LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

High pressure power steering hose leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 11:00 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default High pressure power steering hose leaking

Had a mechanic replace a power steering pump and alternator in December (both original parts), I noticed this week the pump is leaking. I took it back to them and they said that their labor work does not cover new hoses or new clamps. I was told that a new high pressure power steering hose would cost $600 through the dealer. I suppose the best route would be to get a complete power steering pump hose kit through RockAuto. Here are some pictures of my problem and the estimate which was $1310....lol..... mind you that I paid them 90 days ago $400 to replace a power steering pump and alternator

I don't like the clamp and the hose does not look factory.
Old 03-07-19, 11:45 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

The hose can be replaced for a few dollars at an hydraulics shop... won't help the rest of the R&P but you can get the hose fixed cheap. I've done that. If he used anything but a hydraulic specific hose on the PS reservoir, it will leak. Don't ask me how I know... Tried a fuel line and didn't last.
Old 03-07-19, 12:24 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

You'd have to mortgage your house to pay them to repair all those things listed on that quote. The most expensive pressure hose on Rockauto is only $85 (for my 98, not sure of your model year). I'd try hard to never go back there. I realize that's easy to say, but guys on this forum are buying cars for that price. Are you able to replace it yourself? Also, I noticed Rockauto listed 2 different pressure hoses. One is 'tube to rack' and the other is 'from pump".
Old 03-07-19, 12:30 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Nothing in the photo looks like it has been replaced recently. Re using the reservoir is perfectly normal but the pump it's sitting on looks well used. The writing on the reservoir isn't normal either. I'd be suspicious they installed a used pump that prob wasn't even re built...
Old 03-07-19, 12:38 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Default Junkyard

Originally Posted by bradland
Nothing in the photo looks like it has been replaced recently. Re using the reservoir is perfectly normal but the pump it's sitting on looks well used. The writing on the reservoir isn't normal either. I'd be suspicious they installed a used pump that prob wasn't even re built...
I got the power steering pump from the junkyard for $50 with a 90-day warranty, the alternator was brand-new from RockAuto
Old 03-07-19, 12:45 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by OMAHA
I got the power steering pump from the junkyard for $50 with a 90-day warranty, the alternator was brand-new from RockAuto
That's more than likely the root of your problem. Almost EVERY LS suffers from power steering pump issues. The odds of finding a good one in a junk yard is almost impossible. You just took one step forward but two steps back... Unfortunately even the rebuilt PS pump market is notoriously bad. You might get lucky with a rebuilt pump from Rockauto or a local parts store but the only way out of this is a new Lexus pump. Sorry

Old 03-07-19, 01:08 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

So you'll have to figure out if the leak is from the pump or the hose. What year is your car? Butler Lexus in Atlanta has a pump for $485 (my 98)- https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...432050020.html
You could call around locally to save shipping. If they quote a higher price, mention this dealership and see if they will work with you on it.
Old 03-07-19, 01:13 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Old seals, bearings, o-rings and worn vanes/internals in a junkyard p.s. pump do not inspire confidence.

To avoid destroying your new alternator, obtain a new OEM P.S. pump.

Nothing but horror stories on aftermarket P.S. pumps installed in LS400.

Lifetime warranties on aftermarket P.S
pumps are nothing more than inducement to make you believe you are receiving a quality rebuild.

Unless the rebuilder can document which partsreplaced, with OEM parts, then expect the worst
Old 03-07-19, 01:26 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Old seals, bearings, o-rings and worn vanes/internals in a junkyard p.s. pump do not inspire confidence.

To avoid destroying your new alternator, obtain a new OEM P.S. pump.

Nothing but horror stories on aftermarket P.S. pumps installed in LS400.

Lifetime warranties on aftermarket P.S
pumps are nothing more than inducement to make you believe you are receiving a quality rebuild.

Unless the rebuilder can document which partsreplaced, with OEM parts, then expect the worst
Exactly! It would be okay if the part was easy to R&R, but with this and the starter, you just can't chance it.
Old 03-08-19, 07:53 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed a $40 ebay high pressure hose two years ago. It worked well and no leaks.
The following users liked this post:
Dinocards (02-26-20)
Old 03-08-19, 09:25 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Default No more

Originally Posted by Fit1too
You'd have to mortgage your house to pay them to repair all those things listed on that quote. The most expensive pressure hose on Rockauto is only $85 (for my 98, not sure of your model year). I'd try hard to never go back there. I realize that's easy to say, but guys on this forum are buying cars for that price. Are you able to replace it yourself? Also, I noticed Rockauto listed 2 different pressure hoses. One is 'tube to rack' and the other is 'from pump".
yes I am not going back to them again in the future. They were recommended to me last year because they are a Toyota specific shop but the last two times they did work on my car I was not satisfied.
Old 03-08-19, 09:29 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bradland
That's more than likely the root of your problem. Almost EVERY LS suffers from power steering pump issues. The odds of finding a good one in a junk yard is almost impossible. You just took one step forward but two steps back... Unfortunately even the rebuilt PS pump market is notoriously bad. You might get lucky with a rebuilt pump from Rockauto or a local parts store but the only way out of this is a new Lexus pump. Sorry
yes I took a chance..... I had previously bought a aftermarket power steering pump but they convinced me to get a original one so I returned the pump and went to the junkyard and got one for $50 with a 90-day warranty, original part with reservoir and pulley. So now I have two original pumps.
Old 03-08-19, 09:30 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fit1too
so you'll have to figure out if the leak is from the pump or the hose. What year is your car? Butler lexus in atlanta has a pump for $485 (my 98)- https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...432050020.html
you could call around locally to save shipping. If they quote a higher price, mention this dealership and see if they will work with you on it.
1994 ls 400
Old 03-08-19, 11:41 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

I checked ButlerLexus and the price is the same for a 94 model. If it is just the line though, you could really get by a lot cheaper. Is there another shop you could take it to. Like I said before, the line is waaaay cheaper than what they want. That quote would be indicative of the pump R&R. I know it is easy to criticize and I realize that shops have a lot of expense and they oftentimes deal with people who want their old rattle trap to be transformed into a new chariot, but the price is off. It can be difficult to find a good shop. Ask around at the local parts stores and see who they recommend. I would think any good shop could replace the hose, not just a shop that specializes in Lexus or Toyota. You could call Autozone or the like and get a parts quote before hand so you are armed with relevant info.
Old 03-08-19, 11:57 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

yes I took a chance..... I had previously bought a aftermarket power steering pump but they convinced me to get a original one so I returned the pump and went to the junkyard and got one for $50 with a 90-day warranty, original part with reservoir and pulley. So now I have two original pumps.
Lexus informs me they only offer rebuilt P.S. pumps for 1993-1994 LS400.

Should be more affordable..and correct parts used in rebuild.

Check with Javier at McGrath Lexus parts in Chicago for a quote.

Quick Reply: High pressure power steering hose leaking