LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New member - 2000 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 10:45 PM
TwistOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New member - 2000 LS400

Hey everyone,

I wanted to do a quick intro, I picked up this new to me 2nd Gen on Friday, I’ve owned several cars from Toyota's to BMW's , nowadays I’m in a truck but I came across this car and could not pass up. She’s a bit beat up on the outside, but it only has 187k KMs, (from Canada, BTW). Current plans are brakes, timing belt and water pump. Over the last two days I have replaced a all the tail end bulbs, had the tail lamp warning, cabin air filter and cleaned out the interior, she was filthy! Future mods are suspension upgrade, rust repair, and a head unit upgrade, maybe new paint but that’s down the road.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed to the forum, I have been using the information here over the last couple of days. Cheers all! -TwistOne

Last edited by TwistOne; 05-26-19 at 10:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
saleenssc (05-28-19)
Old 05-27-19, 04:03 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome, and congratulations on your new ride!
Old 05-27-19, 08:13 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Welcome,looks like a winner.
Old 05-29-19, 03:09 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

looks great, but take care of that rust ASAP... we dont have that in Texas... just flat land, and some hills..
Old 05-29-19, 06:48 PM
TwistOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
looks great, but take care of that rust ASAP... we dont have that in Texas... just flat land, and some hills..
Thanks!

Unfortunately we get severe winters here and so it’s common for cars to get rusted especially when not taken care of immediately.. My other vehicles have all been sprayed and are rust free so far, then again they are not as old as this car. The rust is getting fixed, but I’m getting it done by a body shop, since I know nothing about body work and I want it done right so hopefully by next month. Timing belt, water pump and brakes are on my top do list, parts have been ordered so it should be a fun couple of weeks for me once they arrive. This thing drives so nice, too bad it was neglected by the previous owner. But after I’m done with it, it should look and drive like it’s new-ish again.
Old 05-29-19, 07:02 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

I'm not good with body or paint work either. I use a guy that can match paint work perfectly. Also,you may already know this, but you can find any service work that has been performed by Lexus at: drivers.lexus.com Just sign up for a free account and enter the VIN#.
Old 05-29-19, 07:33 PM
TwistOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fit1too
I'm not good with body or paint work either. I use a guy that can match paint work perfectly. Also,you may already know this, but you can find any service work that has been performed by Lexus at: drivers.lexus.com Just sign up for a free account and enter the VIN#.
So I registered and entered my VIN and it does not have any service records for my car and I know it was serviced by a dealer up until 2007, their are service logs from the dealer in the manual. Maybe because it’s I’m in Canada, and it might be a U.S. thing?
Old 05-29-19, 07:48 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

That's odd. I ran into that on a LS460 I was eyeballing. You never know with technology.
Old 05-30-19, 11:11 AM
Cptnslo
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome! Great color! Def get the rust fixed asap since it will spread but otherwise the paint looks like it just needs a good correction and she will be set!
Old 05-30-19, 12:57 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Awesome color, color I want. How much was it?
Old 05-30-19, 10:01 PM
TwistOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cptnslo
Welcome! Great color! Def get the rust fixed asap since it will spread but otherwise the paint looks like it just needs a good correction and she will be set!
I’m just waiting for quotes at this time, and if all goes as planned should be fixed by next month.

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Awesome color, color I want. How much was it?
Thanks, I paid $2800 CAD. When I test drove the car, it smelled like something was leaking, I couldn’t see anything when I popped the hood but even the seller agreed something was leaking, so I made an offer and he took it. Once I got it home, I spent about 4 hours cleaning it, changed the cabin air filter and smell is gone.

Old 06-01-19, 09:19 PM
Viclow19
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I too just purchased a 2000 LS400

Originally Posted by TwistOne
Hey everyone,

I wanted to do a quick intro, I picked up this new to me 2nd Gen on Friday, I’ve owned several cars from Toyota's to BMW's , nowadays I’m in a truck but I came across this car and could not pass up. She’s a bit beat up on the outside, but it only has 187k KMs, (from Canada, BTW). Current plans are brakes, timing belt and water pump. Over the last two days I have replaced a all the tail end bulbs, had the tail lamp warning, cabin air filter and cleaned out the interior, she was filthy! Future mods are suspension upgrade, rust repair, and a head unit upgrade, maybe new paint but that’s down the road.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed to the forum, I have been using the information here over the last couple of days. Cheers all! -TwistOne

I just got a 2000 LS400 about 3 weeks ago may be. I'm from the US I'm in New Jersey I picked up my Lexus with 287000 miles I need it all brakes and rotors the steering was whining and randomly stiff only turn softly when you are holding down the gas. And after two weekends I just fixed all the brakes and I just fixed the steering and I didn't have to buy a pump or anyting. Next thing I have to do is get rid of that big dent on the driver side rear quarter panel I got to do the Hub on the front driver side and then I'm doing a stereo work a the stereo work a mine's came with the navigation Factory.
Old 06-04-19, 06:15 PM
TwistOne
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone, I just tried searching and not getting any luck, so today the front and rear brakes were replaced, pad and rotors and now the “Brake Wear” warning came on. The warning was not there prior to doing the work, am I missing something? I will check the sensors again but it seemed fine when I looked. Any thoughts or, if someone could link me to a thread if this has been asked before, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-04-19, 06:41 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

I'd check the sensors (they're on the passenger side only, one for the front, one for the rear), one of them must have tripped the warning message.
Old 06-04-19, 07:45 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

I love the jade green! car looks pretty good overall, definitely get those things sorted though

Quick Reply: New member - 2000 LS400