LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Check vsc

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 11:13 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Check vsc

Ls400 1999

If there was one, what would be the checklist to look at for check vsc?
Old 02-10-19, 11:35 PM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

The Check VSC light on my 99 would always come on after disconnecting the battery or when the battery was about to die.
Old 02-10-19, 11:40 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
The Check VSC light on my 99 would always come on after disconnecting the battery or when the battery was about to die.
When I bought it the battery was dead would not jump nor hold a charge. So I bought a new battery from Walmart was like $50. Think it's that?
Old 02-10-19, 11:50 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
When I bought it the battery was dead would not jump nor hold a charge. So I bought a new battery from Walmart was like $50. Think it's that?
?
When was this?
Old 02-10-19, 11:58 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

?
When was this?
August September 2018, been popping up and going away randomly. Sometimes check vsc is on upon startup then gone shortly after. Others it comes on maybe 10 20 minutes after driving. Sometimes never comes on in 2 hr drives. Checked the alternator as well as PE pump not leaking into it.
Old 02-11-19, 12:21 AM
bradland

Hmmmm, that's random...
You might try cleaning the battery terminals sometimes they can surprise you.
Old 02-11-19, 07:41 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Hmmmm, that's random...
I did they are clean, maybe new cables?

Ill post a pic later, maybe they need to be cleaner lol

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 02-11-19 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 08:39 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to read the code connecting TC with E1 with a pin
Old 02-11-19, 08:43 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by qewani1
try to read the code connecting TC with E1 with a pin
I dont know what that means
Old 02-11-19, 09:23 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Hmmmm, that's random...

Old 02-13-19, 09:12 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
I dont know what that means
First of all Sin..I would purchase an OBD II diagnostic code scanner that you can plug in yourself right underneath and left of the steering wheel that will give you a code of why you're getting the VSC cel, or you can go to Autozone and they will do the scan free of charge, otherwise it's all guesswork. Btw, you can buy a pretty good scanner for about $50-$70 bucks. The VSC cel can be triggered by almost anything, its best to save time and money getting the code and go right to the source of the problem. Btw, that's exactly what your Lexus dealer would do., good luck.
Old 02-14-19, 08:10 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
First of all Sin..I would purchase an OBD II diagnostic code scanner that you can plug in yourself right underneath and left of the steering wheel that will give you a code of why you're getting the VSC cel, or you can go to Autozone and they will do the scan free of charge, otherwise it's all guesswork. Btw, you can buy a pretty good scanner for about $50-$70 bucks. The VSC cel can be triggered by almost anything, its best to save time and money getting the code and go right to the source of the problem. Btw, that's exactly what your Lexus dealer would do., good luck.
Only code it had was of a busted purge valve. CEL is not on when Check VSC is triggered.
Old 02-14-19, 07:56 PM
basilpluss
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Back when I would replace parts on my ls400 I would disconnect the battery and I think I remember the light coming on 1 or 2 times within a period of a few weeks. I have a snap-on scanner so I just cleared the light. But I would drive on over to an Autozone or Oriley's and have both the battery and the alternator checked (FREE SERVICE) because that looks like a Walmart battery and they are not known for selling the best quality batteries. And get the alternator checked because if you are leaking any power steering fluid the alternator does sit right below the pump and fluid might be leaking into the alternator causing a problem / or there is not enough charge from the alternator. The VSC light comes on for either an electrical issue, or there is an issue with the stability control itself. I would also honestly check the cables running from the terminals. While the terminal's themselves are clean I can still see that there was previously corrosion, the cable itself may have built up corrosion itself inside, like in the picture below.

Hope this helps you
Old 02-14-19, 07:57 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by basilpluss
Back when I would replace parts on my ls400 I would disconnect the battery and I think I remember the light coming on 1 or 2 times within a period of a few weeks. I have a snap-on scanner so I just cleared the light. But I would drive on over to an Autozone or Oriley's and have both the battery and the alternator checked (FREE SERVICE) because that looks like a Walmart battery and they are not known for selling the best quality batteries. And get the alternator checked because if you are leaking any power steering fluid the alternator does sit right below the pump and fluid might be leaking into the alternator causing a problem / or there is not enough charge from the alternator. The VSC light comes on for either an electrical issue, or there is an issue with the stability control itself. I would also honestly check the cables running from the terminals. While the terminal's themselves are clean I can still see that there was previously corrosion, the cable itself may have built up corrosion itself inside, like in the picture below.

Hope this helps you
Battery and alternator were among the first things to be checked.
Old 02-14-19, 08:04 PM
basilpluss
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

do you know what the output of the alternator was?

Quick Reply: Check vsc