LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tales of P1349 and P1346

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19 | 02:30 PM
ttam281
Driver School Candidate

Default Tales of P1349 and P1346

Had a P1349 pop up. Searched and found it was caused by a OCV on bank one (driver side). This of course triggered misfires all down bank one (cylinders 1,3,5,7). I pulled the valve and put 12v on the prongs and it opened. So I cleaned it, put it back in and drove away. The problem remained. So I did a ton of stuff trying to find what's going on because the valve worked. I finally paid the money and replaced it voila, problem solved. Bottom line, even if the OCV seems to work when power is applied, just swap it out.
The following users liked this post:
LS400FAN (02-13-19)
Old 01-23-19 | 04:29 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I tried cleaning mine when it was acting up and throwing misfire codes. It worked for a little while but the codes returned. A new one solved everything also.
LS400FAN (02-13-19)
Old 02-13-19 | 10:00 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ttam281
Had a P1349 pop up. Searched and found it was caused by a OCV on bank one (driver side). This of course triggered misfires all down bank one (cylinders 1,3,5,7). I pulled the valve and put 12v on the prongs and it opened. So I cleaned it, put it back in and drove away. The problem remained. So I did a ton of stuff trying to find what's going on because the valve worked. I finally paid the money and replaced it voila, problem solved. Bottom line, even if the OCV seems to work when power is applied, just swap it out.
Ok here's the deal, I'm currently getting the 1354 code (vvti bank 2), but even with that code and the vsc cel, the car still runs very smoothly without any issues. I just replaced a bad starter and while I was in there I removed, tested, and cleaned both ocv's, reversed flushed the filters. The car ran and still runs smoothly but 150 miles later, the vsc cel just appeared. My guess is to recheck the connector and wiring because its not (at least right now) causing any engine issues. Maybe its something other than the ocv, if I keep getting the code after erasing it, I may just swap it out. It's a good thing the eng still runs smoothly and seemingly unaffected.
Old 02-14-19 | 07:14 AM
ttam281
Driver School Candidate

Definitely check the connection first. I was very much the same way. The valve failing wasn't very noticeable, just every now and then the idle would be a bit rough. And when I say rough, I mean a very minor dip. It would still maintain idle just fine, but with a bit more vibration and at a lower RPM. Cleaned mine, checked it, seemed to work just fine but without an oscilloscope, we can't see what the computer is seeing. I caused myself undue stress trying to NOT replace it. At the end of the day, if all the connections are good and the computer still says it's bad, just replace it and go back to enjoying your LS400.
LS400FAN (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19 | 09:48 AM
Legender
Racer

Just replace both of them at the same time and be done with it.
I'd also recommend that on O2 sensors. Had a problem with my Tundra. Just went ahead and replaced all 4 sensors and truck drives like new. Pretty sure sensors are wear items and performance may deteriorate over time before they get bad enough to trigger a problem. Not an expert, just relaying my experience. Of course, very easy to change on the Tundra as all the connections are underneath and easy to reach.
LS400FAN (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19 | 02:30 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ttam281
Definitely check the connection first. I was very much the same way. The valve failing wasn't very noticeable, just every now and then the idle would be a bit rough. And when I say rough, I mean a very minor dip. It would still maintain idle just fine, but with a bit more vibration and at a lower RPM. Cleaned mine, checked it, seemed to work just fine but without an oscilloscope, we can't see what the computer is seeing. I caused myself undue stress trying to NOT replace it. At the end of the day, if all the connections are good and the computer still says it's bad, just replace it and go back to enjoying your LS400.
Thanks much I will definitely give it serious consideration if its not a wiring issue.
Old 02-14-19 | 02:33 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Legender
Just replace both of them at the same time and be done with it.
I'd also recommend that on O2 sensors. Had a problem with my Tundra. Just went ahead and replaced all 4 sensors and truck drives like new. Pretty sure sensors are wear items and performance may deteriorate over time before they get bad enough to trigger a problem. Not an expert, just relaying my experience. Of course, very easy to change on the Tundra as all the connections are underneath and easy to reach.
Good advice and you may be spot on about the O2 sensors since I've been getting the "430" code for quite some time now, thanks.
Old 02-22-19 | 03:02 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
Thanks much I will definitely give it serious consideration if its not a wiring issue.
Ok my friends, here's an update on my previous 1354 (vvti malfunction) code and the end result (so far). First of all, I was suspicious that the ocv solenoid was bad because the code only started appearing after I replaced the starter, I never saw the code before I changed the starter which probably meant it was a loose connection when I reconnected all of the electrical connectors. So pulled the ocv (rt) connector, cleaned and tightened the contacts inside of the connector and the VSC-off indicator went away, and the 1354 codes and have not reappeared in a week, so for now I'm assuming problem solved. It just didn't make sense to me that I "suddenly" had a bad ocv immediately after unplugging/reconnecting the ocv connector as a result of replacing a bad starter. So for now, I'm good to go, sometimes its a good thing to logically think things through before replacing items, I'm glad I did so in this case. Thanks to all who shared their experiences in regards to this issue.
Cheers!
Old 02-26-19 | 02:00 AM
EkimAtled
Driver School Candidate

