LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Washed Engine No Start (SOLVED)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 07:05 PM
Rocky317
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 Washed Engine No Start (SOLVED)

So I finally got my Lexo running again after 2 weeks after I had to get towed home from the self-service car wash. I could not get it to start after I decreased and power washed the hell out of the engine!

I ended up checking and cleaning and drying every single connector and the spark-plug holes as well. I could not get a check engine light to diagnose why the crank but no start condition was persisting..

So without checking the timing before hand, I ended up changing the timing belt assuming that the belt got drenched with oil and water then slipped, still no start (1990 non-interference)

Then i changed the spark-plugs, ignition wires, distributor caps and rotors, then it barely started but ran on 4 cylinders only...

So i disconnected the drivers side ignition coil lead going to the distributor and the car acted the same (ran on 4 cyls), realizing that might be the problem i changed both coils (specifically drivers side coil) and the car finally started up and runs normal again!

I'm assuming the thermal shock from the cold water blew the old coil, and also, in a insanely rare circumstance the wire harness in the trunk leading up to the trunk lid had tore from accessing the trunk (to re-fill decrease and whatnot) tore and I believe the prevented the car from starting up at all (to run on the passenger side working coil) I believe that wire was somehow related to the fuel pump...

For reference the car has 262k miles and is a 1990 model... Next up are the knock sensors and EGR pipe!
Old 04-01-19, 07:44 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky317
So I finally got my Lexo running again after 2 weeks after I had to get towed home from the self-service car wash. I could not get it to start after I decreased and power washed the hell out of the engine!
Ouch! Next time .... you'll read my attempt to warn you ahead of time.
(take heart! mid '90s BMWs forgot to stick a drain hole in their DME box for the engine control module. Dead BMWs in car washes across the land!)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...mpartment.html

Old 04-01-19, 09:08 PM
Rocky317
Driver School Candidate

that’s the cleanest engine bay I’ve ever seen!

As as far as BMW I have 2001 M5 and trust me there are 0 issues with washing the engine.. I’ve done it 10+ times with no issues and that with a. Pressure washer.. the DME is sealed and no way moisture is getting in there at least for E39’s... I’ve had plenty of E46 and I can also attest that it’s not a problem to pressure wash those either..

Old 04-02-19, 05:24 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Rocky,I see you are one hell of a capable mechanic and you wont go wrong with replacing parts in the long term BUT.....Take the time and spend days reading all kinds of threads here and you will save a lot of time and money,thats a good thing.Educating yourself on this car is just time really well spent.
Lexus 101 is avoid water at all times.Im NOT a great mechanic so Im using knowledge to save me from a ton of misery on this car.

Example,are you aware of the power steering pump issue on the car?

Last edited by spuds; 04-02-19 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-02-19, 06:42 AM
Rocky317
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I bought this car for $300, needless to say I got what I paid for.. at 262k the car was completely neglected.. the power steering lines were ruptured and valve covers were leaking the entire engine was covered in sludge! I had no choice but to wash it.. this failure happened on the 3rd wash.. I should’ve taken a before and after picture.. the car was destined for the junkyard !
all the parts I threw at it had to be changed anyway if I wanted to drive the car daily..
surprisngly the trna
sission shifts flawlessly with some adjusting of the throttle cables..
Honestly it’s a pretty simple car to work on, being a V8 is the only added complexity and also pre-one makes it hard to diagnose..
its just like any other internal combustion engine..

and i I only paid $70 bucks for a complete timing kit lol I cheaper out but it works, let’s see how long the water pump holds up though

Originally Posted by spuds
Rocky,I see you are one hell of a capable mechanic and you wont go wrong with replacing parts in the long term BUT.....Take the time and spend days reading all kinds of threads here and you will save a lot of time and money,thats a good thing.Educating yourself on this car is just time really well spent.
Lexus 101 is avoid water at all times.Im NOT a great mechanic so Im using knowledge to save me from a ton of misery on this car.

Example,are you aware of the power steering pump issue on the car?
Old 04-02-19, 06:47 AM
spuds
Racer

the car was destined for the junkyard !
all the parts I threw at it had to be changed anyway if I wanted to drive the car daily..
You think much like I do,never hurts to have new parts on old cars.

The power steering pump will leak from the idle up valve....into the alternator.Killing it.Keep an eye out for that.Oh,another one.Never ever let it overheat,that will take out the engine.

There is a thread somewhere on what to look for when buying,it has all the quirks listed,hopefully someone will post the link,its a great thread.

