LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

needing some advice for a LS stored for 12 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 03:31 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ank-ideas.html

Not great advice in that thread, but some
thanks I saw this threat. I probably will disconnect the fuel filter and turn the car on not trying to start it. if the pumps work it will get rid of all the gas. if nothing comes out .. something wrong with fuel pump system.
Old 03-14-19, 03:40 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
wow what a blast from the past, not that I am familiar with the car since I was messing with Hondas in the timeframe this was around socal.
I cannot recall it at all during my time in the "scene" since I too frequented shows during this era...oh those days!

my first instinct after looking at the tank is to clean it all up! these car do need good fuel delivery and the pumps do fail.
have you tried to spray starter fluid into the intake while cranking? if the car struggles to fire (moreso that just cranking) then you certainly have a fuel problem.
also check the relays and fuses for anything out of the ordinary.

what I also observe is that you possibly swapped the original engine with a celsior? the intake manifold with a Toyota badge is a give away (unless of course you just reused the intake mani).
this can open more questions such as how the swap was done, if the wiring for the S/C was done proper as well (super cool btw), etc.

speaking of the S/C what engine management did you use to compensate for the added boost (if any)? perhaps look there if something is being bypassed or miswired.

anywho glad to hear you still enthusiastic to get this back on the road, so hope this helps! I'm not a Toyota/lexus master tech but have been around the block with this heavy of modifications before.
I haven't started with looking at parts in the engine first. but spraying some starter fluid is a good idea while cracking the car. I need to really get the tank out and clean it if possible maybe buy 3 to 5 bottle of seafoam and just fill it out with partially gas and let it set for a day or two then dump it. clean all the components within the fuel pump and every single connector near. if it was just the pump.. I think replacing it will be enough though might still want to do some cleaning.

in regards to the engine. its stock. I just merely swapped out the Toyota badge on the manifold. to be honest.. .I don't know much about the SC engine management, I have to really dig back to 12 years of data to even remember but what I do know is I have a walbro 525 fuel pump as well as a walbro fuel pressure regulator installed to push more fuel into the engine.. maybe those are the ones that gotten bad. in regards to something being bypassed or miswired (yes not going to lie there are a few wires laying around or plugged which I have no reasons why). to control boost I have a boost regulator (manual one too so I can adjust but forgot the PSI I was boosting. to be honest even though I was promised 500+ HP ... sure didn't feel like it.. that is not to say its not possible if done right).

feel free to come take a look if you are in town around san dimas the infamous raging water
Old 03-14-19, 06:13 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

I was able to take siphon 6 qt of dirty gas from the opening in rear seat today. Here is what it looks like.
Old 03-14-19, 06:39 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That's hella gross. I completely take back what I said about adding more gas. If you want to drain the tank, and possibly the lines, remove the fuel filter. It's on the driver's side under a metal plate just in front of the LH rear wheel well. It's annoying AF to remove. I can't offer any suggestions aside from wear long gloves or wrap a towel around your wrist and prepare for a mild skin burn.
Old 03-14-19, 07:32 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I've never needed to do it, but how does one dispose of bad gas like that?
Old 03-14-19, 07:37 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Cocktails!
Old 03-14-19, 08:14 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
You can ask your local Recycling Center if they take old gas, otherwise you can go to a Hazardous Waste Disposal Center instead. A nearby town from me has a hazardous waste day once a year that I go to get rid of things like old batteries and other such items.

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
Cocktails!
Hah!!! I got a good laugh out of that.
Old 03-15-19, 03:30 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

That's hella gross. I completely take back what I said about adding more gas. If you want to drain the tank, and possibly the lines, remove the fuel filter. It's on the driver's side under a metal plate just in front of the LH rear wheel well. It's annoying AF to remove. I can't offer any suggestions aside from wear long gloves or wrap a towel around your wrist and prepare for a mild skin burn.
that's what I am going to do. drain everything. yes ill heave protective gear on. it smells really bad. like potent jet fuel. LOL
Old 03-15-19, 03:31 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
You can ask your local Recycling Center if they take old gas, otherwise you can go to a Hazardous Waste Disposal Center instead. A nearby town from me has a hazardous waste day once a year that I go to get rid of things like old batteries and other such items.

Hah!!! I got a good laugh out of that.
yes there are some places near where I live that will take it. but ultimately its just old gas. I'm sure many places will take it maybe not autozone.
Old 03-16-19, 12:51 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

well you have received some good advice... dont need mine but I agree with Timmy, disconnect your fuel line so as not to get any OLD in your motor, and spray starter fluid to see if it will start or act like it will.. then clean yourl fluids, tranny, radiator and brake along with fresh fuel.. looking back, I would have sold it and started over.
Old 03-16-19, 09:09 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
well you have received some good advice... dont need mine but I agree with Timmy, disconnect your fuel line so as not to get any OLD in your motor, and spray starter fluid to see if it will start or act like it will.. then clean yourl fluids, tranny, radiator and brake along with fresh fuel.. looking back, I would have sold it and started over.

is there a video showing how I am able to spray fuel starter and where. I have intercooler pipes taking place of the air intake. If you can take a look at my engine pic and draw where I should spray and start that would help alot I bought starter fluid today and removed fuel filter. Also syphon another gallon of bad gas from the back seat area where fuel pump is located. Thanks.
Old 03-16-19, 09:13 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Default Can someone tell me what these two lines go into or what it's for???

when the vortech super charger was installed someone decided to cut them off or disconnect it from some where. It's just hanging loose in the engine bay It looks like it originated from below the power steering reservoir (Metal canister you see in the pic. ) thanks
Old 03-17-19, 05:54 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

go here and watch,
Old 03-17-19, 12:05 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

That's definitely your power steering air control valve hoses. It's a common delete, but the valve should be replaced with an oil plug or at least have the hoses plugged. When that valve fails it will spray out ATF from the power steering pump.
Old 03-18-19, 12:09 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

That's definitely your power steering air control valve hoses. It's a common delete, but the valve should be replaced with an oil plug or at least have the hoses plugged. When that valve fails it will spray out ATF from the power steering pump.

So just plug them... easy enough. Thanks.

Quick Reply: needing some advice for a LS stored for 12 years