Please would you kindly explain how you "A) cleaned and B) tightened the contacts inside of the connector " LS400 Fan
Old 03-02-19 | 01:11 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EkimAtled
Please would you kindly explain how you "A) cleaned and B) tightened the contacts inside of the connector " LS400 Fan
Update: Referring to your post, I spoke too soon. First of all, what I meant about cleaning and tightening the contact was simply sticking a safety pin inside the connector female contacts and scraping them side to side, and then squeezing the metal contacts together to get a more snug fit when I plugged it back up. I thought that fixed my issue, but as I've just found out 2 days ago, the problem returned and I will now follow the sound advice given on this thread replace the vvti ocv's. Hopefully, that will put this issue to rest, I will keep the bd updated on my progress. Sheesh....I wish I had done this a couple of weeks ago like I was advised to do so, I'm learning.
Old 03-03-19 | 12:36 AM
EkimAtled
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Update: Referring to your post, I spoke too soon. First of all, what I meant about cleaning and tightening the contact was simply sticking a safety pin inside the connector female contacts and scraping them side to side, and then squeezing the metal contacts together to get a more snug fit when I plugged it back up. I thought that fixed my issue, but as I've just found out 2 days ago, the problem returned and I will now follow the sound advice given on this thread replace the vvti ocv's. Hopefully, that will put this issue to rest, I will keep the bd updated on my progress. Sheesh....I wish I had done this a couple of weeks ago like I was advised to do so, I'm learning.
Thank you LS400 Fan.

Replacing those parts also gets you new / clean contacts.

I've nothing against replacing parts.
I would like to be able to clean the old connector as well.
New wine, old jars.

Has anyone found an efficient way to clean contacts please?

I have little faith in "Contact Cleaner" sprays
There's nothing in them to clean oxide off metal.

Has anyone tried soldering flux for instance.
The flux needs cleaning off afterwards of course.
Old 03-03-19 | 01:19 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EkimAtled
Thank you LS400 Fan.

Replacing those parts also gets you new / clean contacts.

I've nothing against replacing parts.
I would like to be able to clean the old connector as well.
New wine, old jars.

Has anyone found an efficient way to clean contacts please?

I have little faith in "Contact Cleaner" sprays
There's nothing in them to clean oxide off metal.

Has anyone tried soldering flux for instance.
The flux needs cleaning off afterwards of course.
In all honesty Ekim..., based on what I've noticed it may not be necessary to give too much concern to these electrical connectors unless the wiring and/or plastic become compromised which exposes them to corrosive moisture, for the most part they do a pretty good job of sealing out dirt and other elements. I would definitely tape any "exposed" wiring or "broken" connectors because that most certainly will lead to problems if left unchecked. The LS engine throws off a lot of heat and over time can have a negative effect on wiring insulation and brittle connectors. When I bought my '98 LS 14 yrs ago, I practically taped most of the wiring harness due to frayed insulation, the old adage of an "ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure" is so true. Good luck.
Old 03-03-19 | 01:49 PM
EkimAtled
Driver School Candidate

In all honesty Ekim..., based on what I've noticed it may not be necessary to give too much concern to these electrical connectors unless the wiring and/or plastic become compromised which exposes them to corrosive moisture, for the most part they do a pretty good job of sealing out dirt and other elements. I would definitely tape any "exposed" wiring or "broken" connectors because that most certainly will lead to problems if left unchecked. The LS engine throws off a lot of heat and over time can have a negative effect on wiring insulation and brittle connectors. When I bought my '98 LS 14 yrs ago, I practically taped most of the wiring harness due to frayed insulation, the old adage of an "ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure" is so true. Good luck.
I wish LS400 fan

Briefly
Metals can be divided into 2 sorts.
Noble metals, and the rest.

Noble metals stay shiny.

The rest go dull.
Tarnish / corrode,
No matter how dry you keep them.

Tarnish builds up between contacts
forcing them apart / increasing resistance.

Top rate hifi equipment uses gold plated stuff.
Even a little tarnish upsets sound quality.
Gold stays shiny.

It's the oxygen in the air that does it.
Heat speeds up tarnishing.
Metal tarnishes twice as fast for every 10C rise.
Old 03-07-19 | 09:50 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

ALL ::: about 4 years ago my 1349 came on, drivers side, I took it out cleaned with carb cleaner AND got my pinchers and a small piece of cloth soaked in c/cleaner and swabbed out the CHAMBER it fits in, until it came out clean... put it together and no more 1349.. on a 99LS...
you can look it up, it is on here with photos.
The following 2 users liked this post by billydpowe:
BNastee (02-14-22), LS400FAN (03-08-19)
Old 03-07-19 | 10:05 AM
EkimAtled
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
ALL ::: about 4 years ago my 1349 came on, drivers side, I took it out cleaned with carb cleaner AND got my pinchers and a small piece of cloth soaked in c/cleaner and swabbed out the CHAMBER it fits in, until it came out clean... put it together and no more 1349.. on a 99LS...
you can look it up, it is on here with photos.
Thank you very much Billy D.

That''s amazing, just carb cleaner, and 4 years later it's still working

Quick Reply: Tales of P1349 and P1346