LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Radiator fan conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-19, 07:43 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
I don't even know if it matters, I just remember someone pointing it out.
Pulley diameter dictates RPM. Changing the RPM changes the output of the alternator so I wouldn't recommend swapping pulleyes...
if I don't wouldn't that cause an over charge situation?
Old 05-04-19, 07:58 PM
bradland

Received 671 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
if I don't wouldn't that cause an over charge situation?
Electronics are not my forte but I'm pretty sure the voltage regulator manages that.
Old 08-03-19, 07:22 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Has anyone done this by chance?
Old 08-03-19, 09:01 PM
Yamae

Received 883 Likes on 666 Posts

Has anyone done this by chance?

aymaddemir has done it and posted the results here.

It is natural that the alternator for an early LS430 generates more power at lower rpm because of smaller pulley is used. That newly designed alternator's rotor has 8 poles instead of the normal 6 and the stator has 96 slots instead of the normal 36 and it has 12 rectifying diodes. These make it possible to supply 130A of current at higher rpm. It also uses segment windings and this contributes the higher output too.

Old 08-03-19, 11:11 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Yamae

It is natural that the alternator for an early LS430 generates more power at lower rpm because of smaller pulley is used. That newly designed alternator's rotor has 8 poles instead of the normal 6 and the stator has 96 slots instead of the normal 36 and it has 12 rectifying diodes. These make it possible to supply 130A of current at higher rpm. It also uses segment windings and this contributes the higher output too.
Regulator on those 430 alternators work out of the box for ls400?
Old 08-04-19, 01:59 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

It is natural that the alternator for an early LS430 generates more power at lower rpm because of smaller pulley is used. That newly designed alternator's rotor has 8 poles instead of the normal 6 and the stator has 96 slots instead of the normal 36 and it has 12 rectifying diodes. These make it possible to supply 130A of current at higher rpm. It
also uses segment windings and this contributes the higher output too.
The LS430 uses a smaller alternator pulley than LS400?

I see 61 vs 66 mm in Yamae's link but the pulley diameters for LS400 and LS430 appeared to be equal diameter when placed pulley to pulley at dealer.

In any event, the serpentine belt tensioner in the 1998 LS400.was able to accommodate any difference using standard OEM length serpentine belt.

Image from Yamae's link. Smaller alternator pulley will.generate more power at lower engine RPM's, by spinning the alternator faster

Last edited by YODAONE; 08-04-19 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 05:09 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The LS430 uses a smaller alternator pulley than LS400?

I see 61 vs 66 mm in Yamae's link but the pulley diameters for LS400 and LS430 appeared to be equal diameter when placed pulley to pulley at dealer.

In any event, the serpentine belt tensioner in the 1998 LS400.was able to accommodate any difference using standard OEM length serpentine belt.

Image from Yamae's link. Smaller alternator pulley will.generate more power at lower engine RPM's, by spinning the alternator faster
YODAONE, Use a ruler and actually measure the diameter. I'm very sorry to say but your posts often lack the data and not always authentic enough. People would appreciate more if you were to add actual measurement results with figures.

According to a Denso engineer, Toyota has requested Denso more current to generate when UCF30/31 Celsiors were at the design stage due to the reason of increased power consumption. The new SC alternator was capable to supply 130A+ at the peak but at the lower rpm, it was almost the same with older ones. To supply enough current, they had to select the smaller pulley. But smaller pulley means higher rpm at alternator's shaft and bearings and these were needed additional study and experiments.
Old 08-04-19, 05:29 PM
Yamae

Regulator on those 430 alternators work out of the box for ls400?
Unfortunately the answer is No.
The best idea is to use an original Denso's new alternator. The next comes the Denso alternator rebuilt by Denso. I don't recommend others at all.
Old 08-04-19, 06:31 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately the answer is No.
The best idea is to use an original Denso's new alternator. The next comes the Denso alternator rebuilt by Denso. I don't recommend others at all.
The original LS400 alternator is dated technology.
In pertinent part the wire used in the windings is round.
The LS430 alternator is a more efficient design and produces more power under the curve.

This alternator includes rectangular wire in the windings, thus is more efficient.

Aftermarket alternators mimic this design.

The integral voltage regulator on 2001-2003 LS430 works in harmony with the battery as it does on the LS400.

The difference being the 2001-2003 LS430 alternator is capable of producing more power at lower RPM.(under the curve)

Installed an LS43O alternator on a 1998 LS400 about two years ago and no issues.

The goal here was to go with an OEM upgrade.

If anyone else has done so, please report your results.

Finally, there is a difference in rebuilt Denso alternators.

Rebuilt Densc o alternators purchased from Lexus replace everything but the housing..so a much higher standard.

Am informed this is not the case with Denso Alternators purchased aftermarket.

You get what you pay for.
Old 08-04-19, 09:00 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

The LS430 alternator is a more efficient design and produces more power under the curve.

This alternator includes rectangular wire in the windings, thus is more efficient.

The integral voltage regulator on 2001-2003 LS430 works in harmony with the battery as it does on the LS400.

The difference being the 2001-2003 LS430 alternator is capable of producing more power at lower RPM.(under the curve)

Installed an LS43O alternator on a 1998 LS400 about two years ago and no issues.

Rebuilt Densc o alternators purchased from Lexus replace everything but the housing..so a much higher standard.

My thing is do I need to reuse the regulator from ls400 alt or would the 430 alt be plug n play?
Old 09-10-20, 10:49 PM
DannoMA70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about 99?
its complete plug and play, I just recently did the mod and took out my vacuum switching valve off my power steering pump as well so no more leaks!
Old 09-11-20, 10:45 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

How much electrical draw are the proposed fans needing? Are there other higher draw accessories that have been added prior? This is turning into more expenses to get this working.
Old 09-11-20, 11:22 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Who informed you of this.Im looking at my Denso rebuild from an auto parts supplier and it is IMMACULATE. Anybody short of DENSO telling you this I find it most unlikely.There is NO difference in the part numbers either from Lexus or aftermarket suppliers.I also find it very hard to believe Denso is running 2 separate lines in their rebuilding operation.Finally I find it very hard to believe Denso offers a supreme rebuild just for a limited number of lexus and a lower quality rebuild for all others world wide and isnt advertising the snot out of this premium rebuild.

Last edited by spuds; 09-11-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 11:37 AM
DannoMA70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
How much electrical draw are the proposed fans needing? Are there other higher draw accessories that have been added prior? This is turning into more expenses to get this working.
im still looking int to doing e-fans but I was stating about the ls430 alternator mod...
Old 09-11-20, 11:50 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DannoMA70
im still looking int to doing e-fans but I was stating about the ls430 alternator mod...
The LS430 is plug and play....
The diameter of the LS430 pulley is slightly smaller, but this is not a problem because the serpentine belt tensioner will pick up.the slack..

For further information:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...upgrade-3.html

Quick Reply: Radiator fan conversion