LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Climate Control Turning Off & On

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 05:57 AM
staygold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Turning Off & On

I have a 92 LS400 and recently had the AC serviced/charged due to lack of cold air. Prior to the service, the climate control would also turn off and on randomly on its own while driving. It actually even once cycled through lo, med, and high all on its own.

The AC was way low on refrigerant and now that it has been serviced, it is blowing cold again. However, I am still having issues with the climate control turning off and on. Just yesterday it was working, blowing cold and then the shut off as if I had turned the air OFF while driving. The display showed the time but nothing else on the climate control would come on. I tried pushing all the buttons but could get nothing. All other functions were working and not acting this way (display, radio, lights, etc ).

This morning the AC/climate control is working again. The shop that did the AC service stated today that they would not be able to "pull codes" to see what was going on since it is pre-1996. They suggested I take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

Anyone had this issue or have any recommendations? All I know to do is take it to the dealer but I know that is going to be $$$$.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-19, 06:25 AM
Giorgio13
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by staygold
I have a 92 LS400 and recently had the AC serviced/charged due to lack of cold air. Prior to the service, the climate control would also turn off and on randomly on its own while driving. It actually even once cycled through lo, med, and high all on its own.

The AC was way low on refrigerant and now that it has been serviced, it is blowing cold again. However, I am still having issues with the climate control turning off and on. Just yesterday it was working, blowing cold and then the shut off as if I had turned the air OFF while driving. The display showed the time but nothing else on the climate control would come on. I tried pushing all the buttons but could get nothing. All other functions were working and not acting this way (display, radio, lights, etc ).

This morning the AC/climate control is working again. The shop that did the AC service stated today that they would not be able to "pull codes" to see what was going on since it is pre-1996. They suggested I take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

Anyone had this issue or have any recommendations? All I know to do is take it to the dealer but I know that is going to be $$$$.

Thanks!

Check and replace your fuses that feed power to the AC controller. Maybe a coin may have fell into your cigarette lighter hole and caused a fuse to blow. Fuses may seem fine when visually inspecting but a fuse from 92 may have some wear you can't see. Good luck and please up date us on your fix.
Old 05-22-19, 07:07 AM
staygold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Giorgio13
Check and replace your fuses that feed power to the AC controller. Maybe a coin may have fell into your cigarette lighter hole and caused a fuse to blow. Fuses may seem fine when visually inspecting but a fuse from 92 may have some wear you can't see. Good luck and please up date us on your fix.
I will definitely check that but I figured since it would come and go and the display worked always that it would not be a fuse issue? With my limited knowledge I am sure I am wrong to assume that.

Will update later today after checking the fuse.
Old 05-23-19, 11:19 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by staygold
Thanks!
They could have pulled codes if they knew more about the Lexus. Or if they just took a minute to look it up. Here is how to get the codes and the list of what they mean. Good luck.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/air/accodes.html
Old 05-23-19, 02:02 PM
staygold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
They could have pulled codes if they knew more about the Lexus. Or if they just took a minute to look it up. Here is how to get the codes and the list of what they mean. Good luck.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/air/accodes.html
Thanks for tip but I actually did run that test from lexls.com and nothing came up. Of course when I ran the test the A/C was working at that moment.