LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

needing some advice for a LS stored for 12 years

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 06:26 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
Hey man,

I would check out your injectors next. It was a good idea to clean out your tank and replace that fuel pump. That old fuel disintegrated all the rubber and plastic and i had a similar probably at one time. Check resistance on injectors and clean them up if that is possible(write down resistance readings and report back). If you are unsure about checking injectors you can check out this video(https://youtu.be/XhYEDkpF3Qs)

Also...nice pearlescent paint job.
i haven't had the chance to take the injectors out because its a time consuming task but i did test the resistance. pretty much all 8 injectors are reading 13.9-13.8 ohms. i am not sure if that's within spec but i would bet my money if all 8 injectors have this resistance ohm that its normal.

i checked for any vacuum hose or connectors that might be accidentally left unplugged and nothing was found. again i tried to start the car about 10 times and all 10 times it would start (without starting fluid) but it will shut off after 1 second or sometimes it acts like its about to start and doesn't pull through.

i wish there was a easy way to check fuel pressure on this car with an universal fuel pressure gauge but considering there isn't a port where i can easily connect a pressure gauge and have to mess around with bonjo connectors.. i havn't gone down that road. i dont think is an air or spark issue because i changed all the spark plugs and wires (plus the fact that when i spray starting fluid into the intake it starts which further reinforce that it isn't a spark or air issue). i have new rotors and distributors but just havn't done that job yet. prob do it this weekend as well ... and i might as well change out the coolant while i am at it.

-this leaves me with three options ---
1) which is the easiest/laziest way but probably not going to help - put 5 more gallon of fuel into my tank and some seafoam and try to clean out the injectors that way ( if injectors are in fact dirty and clogged - hoping seafoam will take care of it if i keep trying to start it).
2) spend time and figure out how i can tap in to the fuel line and check for pressure after fuel filter and at the inlet before going into the fuel rails
3) spend time and take out the entire fuel rail system along with the injectors and manually check each to see if they are actually clogged and is malfunctioning.

what erks me is it only starts for a second and i can only do this so many times before i run of battery juice and would have to recharge it over night and start all over again.

in addition, i noticed that when i turn my key to the ON position the fuel pump will not prime. fuel pump will only turn on when i try to start the car - i can hear it because i have a walbro 255 high pressure pump and its quite loud. is this normal ? i am wondering if it should prime when i have my key in the on position like a lot of other make and model of cars. thoughts? i do find it logical that if i try to start the car, fuel pump then pumps gas through the lines instead of priming. not sure how 1990 lexus works.

Last edited by cutecboy; 05-20-19 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 06:34 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

wondering if there is anyone out there reading this post that is from SO CAL who wants to help out ... could use a bit more knowledge and expertise if this is in your arena.. perhaps its just something small i am over looking and someone could spot immediately. thanks!
Old 05-20-19, 07:59 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The Resistance

Originally Posted by cutecboy
i haven't had the chance to take the injectors out because its a time consuming task but i did test the resistance. pretty much all 8 injectors are reading 13.9-13.8 ohms. i am not sure if that's within spec but i would bet my money if all 8 injectors have this resistance ohm that its normal.

i checked for any vacuum hose or connectors that might be accidentally left unplugged and nothing was found. again i tried to start the car about 10 times and all 10 times it would start (without starting fluid) but it will shut off after 1 second or sometimes it acts like its about to start and doesn't pull through.

i wish there was a easy way to check fuel pressure on this car with an universal fuel pressure gauge but considering there isn't a port where i can easily connect a pressure gauge and have to mess around with bonjo connectors.. i havn't gone down that road. i dont think is an air or spark issue because i changed all the spark plugs and wires (plus the fact that when i spray starting fluid into the intake it starts which further reinforce that it isn't a spark or air issue). i have new rotors and distributors but just havn't done that job yet. prob do it this weekend as well ... and i might as well change out the coolant while i am at it.

-this leaves me with three options ---
1) which is the easiest/laziest way but probably not going to help - put 5 more gallon of fuel into my tank and some seafoam and try to clean out the injectors that way ( if injectors are in fact dirty and clogged - hoping seafoam will take care of it if i keep trying to start it).
2) spend time and figure out how i can tap in to the fuel line and check for pressure after fuel filter and at the inlet before going into the fuel rails
3) spend time and take out the entire fuel rail system along with the injectors and manually check each to see if they are actually clogged and is malfunctioning.

what erks me is it only starts for a second and i can only do this so many times before i run of battery juice and would have to recharge it over night and start all over again.

in addition, i noticed that when i turn my key to the ON position the fuel pump will not prime. fuel pump will only turn on when i try to start the car - i can hear it because i have a walbro 255 high pressure pump and its quite loud. is this normal ? i am wondering if it should prime when i have my key in the on position like a lot of other make and model of cars. thoughts? i do find it logical that if i try to start the car, fuel pump then pumps gas through the lines instead of priming. not sure how 1990 lexus works.
I've been searching for specs for injector resistance but if they are all the same then it seems to be okay(but you know what they say about assumptions). I have a membership with alldatadiy.com and this is what is listed for fuel pressure testing on my 95.

