LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Had it aligned....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 12:19 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Had it aligned....

Had my 99 aligned after strut rod bushings...and noticed the left side being oddly uneven...here are some pics....I need to take it back right?

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 03-09-19 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 12:57 AM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Really hard to tell in a photo. Parallax error and angles make too much of a difference. Is it driving fine?
Old 03-09-19, 12:59 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Moarpower
Really hard to tell in a photo. Parallax error and angles make too much of a difference. Is it driving fine?
Its clearer in person but the driver's side....the wheel is a bit further back in the well while the passenger side is even. It no longer pulls left but feels like it pulls right. Then again the city streets suck...haven't taken it on the freeway yet.
Old 03-09-19, 02:13 AM
Robnh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can’t tell by photo, but if what you say is true, then caster is not right. Did they give you a print out? If so, what is the left and right caster setting?
Old 03-09-19, 06:29 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Robnh
I can’t tell by photo, but if what you say is true, then caster is not right. Did they give you a print out? If so, what is the left and right caster setting?

Old 03-10-19, 11:24 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

better view?
Old 03-11-19, 07:45 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

The numbers appear fine. Keep in mind that your right fender is damaged, so this seems to be affecting how the alignment looks.

If your car drives straight on flat roads, I would leave it alone. If you aren't satisfied with the work, you can always ask them to check it again, stating what you've noticed, or go to another shop and ask them to check it. They may charge you, though.
Old 03-11-19, 08:23 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
The numbers appear fine. Keep in mind that your right fender is damaged, so this seems to be affecting how the alignment looks.

If your car drives straight on flat roads, I would leave it alone. If you aren't satisfied with the work, you can always ask them to check it again, stating what you've noticed, or go to another shop and ask them to check it. They may charge you, though.
If the fender throws one off use the rear of the wheel well. Seems like a clear smaller gap. I'm gonna call the shop later today.

Old 03-11-19, 09:17 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

caster does look off from the pictures but the numbers on the sheet look fine...so if it drives fine then it's just an odd asymmetrical view.

who did the strut rod bushings? they need to be properly "clocked" during installation and loaded when torqued to spec. not doing so will cause different heights and measurements when the suspension is at rest.
Old 03-11-19, 09:39 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
caster does look off from the pictures but the numbers on the sheet look fine...so if it drives fine then it's just an odd asymmetrical view.

who did the strut rod bushings? they need to be properly "clocked" during installation and loaded when torqued to spec. not doing so will cause different heights and measurements when the suspension is at rest.
A shop pressed them in and installed them. They said they matched the settings. Would an alignment shop be able to correctly clock? I havent taken it on a flat road yet so it pulls to the right right now.
Old 03-11-19, 04:04 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

Just got back from shop they swapped the front wheels around, it resolved most of it but it does still pull to the right just not as much as before. They said if it bothers me to take it back...it does bother me.
Old 03-11-19, 09:57 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

yea that front driver's side definitely isn't ok, and this only was the case after it was aligned? looks like the car hit a curb or got in some sort of accident that wasn't repaired properly... luckily the only accidents my grandparents got into with what is now my car was minor fender benders and a knocked off mirror lol

and shame on you for putting chinese brand tires on such a fine all japanese effort of a vehicle, don't you know the two countries hate each other? one is known for careful artisan work using techniques refined and honed over generations by workers who take great pride in what they do, the other just makes stuff cheaply for people... that's probably what's causing the misaligned wheel haha
Old 03-11-19, 10:15 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yea that front driver's side definitely isn't ok, and this only was the case after it was aligned? looks like the car hit a curb or got in some sort of accident that wasn't repaired properly... luckily the only accidents my grandparents got into with what is now my car was minor fender benders and a knocked off mirror lol

and shame on you for putting chinese brand tires on such a fine all japanese effort of a vehicle, don't you know the two countries hate each other? one is known for careful artisan work using techniques refined and honed over generations by workers who take great pride in what they do, the other just makes stuff cheaply for people... that's probably what's causing the misaligned wheel haha
Lol, yup....
Old 03-12-19, 06:56 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

How the times have changed. When I was young in the 50's, the Japanese were known for making cheap things.
Old 03-12-19, 08:27 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by jaaa
How the times have changed. When I was young in the 50's, the Japanese were known for making cheap things.
They were?

Im taking it in today. Hopefully they can make it right.

Quick Reply: Had it aligned....