LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992 LS400 Ground Up Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 04:05 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Good job on the black carpet paint. That's a whole lot easier then changing the carpet all together, and you really needed to cover those stains. I also think it looks good with the grey seat.
Old 09-01-19, 05:47 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So I have these dents and pieces of rust in the fenders and hood and front bumper. I was thinking of going to the junkyard and picking up the fenders and hood and bumper from the junkyard. Do you people think that is a good idea or do you think I should see if I could have a shop fix it up? I want to get this car ready for paint/wrap. Which also leads into my next question, once I get the fenders and hood and bumper situation all sorted out, should I wrap it or rattle can spray paint it? I want to be all white, no two tone. Also, in order to prep for wrap/paint, do I have to sand the whole car down? or, how does one prep for paint/wrap?

Old 09-01-19, 06:20 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

The stuff in your trunk is going to slide around like mad with the wood. Looks fine. If you can get the body back to %100 accuracy then wrap. However don't Wrap it in white. there are so many white LS400's. If you are going to wrap it go with a funky color and get a White LS400 down the line.
Old 09-01-19, 06:39 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
The stuff in your trunk is going to slide around like mad with the wood. Looks fine. If you can get the body back to %100 accuracy then wrap. However don't Wrap it in white. there are so many white LS400's. If you are going to wrap it go with a funky color and get a White LS400 down the line.
Yea, the wood slides a bit but I am going to get sum rubber trim to put around the edge of it, like around the border so it will slide less. If I don't get the body back to 100% would you suggest rattle can spray paint? Or don't paint at all and just wait until it IS 100% and wrap it?
Old 09-01-19, 07:27 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeik
Yea, the wood slides a bit but I am going to get sum rubber trim to put around the edge of it, like around the border so it will slide less. If I don't get the body back to 100% would you suggest rattle can spray paint? Or don't paint at all and just wait until it IS 100% and wrap it?

I have gone over the idea of painting myself. I have seen rattle can jobs for sale and I never like the way it looks. Some guys on the forum paint the cladding and they seem to pull that off ok when trying to get the single tone. I would just wait for a wrap if you really are going to get the body work done.
Old 09-01-19, 10:55 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
I have gone over the idea of painting myself. I have seen rattle can jobs for sale and I never like the way it looks. Some guys on the forum paint the cladding and they seem to pull that off ok when trying to get the single tone. I would just wait for a wrap if you really are going to get the body work done.
Okay, sounds good. I'll just wait till everything is ready and then wrap it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-02-19, 09:33 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

Get some panels from the junkyard. Color doesn't matter, if you're going to wrap or paint it. Once you do the assembly, you'll have to sand the whole car to paint it, or you could just wrap over the existing paint. In either case, the surface must be clean.

Some prep may be necessary, if there are cracks or major blemishes in the paint. For these, sanding smooth and then applying primer would be a good route for wrap prep. If you're going to paint it, sanding the whole car will be necessary. Any bare metal should be covered in primer.

You could always try the rustoleum paintjob route. White wouldn't be a bad idea - I actually think it would look quite good. I bookmarked this post on a Dodge Grand Caravan:
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...-Dodge-Caravan

There are plenty of videos on Rustoleum paintjobs, as well. Might be a good option for a budget build.
Old 09-02-19, 11:34 AM
Jeik
Rookie

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Get some panels from the junkyard. Color doesn't matter, if you're going to wrap or paint it. Once you do the assembly, you'll have to sand the whole car to paint it, or you could just wrap over the existing paint. In either case, the surface must be clean.

Some prep may be necessary, if there are cracks or major blemishes in the paint. For these, sanding smooth and then applying primer would be a good route for wrap prep. If you're going to paint it, sanding the whole car will be necessary. Any bare metal should be covered in primer.

You could always try the rustoleum paintjob route. White wouldn't be a bad idea - I actually think it would look quite good. I bookmarked this post on a Dodge Grand Caravan:
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...-Dodge-Caravan

There are plenty of videos on Rustoleum paintjobs, as well. Might be a good option for a budget build.
Okay, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-11-19, 03:17 PM
Jeik
Rookie

So my driver's side window did not work when I first got the car, you could hear the motor working but the window wouldn't budge, although I could push down on the glass and it would slide down, then I would have to push up on the glass to get it back up. The previous owner told me that he had gone to a mechanic to see if they could fix it and he said the shop was gonna charge 400 bucks. But I went to the junkyard this past labor day, which is a great deal because if anyone lives near a pick n pull, the pick n pull is 50% off all parts Friday thru Monday on Labor Day Weekend. I picked up a new regulator and motor from a 93' and now the window works perfectly. However, one thing between the 93 and my 92 is that the connector from the car to the motor is different, so I had to cut the plugs off both ends and I just spliced them together, but since it is behind the speaker, I am hoping that the speaker isn't pushing down on the wire and will eventually break. I also picked up a driver's side seat belt because my previous seat belt did not retract and I was basically just wearing it so I didn't get pulled over, but it would not have done anything in the event of a crash. Now the seat belt works great, however, this seat belt is a shade darker than the other seat belts I had in the car, so now my driver's side seat belt is slightly a darker gray. At the pick n pull, there were seat belts that were the same color but no where near as in good a condition as the one I picked up was in.

The following users liked this post:
spuds (09-11-19)
Old 09-11-19, 03:32 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts

Another win, 2 actually! Color doesn't really matter as long they work! That's a big discount, I don't think our area salvage yards offer anything like that. The local yards near my house always act like I'm taking up their valuable time. I can't help but think there're a front for something else. On the plus side, when I pick something up and bring it to the office they always shoot me a great price!
Old 09-11-19, 03:35 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Fit1too
Another win,
Agreed,you nailed it!
Old 09-13-19, 09:02 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Also picked up this arm rest at the junkyard, minor mod but it looks better. Also, I have read that it is really difficult to change the shift **** because of overdrive button and that you have to solder the wires. Is this true? I want to get another shift **** at the junkyard, perhaps one that is in better condition than the one I have but I have heard that it is difficult, is this true? Is there any easy way to do it?

Old 09-13-19, 09:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeik
Also, I have read that it is really difficult to change the shift **** because of overdrive button and that you have to solder the wires. Is this true? I want to get another shift **** at the junkyard, perhaps one that is in better condition than the one I have but I have heard that it is difficult, is this true? Is there any easy way to do it?
Reverse the process used at the factory de-pin the wires going to the connector, there are a couple of cable ties to cut then you can pull the shift **** off (after removing the "hidden" screws of course).
Old 09-13-19, 10:18 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts

I was hoping you would find a nice armrest! Looks great!
Old 09-14-19, 11:42 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

It is a 1992 so the only thing that happens if the timingbelt goes is that engine stops. I have only read about a few LS400 that was used until failure. I remember reading about a 22 year old LS400 that failed after ca 140.000 miles. In claifornia where it is hot running that long may not work well. It is probable that yours have had at least one change. I would try to find out. It could save you some money.
I have a 1995 with dings and dents and scratches and some things that have given up that I use as a winter car. 115kmiles on it now. I only fix what is really needed and nothing cosmetic. Radio is dead, AC does not cool . Stering wheel is stuck as I want it etc. It is reliable though and is tight and vibration free.
I have put 1k$ and a lot of hours in it mostly in service parts. Body fixes can be expensive since some parts are hard to find.

Quick Reply: 1992 LS400 Ground Up Build