may be loud, but the RAV4 has zero sound proofing so who knows . It gives me piece of mind to have newer tires, especially passing trucks on the Interstate.
Yea that's why I got these lol

Don't trust used tires
Old 01-07-19, 09:33 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Cheap tires? As long as one remembers your life depends on tires on the road. I always buy best tires I could afford.
I don't go cheap on tires.
Old 01-07-19, 09:55 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Htony
Cheap tires? As long as one remembers your life depends on tires on the road. I always buy best tires I could afford.
I don't go cheap on tires.
What if those were the best tires I could afford at the time?
Old 01-10-19, 06:25 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

What if those were the best tires I could afford at the time?
Then they are the best tires ever.I put some offbrand koreans on the Jetta...they werent Michelin but they sure did the job,just was no longer road racer worthy.Neighbor tells a same story on his vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (01-10-19)
Old 01-10-19, 02:01 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

#justgettheMichelin's

Tires are the only thing keeping you on the road. I don't **** around with them personally.

Quick Reply: So I got cheap tires lol