LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Restoring my 95 LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 11:05 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

this is amazing! wow!! im in the process of slowly restoring my 95 as well. those are 97 seats you put in. no issues putting them in with the airbags in them?

my armrest is shot to hell as well. almost as bad. my drivers seat is getting there. you got VERY LUCKY to find an interior that nice. ive been trolling the pick n pull yards here now for awhile. every one i see has a trashed interior. probably the climate.

post more pics of the car! whats the outside look like? whats its story? howd you get it? im definitely following this one

heres my 95 restoration thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...aving-her.html

oh, and if your tilt away steering wheel motor hasnt broken yet, it will. heres how to fix that.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-tutorial.html
The following users liked this post:
Giorgio13 (04-17-19)
Old 04-17-19, 11:25 AM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
this is amazing! wow!! im in the process of slowly restoring my 95 as well. those are 97 seats you put in. no issues putting them in with the airbags in them?

my armrest is shot to hell as well. almost as bad. my drivers seat is getting there. you got VERY LUCKY to find an interior that nice. ive been trolling the pick n pull yards here now for awhile. every one i see has a trashed interior. probably the climate.

post more pics of the car! whats the outside look like? whats its story? howd you get it? im definitely following this one

heres my 95 restoration thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...aving-her.html

oh, and if your tilt away steering wheel motor hasnt broken yet, it will. heres how to fix that.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-tutorial.html
Hey StereoRob,

Yeah the donor car was from a 97. No problems with the install, i just left the air bag connector unhooked since the 95 doesnt have the option. I seen a pristine arm rest at a salvage yard here in Phoenix if you are in the area. I'm sure to close all doors when im done incase another LS owner needs the parts👍🏽. Ill post pics of the salvaged cars i come across...also pics of my car when i can. Ill be sure to score the tilt wheel parts when i go again. Also need to get the IAC valve(new price at $1000 on autozone) when i come across them. The 27th is half off day for a salvage yard which has rear seats i need as well.
Old 04-17-19, 01:09 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
Hey StereoRob,

Yeah the donor car was from a 97. No problems with the install, i just left the air bag connector unhooked since the 95 doesnt have the option. I seen a pristine arm rest at a salvage yard here in Phoenix if you are in the area. I'm sure to close all doors when im done incase another LS owner needs the parts👍🏽. Ill post pics of the salvaged cars i come across...also pics of my car when i can. Ill be sure to score the tilt wheel parts when i go again. Also need to get the IAC valve(new price at $1000 on autozone) when i come across them. The 27th is half off day for a salvage yard which has rear seats i need as well.
good to know 97 seats are compatible! i know 98-00s wont work. unfortunately no man im in Orlando, FL and these cars although once dominated the streetscape here, there are very few left and even fewer in the junkyard. ive been looking for a good interior now for over a year with no luck. dont bother replacing the tilt away motor itself as it would require an insane amount of work to replace. the silver lining about these 95s is that they DO NOT have a sealed motor. super easy fix. a rubber grommet goes bad so all you have to use is something to replace it. i call it the "zip-tie" trick -fixed mine with a zip-tie. i dont know what the status of the rest of the stuff is in your car, but you should grab clusters and ECUs as those are common things that go out on these. may want to look out for a drivers master window switch as these are also common failures in 95s. that first pic of the interior was pretty raunchy. looked like it was parked with the moonroof open for several years. whats the story behind it?
Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 04-17-19, 01:38 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Located two sets of tan front seats in good condition

good to know 97 seats are compatible! i know 98-00s wont work. unfortunately no man im in Orlando, FL and these cars although once dominated the streetscape here, there are very few left and even fewer in the junkyard. ive been looking for a good interior now for over a year with no luck. dont bother replacing the tilt away motor itself as it would require an insane amount of work to replace. the silver lining about these 95s is that they DO NOT have a sealed motor. super easy fix. a rubber grommet goes bad so all you have to use is something to replace it. i call it the "zip-tie" trick -fixed mine with a zip-tie. i dont know what the status of the rest of the stuff is in your car, but you should grab clusters and ECUs as those are common things that go out on these. may want to look out for a drivers master window switch as these are also common failures in 95s. that first pic of the interior was pretty raunchy. looked like it was parked with the moonroof open for several years. whats the story behind it?
Have started to grab front seats from LS400 that appear like new or without split driver's seat leather.

Helped another forum member with a gray leather seat from a 1998-2000. Perfect condition

Would be willing to do same for other members.

Meanwhile, am seeking a like new drivers seat for my 1999 LS400 color "Cypress" or "Agate" Can only use 1998-2000 donor vehicle.

"Agate" or "cypress"
Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 04-18-19, 06:21 PM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ecu and clusters

Hey StereoRob,

Ill be sure to grab those parts from the salvaged cars i find. Ill also save the info on the zip tie fix(i checked out the link you sent). The car has been parked since a sickness i contracted and didnt have the cash to work on it but that has changed and i am working on it now. At the moment i am dealing with a oily motor. I am purchasing parts to reseal the engine and work on basically all parts from front to back. I was involved in an accident in this 95 but the driver fled the scene so the front bumper reinforcement needs replacing. The engine and transmission didnt shift at all(my 93 LS wasnt as lucky which was totaled back in 2009). I read a bit on you and was the 21 correct on the number of LS's you owned?

Parked for about a year but has been started every other week. Starts up just fine. Involved in an collision but the LS came out on top. Mounting brackets for lights cracked, bumper reinforcement saved the day. This is a gold badge car but the hood was replaced. She is an ugly duck at the moment but she will shine again.
Old 04-18-19, 10:22 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks great! I just replaced a lot of the interior of my 94. AND the entire steering column.
Giorgio13 (04-18-19)
Old 04-19-19, 05:52 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
Hey StereoRob,

Ill be sure to grab those parts from the salvaged cars i find. Ill also save the info on the zip tie fix(i checked out the link you sent). The car has been parked since a sickness i contracted and didnt have the cash to work on it but that has changed and i am working on it now. At the moment i am dealing with a oily motor. I am purchasing parts to reseal the engine and work on basically all parts from front to back. I was involved in an accident in this 95 but the driver fled the scene so the front bumper reinforcement needs replacing. The engine and transmission didnt shift at all(my 93 LS wasnt as lucky which was totaled back in 2009). I read a bit on you and was the 21 correct on the number of LS's you owned?

Parked for about a year but has been started every other week. Starts up just fine. Involved in an collision but the LS came out on top. Mounting brackets for lights cracked, bumper reinforcement saved the day. This is a gold badge car but the hood was replaced. She is an ugly duck at the moment but she will shine again.
okay so youve had it awhile then. glad the sickness is gone! i thought maybe you plucked it out of a field where it was sitting for years and years and brought it back to life. i did that last year with a black on black 99. had been sitting 3 years and was in pretty rough shape.

and yes, 21 of them
Giorgio13 (04-29-19)