LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing Belt Replacement URGENT

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 09:29 AM
Hobie16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement URGENT

Hi All,

So I just did the Timing Belt on my '99 LS400... And I have a sporadic CEL for P1349 and P1351 (VVT Camshaft Position Sensor Range/Performance Problem.) The codes are bank 1 and 2 codes. They will appear a day or two after clearing, and no operational issues are noted with the engine AFTER the change, It runs great, but with a noticable performance change. I'm lucky in that regard... Phweew...

Anyways, I am a first year apprentice with Toyota, so I have access to TIS and Techtool etc, followed the instructions to the tee (and boy do they make you jump around). I haven't pulled everything apart to check the timing yet but will be doing so today and/or tomorrow. So here are my questions...

1. With the Crank set to 0* (TDC), the notches on the sprochets should line up with the LINES?
2. With the Engine/Pulley advanced to 50* ATDC (Idler Pulley Bolt, as per instructions), the Notches should line up with the T that is to the right of the LINE?
3. What is the Torque Spec for the Bolts on the Ends of the Cams. I accidentally loosened one and couldn't find a torque spec for it...
4. Can I adjust the Timing of the Engine WITHOUT Removing everything again (ie: Can I remove the Upper Cam Covers and the tensioner, and get away with it that way?)
Old 03-21-19, 01:15 PM
Hobie16
Driver School Candidate

Update,

Pulled #3 T/C Covers off (Upper0), Both Cams late by 1 tooth. Confirmed theory of skipping on the crank pulley. So my question now is how much room is there for the timing to be off before damage/destruiiton can occur? The engine runs great as-is.

ALSO: If you don't know what you're talking about, I don't want any "You're Screwed" comments. Serious only please!
Old 03-21-19, 01:19 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobie16
Hi All,

So I just did the Timing Belt on my '99 LS400... And I have a sporadic CEL for P1349 and P1351 (VVT Camshaft Position Sensor Range/Performance Problem.) The codes are bank 1 and 2 codes. They will appear a day or two after clearing, and no operational issues are noted with the engine AFTER the change, It runs great, but with a noticable performance change. I'm lucky in that regard... Phweew...

Anyways, I am a first year apprentice with Toyota, so I have access to TIS and Techtool etc, followed the instructions to the tee (and boy do they make you jump around). I haven't pulled everything apart to check the timing yet but will be doing so today and/or tomorrow. So here are my questions...

1. With the Crank set to 0* (TDC), the notches on the sprochets should line up with the LINES?
2. With the Engine/Pulley advanced to 50* ATDC (Idler Pulley Bolt, as per instructions), the Notches should line up with the T that is to the right of the LINE?
3. What is the Torque Spec for the Bolts on the Ends of the Cams. I accidentally loosened one and couldn't find a torque spec for it...
4. Can I adjust the Timing of the Engine WITHOUT Removing everything again (ie: Can I remove the Upper Cam Covers and the tensioner, and get away with it that way?)
You can't adjust the timing it's controlled by the ECM.
Old 03-21-19, 01:24 PM
Hobie16
Driver School Candidate

Really?

I just asked for no stupid comments!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-19, 01:24 PM
bradland

Update,

Pulled #3 T/C Covers off (Upper0), Both Cams late by 1 tooth. Confirmed theory of skipping on the crank pulley. So my question now is how much room is there for the timing to be off before damage/destruiiton can occur? The engine runs great as-is.

ALSO: If you don't know what you're talking about, I don't want any "You're Screwed" comments. Serious only please!
Which brand belt did you use? I ask because some of the aftermarket belts have markings that can be a bit ambiguous. If you were going to do internal damage you probably would have done it by now.
Old 03-21-19, 01:33 PM
bradland

Hi All,

Apparently I read this wrong...?
You want to release the belt tension and move the pulleys into the appropriate place. I guess you could try and if it doesn't work there's only one alternative. I've never heard of anyone doing so...

Old 03-21-19, 02:53 PM
Hobie16
Driver School Candidate

I used Aisin parts (Being that they are Toyota parts with the branding scrubbed off), and you are probably more than right, any serious internal damage would long be done by now as I have driven around 200kms with it like it has been and haven't noticed a single thing aside from a slight drop in performance and the obvious check engine lights.

That being said, I guess I'm gonna have to tear the front apart again this weekend and re-time it! :P Thanks for your help!
Old 03-21-19, 03:16 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

I found 2 different videos on how to set TDC, Hopefully they will help you:
and
Old 03-21-19, 03:58 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Those bolts on the end of the cams don't have a torque spec. They seem to be there to assist in turning the cams for timing. Don't over torque them, just snug them up.
Old 03-21-19, 05:08 PM
bradland

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
Those bolts on the end of the cams don't have a torque spec. They seem to be there to assist in turning the cams for timing. Don't over torque them, just snug them up.
They actually do have a torque spec but it's minimal (11 ft:lbf) as it's just a cover for the bolt that threads into the end of the camshaft (58 ft:lbf). As aptpslexus said just snug it up.
Old 03-21-19, 08:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Update,

Not sure but I don't think 1 tooth is a concern.
Old 03-24-19, 03:05 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know a damn thing, but if it was 1 tooth and you reset it and the codes don't come back I'm gonna say you're good.