LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Someone ran a red, hurt my 1990 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 04:08 PM
JesseNelso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone ran a red, hurt my 1990 LS400

It was in perfect shape until this. The guy that us in insurance company said they will fix it. Problem is the body shop they told us to go to can't find parts. I said I found some on Ebay but they are not allowed to use Ebay. Does anyone know where I can find parts?

We just refurbished the a/c for $2500, new tires for $550 and $100 battery. I would hate to lose this car.

Thanks,
Jesse

​​​​​​

Old 04-01-19, 04:49 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

damn that's terrible to see... and especially considering you seem to have recently got the same michelin premier tires i have which aren't the cheapest

lexuspartsnow is a pretty good site with genuine oem parts

that's really the problem with these cars now, they're almost worthless and parts are very expensive so minor things can total them despite the car being good for countless more miles
Old 04-01-19, 04:57 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseNelso
It was in perfect shape until this. The guy that us in insurance company said they will fix it. Problem is the body shop they told us to go to can't find parts. I said I found some on Ebay but they are not allowed to use Ebay. Does anyone know where I can find parts?

We just refurbished the a/c for $2500, new tires for $550 and $100 battery. I would hate to lose this car.

Thanks,
Jesse

​​​​​​

Can't find parts" or won't?

"Not allowed to use e-bay"...or doesn't know how?

Select a body shop that will do their job.

It is their function to hunt and locate parts to repair your vehicle and not cause you to suffer the thinking.

Lots of donor cars out there.

So.lazy probably he married a pregnant woman...( the epitome of lazy).

Please post the name of the body shop
Old 04-01-19, 06:12 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

Look for another body shop and get more quotes. Also check out their work, and make sure that they do their prepping, masking, and reassembly properly. There are a lot of people who don't repair these cars right, and lack the right level of attention to detail.

It should not be hard to find parts for this car in California.

In terms of parts, your bumper skin may be salvageable. However, you will need some minor frame work in the front left area (should not affect safety), a fender, lights, a hood (which could also be repaired, but may exceed costs to replace it), a headlight bracket (also may be repairable), bumper lower trim (may be repairable), and potentially bumper foam abosorber and metal reinforcement.

Feel free to shoot me any questions about repairs made.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 04-01-19 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-01-19, 08:16 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The way insurance has worked for me in the past when somebody damages my car is ...

file a claim, with estimates of the repair. If the insurer wants to send their own adjuster, or go to one of their approved shops, fine.

Make sure it's a fair number. Justify the value of the car if "totaling" is a concern. Don't let them lowball me.

Get them to give me a check for what they owe me.

Then I do whatever I want. Fix it myself. Leave it as is. eBay, junk yard, rattle can and duct tape (not really, yet), whatever it takes or doesn't take. Up to me, not them. Live free or die.

And I have not done this (but I helped my neighbor with this once), but if the repair costs exceed the value of the car, they would pay you based on the pre-crash value of the car. And they'd then own the wreck. But they'd be obligated to sell it back to you for scrap value (whatever the junk yard would pay). And this is all on paper - it's not like the car actually goes anywhere. So if you wanted to keep it and repair it at that point, you could. The car would then have a salvage or rebuilt title, which reduces its value, and would require some procedures to get it back on the road.

So one way or another you can keep it and fix it however you like. It may be helpful to think about this in two stages - 1. get the $$ from insurance, and 2. get it fixed. And do both optimally. Versus getting the two stages done together. A little more risk, but probably you'll come out ahead.

Last edited by oldskewel; 04-01-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-02-19, 05:35 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Im surprised insurance didnt total it.You got lucky.Go to a different repair shop,these guys are monkeys IMO.
Old 04-02-19, 08:19 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Thats nothing! Easily maybe not cheaply repaired.

Junkyard?

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 04-02-19 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-02-19, 09:25 AM
JesseNelso
Driver School Candidate

The body shop is Kniesel's Collision in Sacramento. I'm going to check salvage yards around here. Still hoping for the best.
Old 04-02-19, 09:34 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by JesseNelso
The body shop is Kniesel's Collision in Sacramento. I'm going to check salvage yards around here. Still hoping for the best.
There is no shortage of junkyard parts in calif.
Old 04-02-19, 10:23 AM
JesseNelso
Driver School Candidate

I talked to the guy at the body shop, again he said parts were hard to find. I then sent him a email with about 6 links where to find the parts, gave him a week, so I guess it is sit and wait.

Thanks to everyone.

Maybe just total it and buy it back and fix it myself.
Old 04-02-19, 10:28 AM
spuds
Racer

Sounds to me he doesnt want to bother with it.
Old 04-02-19, 10:45 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

im in shock the insurance company even entertained the idea of repairing it instead of totaling
Old 04-02-19, 10:52 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Especially for 10s
Old 04-02-19, 12:12 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Yes, especially up in the Sacramento area, Rancho Cordova more specifically. The motherlode of junk yards. Literally dozens within a few blocks or miles of eachother.
Old 04-02-19, 12:23 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

Wow, I wish I could grab some parts from over there! Heh.

Quick Reply: Someone ran a red, hurt my 1990 LS400