LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New AC Clutch Smoking! 1994 LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 11:33 PM
CrashrBshr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AC Clutch Smoking! 1994 LS

Hello all,

I am having a very frustrating time getting my ac clutch repaired. After finding this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/864442-ac-compressor-clutch-p-n.html
I was inspired to see if I could replace just the bearing on my ailing ac clutch. Air still blew cold, but the thing was getting really wobbly, and clutch dust was everywhere. I tried to get a new bearing PN, but come to find out, the ls used a different compressor from 92-94, than the 95-2000. So, I reluctantly ordered the $180 clutch assembly from lexus (another story there...) When I went to loosen the bolt, it was barely over finger tight (!!!) Considered just tightening it for a moment, but the clutch face was GONE. So we continued... Let me tell you, that split ring is a real bear to remove, even with 90* split ring pliers. Nearly impossible to line them up.

Anyway, pried all the stuff off gently, and a shim dropped out. Found it luckily. Assembly came with a new magnet coil, but some bozo dropped my package and the connector was broken. Decided to leave the previous one in there, as it worked fine. At this point, I started to wonder if maybe there was supposed to be two shims. The inside of the pulley was full of red dust, and there was a clean spot roughly 2 shims in height. We found a washer that was very nearly identical, and very carefully sanded it on a flat surface until we couldn't distinguish a height difference under powerful light, perfectly flat surface, dark background etc. After much cursing, we got the assembly back together, and tested it. WAY too much clearance. It started squealing, and we shut it off immediately. It had a little wisp of smoke. Strange, because you'd think that it would ride the bearing at this point. So, we took it apart again, and put 1 (original) shim in. Clearance looked just about right. At this point I'm under the assumption there is only one. But I'm unsure. Fired it up, and it squealed quietly/intermittently. AC works and engages/disengages, but...it smokes the clutch after a trip around the block. To make things more confusing, it gets hot even when left engaged.

What is going on!? Am I missing a tiny little shim? Is something supposed to go behind the pulley that I'm missing? Is it torqued too tight, too loose? I'm super disappointed, as this took the entire day and the damn part is way overpriced for what it is. Has anyone done this particular operation on a 94? Please help.

Thanks!