LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992 LS400 Timing belt needs to be changed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 02:32 PM
LJBSJB
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 LS400 Timing belt needs to be changed

My 1992 LS400 timing belt is way overdue for a change. Almost everything else is working well, from a non-mechanic's perspective.
Two questions:
(1) What else, besides the timing belt, should I be replacing? Chasing down several previous threads, am I right in thinking I need to also replace the water pump, 2 idler pulleys, 2 bearings and a tensioner?
(2) Where do you suggest I buy these items? I'm in Eastern Canada, and my local dealer, an hour away, is not responding to my inquiries. With next day shipping, I don't think the "where" of the supplier matters, only the "who" that they are reliable, and the "what" that the parts are good quality.
Thank you for your input. I'm looking forward to having this behind me, so I can carry on down the road with confidence again.
Old 01-29-19, 05:13 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

yes you should be replacing other components other than the belt itself while you have most of the front engine timing parts off.
you don't need to buy directly from the dealer, as there are many sellers online that sell the same parts lexus uses. keep reading the many threads covering this subject for more details.
you can start at rockauto.com and look for a "TB/WP kit" for your year LS400.

these are the OEM suppliers (same as if you bought from the dealer):
- timing belt is Mitsuboshi (not Mitsubishi)
- water pump is Aisin
- pulleys should be of a known Japanese brand (like NOK or NTN)
- hydraulic tensioner is Toyota/Lexus

I would also replace the cam and crank seals while there, something I failed to do which I regretted!
while there I would also replace the distributor caps (x2) and rotors (x2).
Old 01-30-19, 05:57 AM
LJBSJB
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
yes you should be replacing other components other than the belt itself while you have most of the front engine timing parts off.
you don't need to buy directly from the dealer, as there are many sellers online that sell the same parts lexus uses. keep reading the many threads covering this subject for more details.

- water pump is Aisin

I would also replace the cam and crank seals while there, something I failed to do which I regretted!
Thanks! I'll head to this web site and look for these brand names today.
Old 01-30-19, 10:45 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

How "due" are you based on miles and years? More data will help others make decisions about how long things can last in these cars.

I don't know about the Lexus, but I just did a timing belt job on my wife's Honda minivan, using an Aisin kit. If Aisin also made a kit for the Lexus, I'd definitely look into that.

However, on the 90-94, the engines are not interference, so if the belt were to fail, there would be no permanent engine damage. Knowing this, my strategy on my old '91 is to wait either for that to happen, or for some other problem that requires me to get all the way in there. I'm currently at 17 years and 80k miles on this one.

Again, depending on your mileage, the "fan bracket" (the bearing in a cast Aluminum assembly fails) typically fails at 150-200k miles. I had to replace mine at 174k, and it would have been a great time to do the T belt too. I would have done it, but I needed to get somewhere ASAP on a trip and could not delay. Removing the fan bracket is part of the TB job, so replacing with new is no extra work, just $$.
Old 01-30-19, 11:41 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
How "due" are you based on miles and years? More data will help others make decisions about how long things can last in these cars.

I don't know about the Lexus, but I just did a timing belt job on my wife's Honda minivan, using an Aisin kit. If Aisin also made a kit for the Lexus, I'd definitely look into that.

However, on the 90-94, the engines are not interference, so if the belt were to fail, there would be no permanent engine damage. Knowing this, my strategy on my old '91 is to wait either for that to happen, or for some other problem that requires me to get all the way in there. I'm currently at 17 years and 80k miles on this one.

Again, depending on your mileage, the "fan bracket" (the bearing in a cast Aluminum assembly fails) typically fails at 150-200k miles. I had to replace mine at 174k, and it would have been a great time to do the T belt too. I would have done it, but I needed to get somewhere ASAP on a trip and could not delay. Removing the fan bracket is part of the TB job, so replacing with new is no extra work, just $$.
Excellent advice on the fan bracket. I had to replace mine at around 225k while I was doing my timing belt. Great timing.I did my last belt change with a gates kit, but if I had to do it again, I would go with Aisin.
Old 01-30-19, 03:56 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

- water pump is Aisin

How much can be applied to the 99 ls400?
Old 02-11-19, 04:12 AM
LJBSJB
Rookie

Follow-up:
We replaced the timing belt, water pump, plug wires and serpentine belt.
Found a power steering reservoir leak that explained why I was loosing fluid, and we're going to replace the power steering pump this weekend.
Hopefully the car will pass inspection tomorrow. One resonator is leaking right where the pipe enters it, due to rot, and I'm hoping they will just cut it out and put in a straight pipe, since I can't find a resonator anywhere.
Getting ready for a 3 month road trip!
Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-28-19, 06:20 AM
wilp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would someone tell me what is a recommended sealant to use when water pump is replaced on 94 ls400 , nothing came with the pump. Dealer changed it last time and black sealant was used by them .Thanks
Old 07-28-19, 06:43 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by wilp
Would someone tell me what is a recommended sealant to use when water pump is replaced on 94 ls400 , nothing came with the pump. Dealer changed it last time and black sealant was used by them .Thanks
SURE:: just go to Toyota dealer and ask for water pump sealer for their 400 engine... much lower price than lexus. and you have the BEST..
OR go get this:

Last edited by billydpowe; 07-28-19 at 06:53 AM. Reason: photo
Old 07-28-19, 09:09 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel

Surveyed a 1993 timing belt by removing plastic
Distributor cover.

It exhibits cracking and can fail at any time.

Should it break while under way...the engine stops turning the power steering pump and power vacuum assisted braking is lost after one pedal pump.

Since failure is without a 5 minute warning, depending on the driving situation,. this can become a real safety issue.

Never mind the towing charge and inconvenience

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-28-19 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-28-19, 11:23 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Surveyed a 1993 timing belt by removing plastic
Distributor cover.

It exhibits cracking and can fail at any time.

Should it break while under way...the engine stops turning the power steering pump and power vacuum assisted braking is lost after one pedal pump.

Since failure is without a 5 minute warning, depending on the driving situation,. this can become a real safety issue.

Never mind the towing charge and inconvenience
Yes, of course, a failed timing belt (almost unheard of) is ++ on the list of dozens of things in your car that can kill the engine at any time. But it is much less likely and equally dangerous to all those other things. (90-94 only, of course)
Old 07-29-19, 09:34 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I have used 2 full Aisin kits from Rockauto and I bought a lexus oem timing belt tensioner. All quality parts with ntn bearings. Super cheap on RockAuto, $150. While you're in there, replace the camshaft and crankshaft seals. Buy lexus/toyota seals. Check all your accessory bearings; idler, radiator fan, and the like. If you're willing to spend a little extra time and money, also replace distributors (2), rotors (2), spark plugs, and spark plug wires. They're right there and easy to get to. Check valve cover gaskets for seepage and replace those along with the spark plug tube seals. Especially check for oil getting into the spark plug tubes, you don't want that. Another thing is the temperature sensor that goes to the ECU, located toward the passenger side on the front of the engine. Super cheap part, very worth replacing. Be prepared to also check vacuum lines and to clean clean CLEAN as you go along. There's going to be a lot of dust, dirt, and grime. Good luck! Take care of the car and it will never fail you.
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (07-29-19)