LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sumitomo riko hydraulic hose sourcing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 10:02 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Sumitomo riko hydraulic hose sourcing?

Sumitomo Riko is the OEM supplier for the 10 mm ID rubber hose used in our power steering lines.
The OEM.parts were high quality rubber which explains their performance and durability.

All rubber degrades with use and time...

3/8" hydraulic hose does not fit the 10mm fittings so am not seeking advice to use 3/8" inch hose.

Most of our original P.S. hoses are brittle from extreme heat and age....dangerous.

The rubber is coupled with hard lines, but flexible hose sections are not sold as a separate service item...and this is a problem because these assemblies are expen$ive...therefore they are not replaced until failure.

Aftermarket line assemblies exist, but not the same OEM quality.

Am seeking a supply chain partner stateside or globally who offers correct 10mm ID hydraulic hose.

A link to their website depicting an impressive array of rubber components;

https://www.sumitomoriko.co.jp/product/fe/en/products/auto.html

https://www.sumitomoriko.co.jp/english/product/automotive/

Some images from website..

Electrical connector seals

Connector terminal.wire seals

Engine covers

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-19-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 01:09 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Do you have an opinion on Silicone hoses? I generally buy vacuum lines by the foot, and lately have been getting Silicone ones, since they seem pretty great.

But I have not done the extensive background research you seem to do.

I know Silicone hoses have existed since before the LS came out, so if Silicone is better than synthetic rubber (is it?), why did Lexus not use it back then?
Old 05-18-19, 03:28 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Do you have an opinion on Silicone hoses? I generally buy vacuum lines by the foot, and lately have been getting Silicone ones, since they seem pretty great.

But I have not done the extensive background research you seem to do.

I know Silicone hoses have existed since before the LS came out, so if Silicone is better than synthetic rubber (is it?), why did Lexus not use it back then?
The post was intended to ascertain sourcing for 10mm ID high pressure hydraulic hose manufactured by Sumitomo...

As for type of hose selection is safety.

There are different grades of silicone rubber, but material required really depends upon the application; ie fuel lines, engine oil lines, Transmission lines, Power Steeriing lines, Air Conditioning lines, coolant lines, vacuum lines.

Pressure (and how high), or vacuum lines and heat involved also dictate materials.

If using silicone.hose for vacuum, be sure it is correct metric inner diameter (ID) AND that it has adequate sidewall thickness so as not to collapse inward on vacuum suction.

My 1999 has one special OEM vacuum hose that has different ID's to match different diameter tubes...go figure.

Mercedes used flexible plastic vacuum line and rubber tubing as coupling sections.

The concept is better because the plastic does not flex with vacuum thus vacuum signal is more instantaneous...however Mercedes rubber couplers did not hold up under engine heat.

The LS400 used durable rubber.

Overall hose quality has changed on newer models..

Perhaps you speculate whether you think that suggests better quality.

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-18-19 at 03:32 PM.