LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Picking up my (new to me) 98 LS400 in 5 days

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 05:46 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 109 Posts

Do you see any record of the timing belt having been done? Kuni Lexus of Greenwood diagnosed the water pump as leaking back in Sept of last year and recommended that the water pump and timing belt be done. I don't see that the customer agreed to the service and there is no record of it ever having been done by Lexus in the service history. Only 530 miles have been put on it since the diagnosis so either someone else did the pump (and hopefully the timing belt) or it stopped leaking on its own, was never leaking, or someone put stop leak in it, or...

Last edited by Fit1too; 02-12-19 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 05:49 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

On the plus side, the instrument cluster has been replaced, the starter, the AC compressor, fuel injectors and a lot more. That timing belt is a must though!
Old 02-12-19, 08:19 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fit1too
Do you see any record of the timing belt having been done? Kuni Lexus of Greenwood diagnosed the water pump as leaking back in Sept of last year and recommended that the water pump and timing belt be done. I don't see that the customer agreed to the service and there is no record of it ever having been done by Lexus in the service history. Only 530 miles have been put on it since the diagnosis so either someone else did the pump (and hopefully the timing belt) or it stopped leaking on its own, was never leaking, or someone put stop leak in it, or...
I saw this, the dealer said they saw no leakage which was interesting. Do you really think a dealership would leave an original timing belt on a car with replaced headgaskets? They had to take it off for the replacement
Old 02-12-19, 08:53 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

That's a good thought. I guess you would have to have the actual receipt to know for sure. The thing is, they did the head gasket in June. If they replaced the belt in June with the head gaskets, why would they recommend doing it again 3 months later? You might call Kuni Lexus and ask them. You never know, you might get a decent service tech that will help you out. On my 98, one of the last things the dealer suggested was an AC compressor. The previous owner declined the service and took it to a local garage and had it done. He also had them (local garage) do the valve cover gaskets. Probably saved him an arm and a leg. Point being, the previous owner may have had the water pump done somewhere else.
Old 02-12-19, 09:11 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

That's a good thought. I guess you would have to have the actual receipt to know for sure. The thing is, they did the head gasket in June. If they replaced the belt in June with the head gaskets, why would they recommend doing it again 3 months later? You might call Kuni Lexus and ask them. You never know, you might get a decent service tech that will help you out. On my 98, one of the last things the dealer suggested was an AC compressor. The previous owner declined the service and took it to a local garage and had it done. He also had them (local garage) do the valve cover gaskets. Probably saved him an arm and a leg. Point being, the previous owner may have had the water pump done somewhere else.
I'll give them a call tomorrow, the lexus website is far more detailed then the carfax.
Old 02-13-19, 07:36 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cptnslo
I'll give them a call tomorrow, the lexus website is far more detailed then the cafax.
Also, some places don't report to Carfax. I like Carfax, but the information is not always totally accurate. The website once reported that a car of mine had been involved in an accident while in my possession. I had to go round and round with them on that one to get it removed from the report. I always use them, but they don't show everything and they are not as affordable as they used to be.
Old 02-13-19, 07:49 AM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Also, some places don't report to Carfax. I like Carfax, but the information is not always totally accurate. The website once reported that a car of mine had been involved in an accident while in my possession. I had to go round and round with them on that one to get it removed from the report. I always use them, but they don't show everything and they are not as affordable as they used to be.
of I definitely agree 100%, I've had issues with them in the past showing different information then an auto check report shows.
Old 02-13-19, 10:46 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

I'll give them a call tomorrow, the lexus website is far more detailed then the carfax.
Some dealerships, if the car has been serviced by them, will give you the complete service records from their side. I got a completely detailed service list as both previous owners had it serviced almost exclusively at the dealership.

It even had service tech notes and troubleshooting steps. It was a really nice touch. A lot of stuff was on there that wasn't on the carfax.
Old 02-13-19, 10:49 AM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Some dealerships, if the car has been serviced by them, will give you the complete service records from their side. I got a completely detailed service list as both previous owners had it serviced almost exclusively at the dealership.

It even had service tech notes and troubleshooting steps. It was a really nice touch. A lot of stuff was on there that wasn't on the carfax.
I used the lexus website, one of the first comments on this thread suggested it and its through lexus themselves. I put the vin in and it will pull up every service record for the car written at the dealerships and it def comes across as if its written by the service techs. The dealership I'm buying the car from is a little dealer so idk if they have the same type of situations as if I bought it from a larger dealer
Old 02-13-19, 10:50 AM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Originally Posted by kambam3627
my 99 LS had this color, antique bronze mica I believe it was called, do not get this car if the paint is fading, it looks so bad. I wish I had pics of how bad the clear coat faded on mine, I’m not saying don’t get it but when that paint goes.... it goes...
I'll be carefully checking the paint when I get there. Thankfully I do detail work on the side so some microabrasions etc will be polished out prior to me ceramic coating the entire car.
Old 02-17-19, 02:02 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Well I picked her up and am so happy! The 5 hour drive yesterday was so smooth and the silence at 95mph is eerie. 5 hours back to Texas today and she can finally get a wash. Averaged about 27mpg on the freeway too! 👍👍

thought the og here would approve of the original lexus med kit and the original tool kit with all the tools too haha
Old 02-17-19, 02:32 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

looks great! does yours have the lexus pen and flashlight too?

i'm jealous that you got to drive it on big open texas freeways lol... the LS really comes into its element in the 2nd half of the speedometer
Old 02-17-19, 03:05 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Great news. Glad it went well. These are great cruisers. My tool kit was missing the screwdriver (found one on eBay) and the pen light (found a similar size version at Walmart). Now the fun begins, wash, wax, detail, etc. Enjoy!
Old 02-17-19, 04:43 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Sexy!!!!!!
Old 02-17-19, 11:17 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Well I picked her up and am so happy! The 5 hour drive yesterday was so smooth and the silence at 95mph is eerie. 5 hours back to Texas today and she can finally get a wash. Averaged about 27mpg on the freeway too! 👍👍

thought the og here would approve of the original lexus med kit and the original tool kit with all the tools too haha
What tires are on it

Quick Reply: Picking up my (new to me) 98 LS400 in 5 days