LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replacing ram air intake to filter housing foam seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 06:08 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Replacing ram air intake to filter housing foam seal

It was time to replace the foam seal.between the ram air box where it joins with the filter assembly housing.

Also took the opportunity to seal.the large gap between the ram air box and upper core support where the cold inlet resides to reduce drawing of heated air.

Image depicting tired foam seal. (The entire bottom of my ram air box is covered with DEI thermal insulating material to lower air inlet temperature...)

OEM foam is held in place with (pressure sensitive?) adhesive. The entire seal was disintegrating...and remnants were probably residing in air filter.

Acquired a ten foot roll.of 1/2\" wide by 1/8" thick EPDM with pressure sensitive adhesive from McMaster-Carr Supply. Use the softest variant in the option table. Due to the low surface energy plastic surface, also used 3M #90 spray adhesive

The finished product... I later reset the seal to mimic OEM placement..which centered the seal.away from the edge at top of inlet neck.

Image depicts 1/4\" gap below Ram air inlet where it sits astride upper core support...allows heated air to intake.

Applied 1/2\" wide X 1/4" thick EPDM.with pressure sensitive adhesive applied across upper core support between upper radiator hold down brackets.

No more gap at bottom of intake..

EPDM acquired from McMaster-Carr Supply.

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-30-19 at 06:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YODAONE:
borgey (04-13-19), JonnyO78 (04-14-19)
Old 04-13-19, 09:40 PM
borgey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that every thread I find useful and relevant is created by you. I was just noticing that seal is deteriorated on my 98. The gap in between the radiator support and inlet drive me a bit crazy. Great idea.

Now, I just wonder if there is a similar product available in-store. May have to swing into a few local hardware stores..
Old 04-14-19, 10:58 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by borgey
It seems that every thread I find useful and relevant is created by you. I was just noticing that seal is deteriorated on my 98. The gap in between the radiator support and inlet drive me a bit crazy. Great idea.

Now, I just wonder if there is a similar product available in-store. May have to swing into a few local hardware stores..
Purchased the self adhesive sealing foam from Mcmaster-carr. Excellent quality

Also used 3M Hi-strength #90 spray adhesive

Anyone with recommended alternative adhesive or have a line on what glues or adhesives Toyota used?

Spray adhesive on both surfaces for best results.
Old 04-14-19, 12:34 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yoda back at it again with the sweet write-ups!

You spray the adhesive with more adhesive? Why tho?
Old 04-14-19, 02:40 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
Yoda back at it again with the sweet write-ups!

You spray the adhesive with more adhesive? Why tho?
Extremely low surface energy plastic is difficult to adhere to ..needs all the help it can get.