LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ps pump and water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 07:17 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Billy! You got your acct back!
yep, went thru office and they sent me a link..
Old 03-16-19, 12:57 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
I ended up getting used alternator and ps pump both oem. With 90 day warranty!

Just need to find a water pump. Same donor car has one in great condition....for 40 and oem according to my mechanic buddy

Or

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/....0l+v8,1356083
Unless I've missed something you still haven't disclosed the reasons for replacing these parts. The PS pump and Alt are common service items but that doesn't necessarily mean jump in and replace them JUST BECAUSE...
Is the existing PS pump leaking? Is the water pump leaking? I ask because replacing used parts with used parts is basically futile. A wrranty on used parts is basically useless as well. I doubt they have a back stock of Lexus Ps pumps and alternators to honor any warranty. Even if they refund your money, which I doubt will happen, you're still stuck with a failing used part that needs replaced AGAIN...
Old 03-16-19, 01:05 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
Unless I've missed something you still haven't disclosed the reasons for replacing these parts. The PS pump and Alt are common service items but that doesn't necessarily mean jump in and replace them JUST BECAUSE...
Is the existing PS pump leaking? Is the water pump leaking? I ask because replacing used parts with used parts is basically futile. A wrranty on used parts is basically useless as well. I doubt they have a back stock of Lexus Ps pumps and alternators to honor any warranty. Even if they refund your money, which I doubt will happen, you're still stuck with a failing used part that needs replaced AGAIN...
They are leaking.
Old 03-16-19, 02:31 PM
bradland

Ok is the PS pump leaking or the Air Control Valve? Both are common. Even a brand new $450 Lexus pump with an old valve may still leak. Throwing used parts, genuine Lexus or not, at the problem isn't going to solve anything. I wouldn't even consider spending money or time on ANY alterntor until the PS pump situation is fixed 100%. Find the source of the leak, whether it's the pump itself, the air control valve or maybe even the old brittle hose between the reservoir and pump, and address it accurately or this will never end...
Old 03-16-19, 02:42 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Ok is the PS pump leaking or the Air Control Valve? Both are common. Even a brand new $450 Lexus pump with an old valve may still leak. Throwing used parts, genuine Lexus or not, at the problem isn't going to solve anything. I wouldn't even consider spending money or time on ANY alterntor until the PS pump situation is fixed 100%. Find the source of the leak, whether it's the pump itself, the air control valve or maybe even the old brittle hose between the reservoir and pump, and address it accurately or this will never end...
Its leaking from the pump itself not the valve. The new to me ps pump will have that valve deleted before installation. Also ordered an aisin water pump as it's also leaking...as such it leaked all over the alternator. Thus the replacement. Once new ps pump is in place I'll have the old one rebuilt using a n oem kit above.
Old 03-16-19, 07:25 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Its leaking from the pump itself not the valve. The new to me ps pump will have that valve deleted before installation. Also ordered an aisin water pump as it's also leaking...as such it leaked all over the alternator. Thus the replacement. Once new ps pump is in place I'll have the old one rebuilt using a n oem kit above.
This is starting to make sense logically...
Sorry to keep badgering you with questions but I've been down the PS pump road with my 91 AND my 99. It's not fun and takes some time. Both cars weren't fixed, after all the trials and tribulations, until I installed brand new Lexus PS pumps.

Is the bold underlined sentence in the quote a typo? How did your water pump leak all over the alternator...? Only the very far edge of the water pump is anywhere near the alternator and they generally only leak through the bearing and shaft not the gasket.

Old 03-16-19, 07:30 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

This is starting to make sense logically...
Sorry to keep badgering you with questions but I've been down the PS pump road with my 91 AND my 99. It's not fun and takes some time. Both cars weren't fixed, after all the trials and tribulations, until I installed brand new Lexus PS pumps.

Is the bold underlined sentence in the quote a typo? How did your water pump leak all over the alternator...? Only the very far edge of the water pump is anywhere near the alternator and they generally only leak through the bearing and shaft not the gasket.
I did mention the ps pump is leaking, and it leaked all over the alternator like they usually do.