Ill keep searching for more info to help you get this resurrected.
The following users liked this post:
cutecboy (05-20-19)
Old 05-20-19, 11:27 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

On second thought. Can anyone on here with first gen ls400 confirm fuel pump prime for few second when key is turned to the on position ? As I stated before my fuel pump doesn’t prime or turn on until I try to start the car. Thanks
Old 05-23-19, 01:21 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

light bulb just went off... no one has mentioned that it could be the ECU capacitors going out? i read the extensive capacitor replacement LSCOWBOY posted that solve a lot of owners issues.... now i am wondering if i have a ECU that needs to be restored with updated capacitors? or am i missing something here? feedback appreciated
Old 05-25-19, 07:41 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Ecu fun

light bulb just went off... no one has mentioned that it could be the ECU capacitors going out? i read the extensive capacitor replacement LSCOWBOY posted that solve a lot of owners issues.... now i am wondering if i have a ECU that needs to be restored with updated capacitors? or am i missing something here? feedback appreciated
I hope I'm replying to your thread correctly. First off, your lexus is badass and Id love to see and hear it running on this forum! Ive read a lot about ecu failures, and they can cause an endless amount of random quirks and failures. Hard starts and barely starting then dying are characteristics I have heard of failing ecu capacitors. If I were you, I would research into a reliable ecu repairer (there are lots on this forum and the Facebook ls400 group) and it costs about $150. I wouldn't try putting your lexus back on the road until you have had the ecu inspected and refreshed. It can only rule out the possibility and give your car every chance to run well. I guess you really need to figure out if your car still runs the stock ecu, located behind the glovebox, or if a piggyback/aftermarket system has been rigged in for your supercharger. Best of luck brotendo, please don't give up on this thing!
Old 05-26-19, 05:35 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Default update

Originally Posted by Bylan
I hope I'm replying to your thread correctly. First off, your lexus is badass and Id love to see and hear it running on this forum! Ive read a lot about ecu failures, and they can cause an endless amount of random quirks and failures. Hard starts and barely starting then dying are characteristics I have heard of failing ecu capacitors. If I were you, I would research into a reliable ecu repairer (there are lots on this forum and the Facebook ls400 group) and it costs about $150. I wouldn't try putting your lexus back on the road until you have had the ecu inspected and refreshed. It can only rule out the possibility and give your car every chance to run well. I guess you really need to figure out if your car still runs the stock ecu, located behind the glovebox, or if a piggyback/aftermarket system has been rigged in for your supercharger. Best of luck brotendo, please don't give up on this thing!
thanks for your response.. nope not giving up. ECU has gone out to a good friend of mine who already changed out the capacitor on 3 ECUs. i ordered all the required capacitors on digikey. plus i have an extra ECU from a 1992 non trac edition as a back up. yesterday i begin pulling out the injectors and used an DIY carb clean method and activating injectors by connecting to a battery .. i am not surprised to find that 2 out of 4 injectors just on the passenger side is clogged which can cause an array of issues ( car not starting, fuel presssure drop etc..) tomorrow i will pull the 4 injectors out of the driver side and check those as well. rather than changing the o rings, pin caps and extra parts that you need to refurbish the injectors i probably will just buy 8 new (refurbished) injectors and installed them. atleast they have the ANSI machines to do it correctly. its not worth pulling them out cleaning it and putting it back risking time and extra money if they were to fail or not fully cleaned and functioning properly. i probably also change out the fuel pressure regular on the passenger side fuel rail too but they are so expensive i am thinking how to check if it works or not after installing new injectors. attached are some photos. i also changed the caps and distributors and was surprised just how jacked up the rotors were.. i think i am making progress....

broken and completely worn out caps.