Last edited by spuds; 04-02-19 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 09:36 AM
Amish
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was a young twenty something I managed a local Jiffylube. Every once in awhile one of my guys would spill a butt load of oil on a customers engine. When this happened I never took it to the car wash to clean but to another local shop that had a steam cleaner for autos. Much better to clean the engine compartment without completely soaking the engine with water. Steaming the engine with heat works WAY better than a pressure washer and is much safer for electronics. You can buy steam cleaners for engines for as little as $100 but I'd spend more. My engine is starting to get dirty but I am looking for a steam cleaner or something better to do this right at home. I don't want one of the cheap ones though so trying to find a good one that doesn't break the bank is my aim.

Last edited by Amish; 04-04-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 09:42 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

As as far as BMW I have 2001 M5 and trust me there are 0 issues with washing the engine..
Well sure they learned something, That little "mistake" cost them dearly ... as did the Nikasil/Alusil engine block fiasco.
My last real BMW was an E12 530 with the 3.0 L-Jet, what a smooth turbine engine and light chassis.
Old 04-05-19, 10:07 AM
Rocky317
Driver School Candidate

Cost them dearly how? Please do tell..

as far as the Alusil coated cylinders it’s a non issue, even with supercharged applications..
obviously honing the cylinders won’t happen, but won’t need to happen.
if you want to build the engine then sleeving is an option ?

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Well sure they learned something, That little "mistake" cost them dearly ... as did the Nikasil/Alusil engine block fiasco.
My last real BMW was an E12 530 with the 3.0 L-Jet, what a smooth turbine engine and light chassis.
Old 04-05-19, 10:13 AM
spuds
Racer

My fav has always been the 2002,and early 3 series.Rock solid and can they survive in a crash,the early 3's.Friends daughters survived an end over end flip in one on the freeway,and a head on with a cement truck and in both cases walked away! He told me the 3 is the only car he would get for a kid.
Old 04-05-19, 10:21 AM
Rocky317
Driver School Candidate

You realize 5-series are larger and have less aggressive handling, probably safer for rookie drivers such as children..?

My fav has always been the 2002,and early 3 series.Rock solid and can they survive in a crash,the early 3's.Friends daughters survived an end over end flip in one on the freeway,and a head on with a cement truck and in both cases walked away! He told me the 3 is the only car he would get for a kid.
Old 04-05-19, 10:32 AM
spuds
Racer

You realize 5-series are larger and have less aggressive handling, probably safer for rookie drivers such as children..?
Dunno .Just know the 3 stories and its mighty damned impressive,eh? Loved that era of beemers.
Old 04-05-19, 11:02 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Dunno .Just know the 3 stories and its mighty damned impressive,eh? Loved that era of beemers.
I've spent a boat load of time fixing my grandsons 2001 325xi the last four years. I've put in two fuel pumps(actually three), an intake runner gasket, new coolant plastic housing/hose parts, new spark plugs and valve cover gasket, a bad oxygen sensor, total door and am currently looking for a new front quarter panel. A bmw with 200k+ miles just plain has issues. Only thing I've done to my 2001 BMW z3 is wholesale the coolant system when it hit 12 years old. Of course it only has 57k miles and sits as a hanger queen in my garage.

Last edited by jaaa; 04-05-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 11:05 AM
Rocky317
Driver School Candidate

Your talking about changing some coolant hoses, a valve cover gasket and spark plugs ?? Hahah basic maintenance my man..
obviosly bought the wrong fuel pump since they last well over 150k.. o2 sensor? Hahah bro, these definitely don’t go and on Lexus..

please refrain from cirtiquing bmws guys and stick with what you think you know (Lexus) .. geez this group sucks.. you ppl are bunch of geezers

Originally Posted by jaaa
I've spent a boat load of time fixing my grandsons 2001 325xi the last four years. I've put in two fuel pumps(actually three), an intake runner gasket, new coolant plastic housing/hose parts, new spark plugs and valve cover gasket, a bad oxygen sensor, total door and am currently looking for a new front quarter panel. A bmw with 200k+ miles just plain has issues.
Old 04-05-19, 11:15 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Your talking about changing some coolant hoses, a valve cover gasket and spark plugs ?? Hahah basic maintenance my man..
obviosly bought the wrong fuel pump since they last well over 150k.. o2 sensor? Hahah bro, these definitely don’t go and on Lexus..

please refrain from cirtiquing bmws guys and stick with what you think you know (Lexus) .. geez this group sucks.. you ppl are bunch of geezers
Not sure what cirtiquing is, but am a geezer.

Quick Reply: LS400 Washed Engine No Start (SOLVED)