LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Location and removal of neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 01:38 PM
DasDream
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location and removal of neutral safety switch

Hey all,

I believe I have narrowed my no start of my 92 ls400 to being either the ignition switch, the ecu, or the neutral safety switch. I've replaced the ignition switch and replaced my ecu caps. I am now trying to find and diagnose the nss but am having trouble finding it. There is very little information on the subject for this car. Can anyone help me find the nss location and provide direction on how to remove it and test it? I completely dismantled my center shiftconsole and shift **** trying to find it. I can see through the interior down into the transmission area. The shift piece is connected to a metal rod via a cotter pin. My car is lowered so getting underneath and easily looking around is hard. Help please! 😊😊 Thanks everyone
Old 05-31-19, 03:51 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm guessing your starter is not working and you're narrowing it down...

Before going any further, on my '91, I was once convinced of a NSS problem. Then just as I was about to jack the car up and take it out / clean / replace / etc., I checked fuses. There is a 7.5A fuse for the "STARTER" in the driver's footwell fuse panel. Mine was blown somehow. Replacing it fixed my problem.

As I recall the NSS would have been accessed by jacking the car and then finding it attached to the AT somewhere obvious. Luckily I've never actually had to find it. Good luck.
Old 06-01-19, 08:44 AM
DasDream
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I'm guessing your starter is not working and you're narrowing it down...

Before going any further, on my '91, I was once convinced of a NSS problem. Then just as I was about to jack the car up and take it out / clean / replace / etc., I checked fuses. There is a 7.5A fuse for the "STARTER" in the driver's footwell fuse panel. Mine was blown somehow. Replacing it fixed my problem.

As I recall the NSS would have been accessed by jacking the car and then finding it attached to the AT somewhere obvious. Luckily I've never actually had to find it. Good luck.
I thought it was the starter before so I took it out and had it tested and rebuilt. I can jump the starter relay and it cranks every time. This was where I've been stuck for awhile because I'm not getting any spark and figured that the ignition switch primes everything including the ecu. I've tested all wiring through the ignition system and it dead ends at the ecu. Also I've figured that the nss is telling the ecu not to start the car because it's faulty. If I turn my key to on my cooling fans don't turn on either. They used to always automatically turn on with the key in the on position.
Old 06-01-19, 01:13 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DasDream
I thought it was the starter before so I took it out and had it tested and rebuilt. I can jump the starter relay and it cranks every time. This was where I've been stuck for awhile because I'm not getting any spark and figured that the ignition switch primes everything including the ecu. I've tested all wiring through the ignition system and it dead ends at the ecu. Also I've figured that the nss is telling the ecu not to start the car because it's faulty. If I turn my key to on my cooling fans don't turn on either. They used to always automatically turn on with the key in the on position.
That situation - starter cranks when jumping the starter relay, otherwise not - is exactly how mine was, until I found and replaced that 7.5A fuse in the upper right of the following diagram, which is from the manual for my '91. You can see how it relates to NSS below that. Very weirdly, before it got to this state, the problem was intermittent for a while - start or no-start randomly. Never figured out what blew the fuse, or what made it intermittent, but after replacing the fuse, no problems.

Also, BTW at over 200k miles now, my '91 is working great on its original starter, starter relay, ignition switch, and ECU with replaced capacitors. That fuse and the battery are not original, everything else is.

I agree the lack of spark adds a twist here. Hopefully the circuit diagram can let you figure out how a single problem somewhere would be causing the symptoms you've got.

Last edited by oldskewel; 06-01-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-12-22, 05:02 AM
Wesley227
10th Gear

Default Check under glovebox

Originally Posted by DasDream
under your glove box there is a wiring harness connection that may have came loose by any kinda of beating or wreck… may or may not be ur problem but it’s an idea if still no luck I’m having problems with starting wheee I just put a new starter in not denso and the starter relay is not getting power I don’t know where they go from there