LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

needing some advice for a LS stored for 12 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 12:22 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel pump came out today.

So I did more nasty work today taking out the fuel pump and the bracket that it sits on. I thought I had a high flow walbro 255 coverted when the charger was installed but apparently not. What I am seeing is the original Lexus fuel pump. Probably made by denso but it's so rusty and disintegrated that honestly I am afraid to even touch it. I will replace the fuel pump with a walbro high flow 255 I'm thinking since I am boosted 10 PSI or should i say was. I'll just adjust the pressure through my fuel pressure regulator. Does anyone have any idea how I can clean the bracket that holds the fuel pump. Its rusted. Crystalized Or should I just buy brand new ones. I'd someone have a good condition one to sell including the back plate. Private message me. I bet the hard line on the bracket are dirty as hell inside as well. Still draining my tank atm I see alot of gunk into there so once a the few is out I will put a shop vac in there to vac out what I can Once new fuel pump and filter is installed I will pump half tank of gas and put Lucas injector cleaner and maybe half can or seafoam ro treat the over all condition inside the tank. Like the hardlines I just cant reach. Here are some pics.

The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 10:23 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

So is this what happens to the fuel pump when it is not submerged in fuel for 12 years?
Old 03-18-19, 01:11 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sha4000
So is this what happens to the fuel pump when it is not submerged in fuel for 12 years?
it was maybe not submerged but there was fuel in the tank And it pretty much ruined all the parts from moister sitting. Just look at the pump filter Lol
Old 03-21-19, 08:40 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

30 year old ls400 fuel pump. meh, spray it with some windex, wipe it down, shove it back in and it should fire right up LOL.

following this thread for sure. its awesome that you've been able to hold on to your old car so long. my first LS400 died 12 years ago infact. id kill to have my first one again. was in a bad spot and had to scrap it for rent money something ive hated myself for every single day for since. ive had 20+ LS400s over the years but none were more special to me then my first. instead of scrapping it, i should have stuck it in my folks garage and thrown a tarp over it like you did cause id be developing a thread like this about bringing it back to life, instead of saving my old 95 that replaced it. lucky to still have it man.

since its a modded 90, check and look at the fuel filter too that alot of folks dont seem to know exist. its under a metal panel up under the drivers side, near the left rear wheel well. mine ran like crap and wouldnt start for awhile till i discovered it.
Old 03-22-19, 03:27 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stereorob
30 year old ls400 fuel pump. meh, spray it with some windex, wipe it down, shove it back in and it should fire right up LOL.

following this thread for sure. its awesome that you've been able to hold on to your old car so long. my first LS400 died 12 years ago infact. id kill to have my first one again. was in a bad spot and had to scrap it for rent money something ive hated myself for every single day for since. ive had 20+ LS400s over the years but none were more special to me then my first. instead of scrapping it, i should have stuck it in my folks garage and thrown a tarp over it like you did cause id be developing a thread like this about bringing it back to life, instead of saving my old 95 that replaced it. lucky to still have it man.

since its a modded 90, check and look at the fuel filter too that alot of folks dont seem to know exist. its under a metal panel up under the drivers side, near the left rear wheel well. mine ran like crap and wouldnt start for awhile till i discovered it.
thank you for your kind words. It inspired me to revive it for sure. I got alot of parts coming my way Hoping to get it up and running.

Old 03-23-19, 11:09 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet! Nice to see this coming along. Did you pull the fuel filter? As bad as that looks, I'd clean it all up, rinse out the tank, test the pump with a direct 12v for function and if it works, give it a shot. Though I don't know if it will feed the supercharger, so going with the Walbro isn't a bad option.

Looks like someone's doing valve covers! Did you get a timing kit as well?
Old 03-23-19, 11:46 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
Sweet! Nice to see this coming along. Did you pull the fuel filter? As bad as that looks, I'd clean it all up, rinse out the tank, test the pump with a direct 12v for function and if it works, give it a shot. Though I don't know if it will feed the supercharger, so going with the Walbro isn't a bad option.

Looks like someone's doing valve covers! Did you get a timing kit as well?

How would I rinse out the tank ? The left over 3 gallon of gas barely came out through the outlet over 3 days !!! Omg must a better way
Old 03-23-19, 11:48 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cutecboy
How would I rinse out the tank ? The left over 3 gallon of gas barely came out through the outlet over 3 days !!! Omg must a better way

There is like a 17mm bolt I take out right under gas tank that seems to feed into the fuel filter I loosen tjay bolt and left over gas st starts dripping out. Very very slowly So I doubt I can get the larger debris out. Any other suggestion? Maybe shop vac out. I see some rust flakes in the gas tank.
Old 03-23-19, 01:57 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's really coming through the fuel filter line that slowly? I mean, it's not the fastest, but the wreck I'm taking apart had about 15 gallons it dumped in a couple hours. Sounds like your lines may be pretty badly gummed up.

