LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'93 LS Jerking and Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 05:44 PM
stoney1997
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation '93 LS Jerking and Bogging

This past monday on the way to work, my car randomly started jerking and bogging like a damn bull when I went to accelerate to get onto the highway. I had to pull over and immediately hated my life. Eventually it came to and let me accelerate quick enough to match traffic but once I got up to speed and gave it more gas, it bogged hard. It repeatedly bogged and jerked if I gave it anything more than 50% throttle.I was limited to driving like my grandma with slow acceleration and a lack of fun. My first impression was that water got into somewhere like the distributor or a sensor because it had been raining the whole night but this was never a problem before in the past 2 months I've owned this LS. The car wasn't misfiring on idle. The only problem was when I gave it more gas to accelerate.

Today I've took it out for a test drive, it's been sunny and dry out so I assumed maybe it was a little water somewhere. Same problem. I rolled my happy *** back into the driveway, unplugged my MAF, started it, and I barely made it 20 yards from my house before it bogged and almost stalled so unplugging the MAF increased said problem.

Im pretty stupid when it comes to things like this and most people's problems were fixed by replacing the MAF. I need guidance here boys, do I replace the MAF here or what?

P.S. My 1992 LS had a similar problem that quickly went away randomly, but it would stall if I gave it any gas at all and it eventually killed my engine, that problem ended up being an ignition coil that the next owner found out about.. Should I shoot straight for that tomorrow and replace the plugs, wires and coil(s)?
Old 04-11-19, 01:45 AM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Check all the spark plug wires carefully, specially the one that are attached to the ignition coil, look for arched, pinched or exposed spark plug wires. Check the igniter, check spark plug and confirm the porcelain part of the spark plug does not have cracks. Clean throttle body, check the transmission oil and make sure it's on full mark. Clean distributor ignition caps.
Old 04-11-19, 01:19 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Maybe fuel starved?
Old 04-11-19, 01:30 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
Maybe fuel starved?
Soft-failing fuel pump is my thought as well.

Is yours original? They seem to tend to fail between 150k and 200k miles. Mine failed soft and had really weird symptoms for several months until I had finally ruled out almost anything else and replaced the fuel pump - and that fixed it. Very tough to definitively diagnose. A fuel pressure gauge (I have one) would really help if you have the adapter to connect to the fuel rail (special Lexus part that I don't have).
Old 04-11-19, 03:17 PM
stoney1997
Rookie

Well let's start here. I pulled the plugs, white corrosion in the tubes but it was dry as hell so at some point water seeped in. Plugs and wires were fine, due for a change though, but thats on the list anyways. Cleaned MAF and TPS's as well as Throttle body.

Here is the fun part...
The fuel filter was the ORIGINAL filter. Never changed. This was hopefully my problem. I say hopefully because the fuel line twisted when I was trying to get it off, completely my fault, wasnt paying attention. I then proceeded to carefully twist it back and

*Fuel line cracked*
PSSSSSSSTTT Cracked the FU%#IN fuel line boys. Immediately freaked out and tried unscrewing the fuel filter to try and make a make shift rubber hose to shut it.

*Snapped off*
Twisted the damn filter and 2 inches of the fuel line straight off. F me right?

*The fix*
Ran to Pep Boys and a guy quickly rigged up a tube, nuts, and connectors for me to flange and stick onto the fuel line to quickly repair. After 7 long hours of back and forth and trying to somehow fix it. I gave up at 12 AM last night. This morning I said screw it and used two sockets to carefully bend the pipe to the shape i needed and it worked. Wow Stoney, is this the end? HELLLL NAAAHH

*The fail*
Screwed it all on as tightly as I possibly could while being more careful than I ever was with a baby in my hands and it started spewing fuel again and leaking out the top of the bolts as shown. I either A) didnt flange the fuel line right, B) didnt flange the piping right, or C) i didnt flange either right and to add insult to injury it wasnt going to work anyways.

So now we're here. I have given up. My neighbor is a mechanic and will take a look at it today or tomorrow and if he cant do it, I found a shop that will for $200 at most. I have given up completely and I am officially selling this Lexus when its fixed up and finding one that has actually been maintained the last 20 years.

Fin.
Old 04-11-19, 05:26 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Ouch!!
Old 04-11-19, 05:32 PM
stoney1997
Rookie

Originally Posted by spuds
Ouch!!
Ouch is an understatement. RIP my full tank of gas.
Old 04-12-19, 08:08 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

shame ur in tn I am looking for a 90-94
Old 04-14-19, 06:56 AM
VolumeToo
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The fuel system operates at 57p.s.i., unless I am mistaken. I think you need a new fuel line. TBH it may well be rusty anyway, so for your own peace of mind I'd say get it changed.

Last edited by VolumeToo; 04-14-19 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 07:32 AM
stoney1997
Rookie

Welp, I dont have the money or time to mess with a fuel line, pump, or change out sensors for hope that it works again. I traded the car last night for a good running 1994 Toyota Celica GT. I think I'm gunna take a break from the LS400s.