LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Nav unit died

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 11:38 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Nav unit died

Is it possible to acquire another trunk unit and plug it in to reenable nav radio again?
Old 01-19-19, 11:51 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-98-1998-99-1999-00-2000-Lexus-LS400-Navigation-GPS-Player-86841-50040/312253550250?epid=1317860989&hash=item48b3c30eaa:g:s0QAAOSw38VbsxZi

Like can I get this and plug it in.
Old 01-21-19, 03:10 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

you sure it's the trunk player? what if it's the headunit itself?
so you are unable to control the HVAC (heater, ac) as well?
Old 01-21-19, 03:15 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
you sure it's the trunk player? what if it's the headunit itself?
so you are unable to control the HVAC (heater, ac) as well?
I can control the HVAC from the buttons
Old 01-23-19, 07:15 AM
PaulM73
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly enough, I'm looking at that exact same unit. The one in my car was removed years ago by a previous owner and I never got around to replacing it.

To touch on the question of just plugging it in; yes, it's a simple install. However, If I'm not mistaken, the nav unit has an internal hard drive that is required for the nav to actually function. I would contact the vendor and find out if a hard drive is included.
Old 01-23-19, 07:18 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by PaulM73
Interestingly enough, I'm looking at that exact same unit. The one in my car was removed years ago by a previous owner and I never got around to replacing it.

To touch on the question of just plugging it in; yes, it's a simple install. However, If I'm not mistaken, the nav unit has an internal hard drive that is required for the nav to actually function. I would contact the vendor and find out if a hard drive is included.

I'm not concerned about the nav portion just the radio. My prior one didn't have functioning nav either.
Old 01-23-19, 07:47 AM
PaulM73
Driver School Candidate

So does your radio not function? My touch screen display and radio functions like normal, I just can't update the dash clock or obviously use the nav features. When I try and set the clock to the right region, I get an error message on the display that reads "Check Nav HDD"
Old 01-23-19, 07:50 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

So does your radio not function? My touch screen display and radio functions like normal, I just can't update the dash clock or obviously use the nav features. When I try and set the clock to the right region, I get an error message on the display that reads "Check Nav HDD"
Before water friend the trunk unit that's exactly what it did. Everything but nav worked. Now it's just off since either removed the trunk unit.

​​​​​
Old 01-23-19, 09:23 AM
PaulM73
Driver School Candidate

I would look at the dash LCD unit as being the culprit or start looking at fuses and connections. The nav unit in the trunk 'shouldn't' have any effect on the head unit or the LCD display. It's possible that the nav unit may have tripped something when it fried, but unlikely.
When I first bought my car again back in 2006 (long story), the nav unit had been removed, but it wasn't until I tried to change the time that I realized it was gone. Everything works as advertised with the exception of nav.
Old 01-23-19, 09:31 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

I would look at the dash LCD unit as being the culprit or start looking at fuses and connections. The nav unit in the trunk 'shouldn't' have any effect on the head unit or the LCD display. It's possible that the nav unit may have tripped something when it fried, but unlikely.
When I first bought my car again back in 2006 (long story), the nav unit had been removed, but it wasn't until I tried to change the time that I realized it was gone. Everything works as advertised with the exception of nav.
Fuses good but the way I read it the screen is merely a monitor and the trunk unit is a pc. That's how I see it
Old 01-23-19, 10:53 AM
PaulM73
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at the troubleshooting tree in the factory service manual (FSM) and that doesn't appear to be the case. The screen monitor/stereo is it's own unit, however it still relies on the amplifier under the seat as a power reference. (It looks like if one isn't powered, neither will the other one be) Which fuses have you checked? According to the FSM there are 3 fuses for the dash unit, Radio1, Radio2 and Dome. For the amp, there is one fuse marked AMP. I'm still trying to find the breakdown in the amp and wiring schematics, but I don't have the actual chassis electrical system book, so I've been looking online.
What I have found out though is that if there is a B+ (power) or ground short detected in the AVC-LAN then the system won't power up.

I would double check all the fuses with a meter and then start reading connections. Verify you are grounded at all the appropriate spots and have power where you need to have power.
Old 01-23-19, 11:06 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

I'm looking at the troubleshooting tree in the factory service manual (FSM) and that doesn't appear to be the case. The screen monitor/stereo is it's own unit, however it still relies on the amplifier under the seat as a power reference. (It looks like if one isn't powered, neither will the other one be) Which fuses have you checked? According to the FSM there are 3 fuses for the dash unit, Radio1, Radio2 and Dome. For the amp, there is one fuse marked AMP. I'm still trying to find the breakdown in the amp and wiring schematics, but I don't have the actual chassis electrical system book, so I've been looking online.
What I have found out though is that if there is a B+ (power) or ground short detected in the AVC-LAN then the system won't power up.

I would double check all the fuses with a meter and then start reading connections. Verify you are grounded at all the appropriate spots and have power where you need to have power.
​​​​​​
I'll have those checked, unit arrives this week. Hopefully it's just it
Old 02-07-19, 09:34 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

I plugged in the replacement, everything works again. Even nav for some reason
The following users liked this post:
spuds (02-09-19)