There's a plug. I pulled up these parts views from a Lexus dealership and it looks like part #77100 is the gas tank plug, if you want to drain it fast, that's your location.

Front view

Rear view

At this point I'm going to say it may be a good idea to pull the whole tank, disassemble it, and physically wash it by hand. You can do it without pulling it, but I'm not sure where that drain plug is in relationship to the car's body; I haven't been around the rear end enough to picture it. I would seriously wash the tank with a detergent and water and let it sit in the sun and dry out completely. If the drain plug allows you to do it without removing the tank, I'd put a box fan or something in the rear seating area pointed at the pump access to aid in drying. I also recommend attempting to clear the fuel lines. Perhaps a wire snake with something on the end soaked in fresh gas or other solvent? Maybe something using air to push a solvent through the lines? Be sure to disconnect all the lines at the engine side to avoid introducing any (more) contaminants.
Old 03-23-19, 06:31 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Following,interesting thread.
Old 05-18-19, 12:31 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

some updates.. made some progress but still need some advice. its been a hell of a few months....

1. i've changed the valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, spark plugs and reconditioned the nology hotwires. (bought caps and distributors but have not installed them).
2. i've got rid of the old gas completely and installed a walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump and changed out the fuel filter.
3. cleaned up the gas tank as best i could.
4. engine oil and filter change.
5. put about 10 gallon of 93 octane gas

problem:
-with starter fluid in the throttle body my car starts up but shuts off within 2-3 seconds
- i checked fuel return line (going back to the tank) by unplugging it from the cartech FMU and there appears to be fresh gas coming out of hose which tells me fuel is being pumped from the tank towards front of the car
- i have not checked the fuel rails or fuel injectors. but i suppose there must be fuel pumped into the rails since i have fuel in the return line back to the tank. since the fuel injectors been sitting for 12 years its probably not doing anything or seized / clogged.

looking for recommendations moving forward. without the starting fluid. for some reason when i try to start the car it starts for 1 or less than 1 sec then off again. not sure where i should start but atleast now i know fuel is being pumped to the front of the car, fuse, relays are all good to go.

thanks!
Old 05-18-19, 07:54 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cutecboy
some updates.. made some progress but still need some advice. its been a hell of a few months....

1. i've changed the valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, spark plugs and reconditioned the nology hotwires. (bought caps and distributors but have not installed them).
2. i've got rid of the old gas completely and installed a walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump and changed out the fuel filter.
3. cleaned up the gas tank as best i could.
4. engine oil and filter change.
5. put about 10 gallon of 93 octane gas

problem:
-with starter fluid in the throttle body my car starts up but shuts off within 2-3 seconds
- i checked fuel return line (going back to the tank) by unplugging it from the cartech FMU and there appears to be fresh gas coming out of hose which tells me fuel is being pumped from the tank towards front of the car
- i have not checked the fuel rails or fuel injectors. but i suppose there must be fuel pumped into the rails since i have fuel in the return line back to the tank. since the fuel injectors been sitting for 12 years its probably not doing anything or seized / clogged.

looking for recommendations moving forward. without the starting fluid. for some reason when i try to start the car it starts for 1 or less than 1 sec then off again. not sure where i should start but atleast now i know fuel is being pumped to the front of the car, fuse, relays are all good to go.

thanks!

Hey man,

I would check out your injectors next. It was a good idea to clean out your tank and replace that fuel pump. That old fuel disintegrated all the rubber and plastic and i had a similar probably at one time. Check resistance on injectors and clean them up if that is possible(write down resistance readings and report back). If you are unsure about checking injectors you can check out this video(
)

Also...nice pearlescent paint job.
Old 05-19-19, 11:20 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

if the car was bone stock without mods then you would have less issues, otherwise can’t wait for this time machine to be resurrected.
Old 05-19-19, 11:51 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lextout
if the car was bone stock without mods then you would have less issues, otherwise can’t wait for this time machine to be resurrected.
LOL... "if" but its not.. its heavily modded and not driven for 12 years. a lot can be wrong.. just trying to do a little every day.
Old 05-19-19, 11:54 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
Hey man,

I would check out your injectors next. It was a good idea to clean out your tank and replace that fuel pump. That old fuel disintegrated all the rubber and plastic and i had a similar probably at one time. Check resistance on injectors and clean them up if that is possible(write down resistance readings and report back). If you are unsure about checking injectors you can check out this video(https://youtu.be/XhYEDkpF3Qs)

Also...nice pearlescent paint job.
this for this video.. watching it as we speak. def will check the resistance on injectors and fuel pressure .. maybe buy some injector diagnostic tools that may help me identify further issues. i bet you the seals and o ring on that is pretty much gone. im just gonna take off the entire rails and check it thoroughly

the pearlescent paint job is chevy ESCALADE pearl white not sure what year but i think 2005.

Quick Reply: needing some advice for a LS stored for 12 years