nasty injectors from passenger side rail.. two of which didn't even function (as in no fuel was coming out of them when activated)
Old 05-27-19, 01:21 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Excellent progress! And a backup ecu is a great plan. Its looking like your engine needs a thorough tuneup, 30 years old and sitting in a garage for 12 years has dried everything out and made it really brittle. Those injectors are junk, and I can only imagine how brittle all the vacuum hoses and probably even spark plug wires are. Does anyone know what happens to ATF that has been sitting for 12 years? Might want to drain and fill the trans (a few times) before starting or trying to move this thing too. Good luck I'll be following closely!
Old 05-27-19, 04:04 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

thanks for your response.. nope not giving up. ECU has gone out to a good friend of mine who already changed out the capacitor on 3 ECUs. i ordered all the required capacitors on digikey. plus i have an extra ECU from a 1992 non trac edition as a back up. yesterday i begin pulling out the injectors and used an DIY carb clean method and activating injectors by connecting to a battery .. i am not surprised to find that 2 out of 4 injectors just on the passenger side is clogged which can cause an array of issues ( car not starting, fuel presssure drop etc..) tomorrow i will pull the 4 injectors out of the driver side and check those as well. rather than changing the o rings, pin caps and extra parts that you need to refurbish the injectors i probably will just buy 8 new (refurbished) injectors and installed them. atleast they have the ANSI machines to do it correctly. its not worth pulling them out cleaning it and putting it back risking time and extra money if they were to fail or not fully cleaned and functioning properly. i probably also change out the fuel pressure regular on the passenger side fuel rail too but they are so expensive i am thinking how to check if it works or not after installing new injectors. attached are some photos. i also changed the caps and distributors and was surprised just how jacked up the rotors were.. i think i am making progress....

broken and completely worn out caps.

nasty injectors from passenger side rail.. two of which didn't even function (as in no fuel was coming out of them when activated)

Those injectors are cheesed up. Also looks like that 12 year old gas disintegrated the rubber parts on the injector too. Hell yeah man, keep up the good work.
Old 06-05-19, 07:46 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Thumbs up SOLVED and car rujnning - and boosting.

car is now running after so many days of diagnosis and parts replacement. special shout out to JonnyO78 for all the advice and help and i appreciate everyone who contributed to this thread. its nice to hear that engine ROAR after 12 years in storage. drove it to the gas station without the front bumper and had stares left and right from every angle. i guess even without the front bumper she is a beauty and a beast that sounds like an jet LOL. now i have to figure out what i want to do with her.. may just keep her for a bit longer...or i may part with it though she is my prized treasure that has been with me through the most glorious / worst days. hard for me to pull the trigger in selling but now that she is back alive, i think i am ready to pass it on to the next lucky owner who will take care of her. this is not your every day Celsior.. who ever is interested probably will love this car just as much as i do. anyway i appreciate all the help folks.
Old 06-05-19, 07:52 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

car is now running after so many days of diagnosis and parts replacement. special shout out to JonnyO78 for all the advice and help and i appreciate everyone who contributed to this thread. its nice to hear that engine ROAR after 12 years in storage. drove it to the gas station without the front bumper and had stares left and right from every angle. i guess even without the front bumper she is a beauty and a beast that sounds like an jet LOL. now i have to figure out what i want to do with her.. may just keep her for a bit longer...or i may part with it though she is my prized treasure that has been with me through the most glorious / worst days. hard for me to pull the trigger in selling but now that she is back alive, i think i am ready to pass it on to the next lucky owner who will take care of her. this is not your every day Celsior.. who ever is interested probably will love this car just as much as i do. anyway i appreciate all the help folks.
So what was the fix to get it going?
Old 06-05-19, 07:52 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

in case you guys are interested in hearing what it sounds like.. here it is
and by the way.. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by cutecboy:
CELSI0R (06-05-19), Giorgio13 (06-05-19), Peacebay (06-07-19), Stroock639 (06-05-19)
Old 06-05-19, 07:54 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
So what was the fix to get it going?
just array of things. new injectors, new fuel pump,fuel filter, cap and rotors, spark plugs, serpentine belt, fuel pressure regulator, new fuses and relays, wires, drained all fluid and changed a bunch of seals here and there and list goes on...... these engine never seize to amaze me. 1UZ for the win.

PS. i am also waiting for the ECU which was sent out to get all the capacitors changed out courtesy of JonnyO78. that should make the car even more stable

Last edited by cutecboy; 06-05-19 at 08:01 PM.
Giorgio13 (06-05-19)
Old 06-05-19, 08:58 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

in case you guys are interested in hearing what it sounds like.. here it is https://youtu.be/peZ5_AymjaM
and by the way.. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!
Amazing sound man.
cutecboy (06-05-19)
Old 07-01-19, 12:03 AM
cutecboy
Intermediate

car is now for sale in the classified section. PM me for questions. thanks all for the help and advice in bringing the monster back!