LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Steering telescope issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 04:43 AM
Lloyd400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering telescope issue.

hello!

So I drive with my steering all the way out. When I turn the car on it doesn’t come out automatically, so I use the control to adjust it everytime I drive. When I turn the car off it goes back in by itself. I had an issue with car and dropped it at the garage, this issue was not related to the steering, but when I got it back the steering worked perfectly, it came in and out automatically. Now I got my car back again from the garage after an ac issue, and the same issue Came back, works manually but not automatically, as I said it only goes in automatically when the car switched off.

Ive read a lot of forum about the tilt issue, but nothing about the staring coming in and out, anyone have the same issue and knows how to fix it?

Regards,

Lloyd
Old 01-11-19, 09:52 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm usually in the 2GS forum but since I've battled the tilt/telescopic issue at length I figured I'd share what I found lol. Usually, it boils down to the motor or the tilt/telescopic steering wheel control unit. It's the box the tilt/telescopic motors plug into. If you can remove the lower part of the dash and tap it with a screwdriver it may work intermittently...that's how I found out the problem with mine.

Edited to add: it looks something like this (see below). Be sure and get the correct part number for your car (this is just an example I found on eBay). You can probably find one for $20 or so.

Last edited by kevin3344; 01-11-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-12-19, 10:57 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Check the memory seat buttons on the door. Maybe one is set for the wheel to be in and the other set for it out. Could be someone changed it when it was at the garage.
Old 01-12-19, 11:04 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd400
hello!

So I drive with my steering all the way out. When I turn the car on it doesn’t come out automatically, so I use the control to adjust it everytime I drive. When I turn the car off it goes back in by itself. I had an issue with car and dropped it at the garage, this issue was not related to the steering, but when I got it back the steering worked perfectly, it came in and out automatically. Now I got my car back again from the garage after an ac issue, and the same issue Came back, works manually but not automatically, as I said it only goes in automatically when the car switched off.

Ive read a lot of forum about the tilt issue, but nothing about the staring coming in and out, anyone have the same issue and knows how to fix it?

Regards,

Lloyd
Have you set up the power seat memory? Steering setting is part of that. After adjusting seat and steering, store it to memory.
Old 01-29-21, 07:57 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I figured I'd bump this thread with the same/similar issue to what I'm having.

Both tilt and telescope controls work on my steering wheel. It always goes back up to the starting position when the key is pulled from the ignition.

However, when the key is put in (started or not), it will tilt appropriately, but not telescope. Pressing the saved position button on the door does nothing. However, if you telescope the wheel manually and THEN hit the saved position, it will move to the correct telescope position.

It's almost as if when the automatic tilt and telescope engages it can't see or ignores the telescope part. But then if you remind it that the telescope part works, it'll go ahead and do what it's supposed to.

Has anyone come across this and solved it? Thanks!
Old 07-09-24, 05:42 PM
amruss24
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping this thread back from the dead again, I've run into the same issue and want to know if anyone found a resolution.
I have an early 1998 LS400 with the older-style mechanism.
I am able to telescope the steering wheel in and out just fine using the switch, but it will not telescope out automatically when I first start the car. It will still retract automatically when I turn the car off.
I've also noticed it goes slightly crooked and sounds like it's straining when it goes all the way in, as if it's going too far.

@Lloyd400 and @Einzelherz were either of you able to figure this issue out?