LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1997 Power Steering PPS *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 01:25 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1997 Power Steering PPS *HELP*

Alright, so I've mentioned this problem elsewhere, but as with my other projects I've reached a stopping block. I'll run down the problem in full.

I bought this 1997 Coach edition with a bundle of problems. I already replaced the front seals and have stopped a major oil leak. I think, because there's still some residual oil, but not the steady stream there was, and the timing belt is now nice and dry (and brand new). I replaced the pf(m) capacitors in the ECU with the ones recommended by LSCowboy and Yamae; there was a noticeable improvement. Now I am trying to fix an intermittent power steering problem.

The power steering has a sort of "slip-stick" or "on-off" feel, usually indicative of a poorly maintained system. The first check was the fluid, which was an odd pinkish color; obviously someone had added power steering fluid to the already existing ATF. I drained it out and flushed it with maybe a quart or 2 and the action seemed pretty smooth while it was up on jack stands; with load it went back to the same slip-stick action. Next I removed the solenoid for inspection. It was incredibly dirty and the o-ring had sort of smeared a ring down along the valve so I thought it was supposed to be a sort of boot at first! I cleaned the screen up and found a bunch of holes. Luckily I have another 95 UCF20 for parts, so I pulled the solenoid off that. It was in much better shape and after cleaning the screen I stuck the whole part back on my 97. I also took this moment with low fluid to delete my ACV since the intake inlet was already broken. Started up, filled the PS pump and bled the system. Felt smooth without a load; I drop it and it's still not working right.

The full functions act as follows: the steering is very stiff at start-up, almost as if totally non-functional. It gets better as the car warms up eventually getting to an "almost normal" function. However, I can still feel the solenoid popping when I move into full turns.

So I'm seeing at this point I should be testing the PPS. I've got the instructions to do so, but I'm thinking maybe starting with swapping out the ECU with my 95. And if I put the rear wheels up on jack stands will the car actually go through gears and register 62MPH? Because that's part of the testing process and sounds like an awful idea.

Last edited by JonnyO78; 03-24-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 04:46 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
Alright, so I've mentioned this problem elsewhere, but as with my other projects I've reached a stopping block. I'll run down the problem in full.

I bought this 1997 Coach edition with a bundle of problems. I already replaced the front seals and have stopped a major oil leak. I think, because there's still some residual oil, but not the steady stream there was, and the timing belt is now nice and dry (and brand new). I replaced the pf(m) capacitors in the ECU with the ones recommended by LSCowboy and Yamae; there was a noticeable improvement. Now I am trying to fix an intermittent power steering problem.

The power steering has a sort of "slip-stick" or "on-off" feel, usually indicative of a poorly maintained system. The first check was the fluid, which was an odd pinkish color; obviously someone had added power steering fluid to the already existing ATF. I drained it out and flushed it with maybe a quart or 2 and the action seemed pretty smooth while it was up on jack stands; with load it went back to the same slip-stick action. Next I removed the solenoid for inspection. It was incredibly dirty and the o-ring had sort of smeared a ring down along the valve so I thought it was supposed to be a sort of boot at first! I cleaned the screen up and found a bunch of holes. Luckily I have another 95 UCF20 for parts, so I pulled the solenoid off that. It was in much better shape and after cleaning the screen I stuck the whole part back on my 97. I also took this moment with low fluid to delete my ACV since the intake inlet was already broken. Started up, filled the PS pump and bled the system. Felt smooth without a load; I drop it and it's still not working right.

The full functions act as follows: the steering is very stiff at start-up, almost as if totally non-functional. It gets better as the car warms up eventually getting to an "almost normal" function. However, I can still feel the solenoid popping when I move into full turns.

So I'm seeing at this point I should be testing the PPS. I've got the instructions to do so, but I'm thinking maybe starting with swapping out the ECU with my 95. And if I put the rear wheels up on jack stands will the car actually go through gears and register 62MPH? Because that's part of the testing process and sounds like an awful idea.
I read somewhere n this forum about filter screens somewhere in the fluid circuit...do a search

As for cold start; using Synthetic ATF offers slight advantages...

See;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/845789-low-temperature-power-steering-fluid-options.html

If you decide to replace your fluid via turkey baster method, please share your results.

Inspect your P.S. hoses for hardening, cracking or leaks..

22 year old hoses in a hot engine compartment are probably unsafe.

Old 03-27-19, 11:15 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

I flushed and bled out the system and now the fluid is nice and smooth, so I know I have eliminated any air. I removed the solenoid and inspected it again and there was very little noticeable debris on the screen. One of the people on Facebook said they've been through like 3 remanufactured racks in 7 months because of a similar issue and he says it's something to do with a valve failure. I'm gonna swap the rack from my parts car in and see if that solves the problem. Then I'm going to go deep on the remanufactured rack I pull off and see about rebuilding it.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (11-05-19)
Old 11-04-19, 05:04 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

For an update, after driving this vehicle several thousand miles, the steering smoothed out and is smooth as silk.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (11-05-19)