LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992 LS400 Ground Up Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 10:03 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Post 1992 LS400 Ground Up Build

Hi All,

I just wanted a place where I could document the process of my car so I could have a living timeline of what she goes through. Also a place where I can ask questions about the car. I just bought this 1992 Lexus LS400 for $800 on Saturday, May 18, 2019. I am 17 years old. I am open to tips and tricks and suggestions on anything that I should do to the car. The car has 200k miles with 2 owners before me. The previous owner daily drove it to and from work. Here is the starting point.

Old 05-20-19, 10:06 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome! First thing is what kind of maintenance has been done? Timing belt, water pump, starter, water pump, brakes etc?
Old 05-20-19, 10:09 PM
Jeik
Rookie

The only thing that I know that has been done is a new radiator and a new alternator. The owner said the tires were leaking air so I got new tires. The previous owner had gotten it through a salvage title where it had been in an accident and his friend rebuilt it. I think after the original accident just body work was done. I read that timing belts are supposed to be done every 100k but are super expensive right?
Old 05-20-19, 10:11 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeik
The only thing that I know that has been done is a new radiator and a new alternator. The owner said the tires were leaking air so I got new tires. The previous owner had gotten it through a salvage title where it had been in an accident and his friend rebuilt it. I think after the original accident just body work was done. I read that timing belts are supposed to be done every 100k but are super expensive right?
It really depends how handy you are, if you're willing to do it yourself it's not overly complicated just time consuming, probably 4 to 5 hours if you're handy. You can get a new belt and water pump off rock auto without losing an arm and a leg. Of course if you take it to a mechanic it will cost more but that's normal for anything.
Old 05-20-19, 10:12 PM
Cptnslo
Rookie

At that mileage it's probably already been changed but for peace of mind I'd pull off the front covers and take a look at it to see what kind of shape it is in.
Old 05-20-19, 10:16 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome and congrats! How is it currently running? Any warning lights on? Do you have any maintenance history? Oftentimes there is a sticker in the engine bay that shows the date and mileage of the last timing belt change. I paid $600 for my first car way back when. I walked to work all summer and saved up to purchase it. The Lexus I currently own is my 54th car!
Old 05-20-19, 10:16 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cptnslo
At that mileage it's probably already been changed but for peace of mind I'd pull off the front covers and take a look at it to see what kind of shape it is in.
okay, I'll probs take a look under the hood this week when I try and clean everything out of the interior, it has been raining here and has been kind of hard to do anything, I'll report back with what I see has been replaced and what I can find.
Old 05-20-19, 10:19 PM
Jeik
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fit1too
Welcome and congrats! How is it currently running? Any warning lights on? Do you have any maintenance history? Oftentimes there is a sticker in the engine bay that shows the date and mileage of the last timing belt change. I paid $600 for my first car way back when. I walked to work all summer and saved up to purchase it. The Lexus I currently own is my 54th car!
It currently runs fine, I drove it about 60 miles from where I bought it to my house and it runs smooth. The only light that is on on the dash is this red brake light but the previous owner said he redid the brakes recently and that light now stays on forever. I too saved up all of last summer working so I could buy this car now!
Old 05-20-19, 10:32 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Lexus recommends every 90K miles or 7 years. The cost varies, but I was recently quoted $900 by my local Toyota dealer. Mine goes in Wednesday due to time (12 years). If you do it yourself, or have a local mechanic do it, make sure to use Toyota (Aisin) parts. Rockauto.com carries the kit. Yours isn't an interference engine so if the belt breaks it's not that big of a deal. I'd drive it for a bit to see how it does and then get into other stuff. Change the oil, put good fuel it it, and make sure the brakes are good!
Old 05-20-19, 10:38 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

It currently runs fine, I drove it about 60 miles from where I bought it to my house and it runs smooth. The only light that is on on the dash is this red brake light but the previous owner said he redid the brakes recently and that light now stays on forever. I too saved up all of last summer working so I could buy this car now!
Search the forum on the brake light issue. Might be something simple. Keep an eye on the brake fluid in the meantime. Also, at the top of the forum screen there are sticky threads that are relevant to your model.
Old 05-21-19, 07:18 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Dont ever pressure wash engine,these cars have bad reactions to water.Old electronics and water really dont mix on the LS400.Electrical connectors will be very fragile, as in pull them apart and they very well may crumble.Best advice Ive seen IMO is spray on cleaner and wipe off with rags.
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (05-21-19)
Old 05-21-19, 07:44 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Good point spuds! Don't want to start off creating problems.
Old 05-21-19, 08:18 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Subscribing to follow you build to bring this back to a good life.
Old 05-21-19, 10:41 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome to the club!

Don't spend another minute thinking about the timing belt. A professional repair would more than double what you paid for the car. Doing it yourself, at age 17, unless you're the Mozart of car mechanics, is not something you're probably ready for. Your '92 is not an interference engine, so even if the belt were to break, you would not damage the engine.

The car looks good, and it seems you got a fair deal. Great that the car drives fine.

I recommend you be in cautious mode for a while at first. Check all the fluids - oil, ATF, coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid, rear differential. Check the owner's manual for exactly how to do all those things.

Then start picking off the actual problems your car definitely already has, as you slowly gain ability, tools, and confidence. Maybe start with the easy ones at first. Do NOT go looking for problems that don't actually exist (e.g., Timing Belt), or thinking about upgrades. That's all down the road.

If prioritizing, hit the safety issues first.
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (05-21-19)
Old 05-21-19, 10:53 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

The only light that is on on the dash is this red brake light but the previous owner said he redid the brakes recently and that light now stays on forever. I too saved up all of last summer working so I could buy this car now!
First off, welcome to the club. Alot of information here on how to fix what ya need to. Plenty of info in the stickys at the top of page and also take a look at http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/
The red light that says "brake" is for when the E-brake is engaged. Try lifting up on the pedal, the spring might be bad. If it was low on fluid the yellow "trac" light would come on. (not the trac off light)
In my opinion that car isn't worth bringing back to its glory. You say you saved all summer to buy a car for $800. That car is gonna take many many thousands to fix. Every single piece of interior needs to be changed. It looks like it was at the bottom of the ocean, or in a flood. The whole front clip is smashed. Not to mention it's got 200K and gonna need a boat load of bushings and suspension work, don't know about under the hood yet. Gonna need a set of wheels. Whoever just put the new tires on should have put all the lug nuts back on. Also, those rims are directional, (well, 3 of them are) the one on the back driver's side is a right side rim. And just a thought but the one odd ball rim is from a 95-97, which is a 16" rim, the 92 rims are 15".
I'm gonna give you a little advice. Take it how you want it but it's what I would tell my teenage kid. (grandkid) If you want a nice LS400, there are plenty out there for a cheap price that are in a hell of alot better shape then this thing is. You should use this car to get back and forth to work while saving money to get a better one. Fix the small things on this one to keep it running and drivable. Good luck either way.
The following 2 users liked this post by deanshark:
abelluther (05-21-19), kambam3627 (07-09-19)

Quick Reply: 1992 LS400 Ground Up Build