LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Intermittent Door Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 06:36 PM
dcwang3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent Door Lock Issue

Hi All:

I have a 2000 LS400 and just started having issues with the the door locks. When I press the door lock/unlock switch several times, I noticed that both my rear locks will actuate intermittently. The rear driver side actuates less frequent than the rear passenger, but occasionally they do work. So I decided to pull off the rear driver door panel and took out the lock actuator. I cracked it open, everything looked fine. I pulsed the motor (without a load) with 12V and worked fine. Contacts on the position sensor looked fine. The relay controller is receiving power, and when I switched the power, I noticed that the motor side connector was getting voltage (couldn't tell it was exactly 12V because it was so fast on the multimeter). I took apart the relay controller, everything looked fine, no burnt contacts or anything.

When I switch the locks very slowly at like a once every 10 or 15 seconds, all locks seem to work fine, but when I switch much faster, that's when I see the issue for both rears. It works for the few toggles but after that it basically slows down sort of like the local capacitors don't have enough energy to pulse the motor normally. I can hear the relays clicks.

Do you think I can rule out the lock actuator and relay controller (I guess it's called the multiplex computer)? Should I look elsewhere?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

-David

Last edited by dcwang3; 05-28-19 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-28-19, 09:20 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by dcwang3
Hi All:

I have a 2000 LS400 and just started having issues with the the door locks. When I press the door lock/unlock switch several times, I noticed that both my rear locks will actuate intermittently. The rear driver side actuates less frequent than the rear passenger, but occasionally they do work. So I decided to pull off the rear driver door panel and took out the lock actuator. I cracked it open, everything looked fine. I pulsed the motor (without a load) with 12V and worked fine. Contacts on the position sensor looked fine. The relay controller is receiving power, and when I switched the power, I noticed that the motor side connector was getting voltage (couldn't tell it was exactly 12V because it was so fast on the multimeter). I took apart the relay controller, everything looked fine, no burnt contacts or anything. To change the motor is another way to fix.

When I switch the locks very slowly at like a once every 10 or 15 seconds, all locks seem to work fine, but when I switch much faster, that's when I see the issue for both rears. It works for the few toggles but after that it basically slows down sort of like the local capacitors don't have enough energy to pulse the motor normally. I can hear the relays clicks.

Do you think I can rule out the lock actuator and relay controller (I guess it's called the multiplex computer)? Should I look elsewhere?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

-David
That's the typical symptom of the aged PTC thermistor built in the actuator motor. It is also called a Posistor® named by the company which manufactures the PTC thermistor. See the photo below and it is indicated by a red arrow. It increases the resistance as temperature rises and reaches the Curie point. This part is used to protect the motor when the heat is accumulated too much in the motor. It is an important part for the automobile to protect it from fire hazards. It has some tendency that as it ages, the initial resistance becomes bigger and also the Curie point temperature becomes lower in my experience.

The quickest way to fix is to replace the actuator. Dealerships only do so and charge you $$$. I usually only replace the Posistor purchasing it at Akihabara Tokyo. Problem is that the part is not available easily.

Last edited by Yamae; 05-28-19 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 03:16 AM
dcwang3
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm that’s interesting. I really appreciate the explanation. I didn’t realize the actuators had a ptc in it. I did measure the resistance across the dc motor terminals and it was showing approximately 6-7ohms.

From a Japanese forum that I saw that had information about removing the door panel and cleaning the dc motor, they mentioned the resistance was around 3-4ohms. So you mentioning the initial resistance of the ptc ages, which sounds consistent.

do you know what the part number is of the ptc?

or it’s actually probably better just ordering a whole actuator from amazon, just need to make sure it’s the correct size and shaft. How would the original leads get transferred to the new actuator? I am assuming it’s just solder points?

Last edited by dcwang3; 05-29-19 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 05:31 AM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by dcwang3
Hmmm that’s interesting. I really appreciate the explanation. I didn’t realize the actuators had a ptc in it. I did measure the resistance across the dc motor terminals and it was showing approximately 6-7ohms.

From a Japanese forum that I saw that had information about removing the door panel and cleaning the dc motor, they mentioned the resistance was around 3-4ohms. So you mentioning the initial resistance of the ptc ages, which sounds consistent.

do you know what the part number is of the ptc?

or it’s actually probably better just ordering a whole actuator from amazon, just need to make sure it’s the correct size and shaft. How would the original leads get transferred to the new actuator? I am assuming it’s just solder points?
The resistance value 6-7 ohms is twice bigger than the normal. It simply means that the PTC thermistor's resistance is much bigger than original. The original PTC thermistor in the motor is a custom product for Mabuchi Motor CO. LTD. and the part number is unknown. There was a way to replace the motor but now it is impossible here because the motor was discontinued by Mabuchi. Newer motors don't have soldering terminals and you can't simply use those for our Celsior/LS400. There may be a way to use them adding extra terminals but what I do is just to use another PTC thermistor. This one can't be installed inside of the motor and I set it up outside of the motor after short-circuiting the original PTC therminstor.

The one I used last time was this below marked C965 ..... manufactured by TDK.
https://www.tdk-electronics.tdk.com/..._C945_C995.pdf
Since this has to be set outside of the motor and it can't detect the motor's temperature well. So I use it at my own risk.

The best and the quickest way is to replace the whole actuator unit paying about $200 each.
I haven't try this but there may be a way to buy a newer motor and replace only the PTC thermistor if the sizes and the specifications are the same.

Old 05-29-19, 06:54 PM
dcwang3
Driver School Candidate

This is great information. I took apart the pinion gear thinking that it was just a rounded shaft motor that I would need, but found out that it had splines. So after all this, I decided to order whole new lock actuators.

The car has Aisins and I found the same ones that it suppose to fit the 2000 ls400 for a reasonable price. We will see how they work.

thanks for the help!
Old 05-30-19, 04:34 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Change the little motor and you should be fine, I did this about 10 years ago, I order the small motor on eBay and crack open the black actuator and replace little motor, working perfect ever since I also did this fix to my land cruise it’s a super common issues for Toyota. You might notice it worst in summer time
Old 03-20-21, 03:34 PM
thewhits
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of references in this thread about taking the motor apart (fc-280pc-22125) flat shaft and OEM PAN14EE12BC motor then putting the top plastic piece on the old original OEM motor resulting in an OEM solution . But I find that getting the tabs on the motor to pry up enough is almost impossible because the thickness of the metal does not easily bend and no room for the tools. Does anyone know of a way or a tool that can bend the tabs to get the motor apart ?
Still trying !!!

Thanks so much if you can help !