LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

NEED HELP _ engine revs and smokes at startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 07:17 PM
dmadzhitov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP _ engine revs and smokes at startup

1995 LS400. Got it cheap to rebuild. Overhauled engine - did valve job, replaced gaskets, water pump, timing belt, injectors, spark plugs and wires.

Now when I start it - it starts up and engine revs up to 2000-2500 rpms and stays there. Also there is blue/black smoke comes out of exhaust - a lot!
I've replaced ECU 3 times! Original was leaked and damaged.
1st one used and I re-soldered capacitors on it. No effect.
2nd one was used from online store. No effect.
Got donor wrecked car (I drove that car - no problem with engine), pulled ECU from it and installed. No effect.
Also pulled the Idle Air Control Valve from donor and put it in a car. No effect.
Cant figure it out. No codes showing and no CEL.
Can it be that new injectors are always open?

Thanks

Old 02-10-19, 09:41 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

it could be as simple as a vacuum leak leading to a high idle.
blue/black smoke is oil burning, which could be from the power steering IAC valve which tends to leak and causes PS fluid to get sucked into the intake tract and burned.

why the overhaul on the engine? not holding compression?
Old 02-12-19, 05:49 AM
dmadzhitov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I've got it it was working rough with white smoke from exhaust. I assumed it was head gasket and I was "eh, screw it, I will overhaul it" since I was planing to keep it for my pleasure riding. Still do. So overhaul looked promising. I've done a lot of V6s like 1MZ-FE but this one is tough. By "overhaul" I meant valve job, gaskets, water pump/timing belt but NOT new pistons/rings/bearings. It is only 96K on it.

I'll try to re-check all vacuum lines. Again. I don't think it is oil burning, as it strongly smells half burned gasoline. I know about power steering thing so I will check it too. Maybe it is a combination of several things.

Is there any tricks to see if ECU is properly working?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-19, 07:01 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dmadzhitov
When I've got it it was working rough with white smoke from exhaust. I assumed it was head gasket and I was "eh, screw it, I will overhaul it" since I was planing to keep it for my pleasure riding. Still do. So overhaul looked promising. I've done a lot of V6s like 1MZ-FE but this one is tough. By "overhaul" I meant valve job, gaskets, water pump/timing belt but NOT new pistons/rings/bearings. It is only 96K on it.

I'll try to re-check all vacuum lines. Again. I don't think it is oil burning, as it strongly smells half burned gasoline. I know about power steering thing so I will check it too. Maybe it is a combination of several things
Is there any tricks to see if ECU is properly working?
Sorry Timmy, didn't see your post!

Thanks.
'The smoke is more than likely the idle up control valve on your power steering pump. The valve tends to leak over time throwing oil back into the intake by the two tubes. Since you've tried several ECU's, I'd stop trying any more. These engines at 90k miles usually don't need any rework on them. I'd take a good look at the hoses and their routing.