LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Was this a good purchase
Yes
58.33%
No
8.33%
I don't Know
25.00%
We need pictures first
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

My First Lexus LS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 11:56 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Here is some info on Top Tier Fuel: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
Old 07-03-19, 08:30 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I know my front end has issues with not being "all there" so there is a good chance of that. What type of oil filter do you use? I guess I should just get one of the higher priced ones? I managed to take my air intake apart and cleaned the filter that was in there. I will get a new one. I removed and cleaned the engine cover so it looks a bit nicer. I need a new front end fan assembly as I only have one right now. The radiator and filter thing at the front are in bad shape. The foam lining has become basically stuck together dust. I have some lines in there that need to be replaced they are rusted up.

Engine without the engine cover.

What is this line? I think it has something to do with the cooling system?

Closer look

This is where it goes... and then across the front and then up back into the engine.

I drove it around a bit after cleaning the air filter. Might have felt a bit better but could be my imagination. There was a lot of dust and crud in there. And wow the air intake on the LS400 really is quite limited. I saw some guy on youtube putting a 1uz into an isuzu. the engine sounded so good. i want mine to sound like that.
Old 07-03-19, 09:17 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Well I know my front end has issues with not being "all there" so there is a good chance of that. What type of oil filter do you use? I guess I should just get one of the higher priced ones? I managed to take my air intake apart and cleaned the filter that was in there. I will get a new one. I removed and cleaned the engine cover so it looks a bit nicer. I need a new front end fan assembly as I only have one right now. The radiator and filter thing at the front are in bad shape. The foam lining has become basically stuck together dust. I have some lines in there that need to be replaced they are rusted up.

What is this line? I think it has something to do with the cooling system?
I think your 97 only comes with one fan. Not sure what year it started like that. That line coming from the bottom of radiator is for the tranny fluid. There should be another one on the other side also. Might as well change both if starting to rot away.
Also, it looks like you need a new PCV valve and rubber grommet. Alot of oil coming out on top of that valve cover.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (07-03-19)
Old 07-03-19, 10:39 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Good eye on the PCV valve deanshark! I got overwhelmed looking at the dust and dirt and trying to figure out where I would start—no offense John. Be sure NOT to spray the engine with water or steam clean it right now—you can wipe stuff off as you go along and it will look better (if it bothers you, if not don’t worry about it).

Don't mess around with that transmission line too much, it might let go somewhere and dump the fluid out. The PCV valve would be an easy fix. I use Castrol Full Synthetic 5W30 and get the OEM filter and drain plug gasket sent to me from eBay, the part# for the oil filter is: 90915-YZZD3, the gasket is: 90430-12031. Mine came as a set.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (07-03-19)
Old 07-04-19, 07:54 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Thanks for the info deanshark. I have ordered the PCV valve and rubber grommet. I also ordered an oil filter and air filter. I forgot to order the oil pan drain screw washer but I can pick one up. Which one is the PCV valve? I thought it was the orange one because it was under the cover but the other leaking spot in green seems like it could be it.

None taken Fit1, I got it like this. Since it seems like cleaning the engine is the thing we do in the club. And since you are so helpful Fit1 I will clean my engine better. What do you all think about gas system cleaners? The ones for cleaning the fuel injection nozzles. I know there are seafoam tutorials so I figured it could be worth a try since my mileage is quite low.

Edit: Should I not use an engine bay cleaner on it or just dont spray it down with the hose>? which i was never planning on doing. because the plastic cleans up ok but the dirt on the metal is caked on with grease

Last edited by JohnAndic; 07-04-19 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-04-19, 08:38 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

I was just kidding you about the dirt, I detailed the heck out of our 99 RAV4 engine bay when I got it 18 month ago, but after putting 25K mile on it over the last year, I gave up on trying to keep it clean. The engine bay on our Lexus was pretty clean when we got it and doesn’t get driven much, so I just wipe over things occasionally.

I quit spraying water on car engines long ago—one bad experience was enough! If it were me, I would get some old rags together (terry cloth if possible), a roll of Bounty paper towels, some mineral spirits, Dawn dish liquid and a bucket. Wipe off as much of the oil and grease that you can using paper towels, rags, a scraper, etc. Moisten the rags with mineral spirits and wipe down what you can and use the paper towels to wipe up the grime. Make a bucket of soapy water with the Dawn dish liquid and wipe down the rest. Just take your time and do a little as you can—or a lot if you have the time. You can finish things off with a protectant of your choosing.

Changing the air filter is a good idea—I didn’t think of that! I’ve used Seafoam before to remove water from a tank of fuel, but for fuel system cleaning I recommend Lucas or Redline. I actually don’t use anything anymore, just quality fuels.

Also, I think the green circle is your PCV, but mine is a 98 model so don’t hold me to it.
Old 07-05-19, 06:53 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Yes, your green circle is the PCV valve.
Old 07-05-19, 07:28 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Today I started getting a humming or buzzing noise from the engine compartment. I don't know what it is. I will have to investigate tomorrow. All I know is I went for a drive and didn't notice anything. But when I pulled into my driveway and turned the car off I heard it briefly. Just now when I went to put my windows up and put the car into ACC mode I heard it. I suppose that means it has something to do with the electrical system?

Edit: Maybe its alternator whine? perhaps when i disconnected the DRL ground I didnt put it back correctly somehow.... Maybe it was under the engine cover and i put it on top of the cover just under the bolt...

Last edited by JohnAndic; 07-05-19 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-06-19, 08:04 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

OK. After minor checking it out it seems like the sound is coming right from my fuse box. I could be wrong. I took apart the air intake because I thought maybe my MAF was dirty. I looks pretty clean to me. I can't get a good picture right now.
Old 07-06-19, 01:20 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

So I took apart my Air Intake. I had trouble getting the part which holds the filter back on. Before I took the rest apart it slide back in the spot so easily. I really had to struggle with it. I though maybe I lost a spacer or something . Anyways... When I had my air intake apart and the DRL ground just loose on its connection and I put the car onto ON there was no buzzing noise. I put the air intake back together, turned the car to ON... No buzzing. I put the engine cover back on, tighten it a bit. Turn the car back to ON, no buzzing. Great! I have fixed it I think. I can't wait to tell the CL guys about this. Tighten the Engine cover down, turn the car to ON, the buzzing is back. WTF. Take the engine cover off and try again, still there. Car still starts, the buzzing happens but you can't hear it until the car is off. It dies in a second or two after the car is off. I figure I can't figure it out right now I have other things to do. Put the engine cover back on, turn the car on to move it. After I move it, no buzzing....

Starting to look a bit better with all the plastics on it.

My MAF Sensor.... I'm pretty sure. The wires at the back were not black so I didn't do anything to them.

This is the DRL ground. At first there was no buzzing like this, then there was... So its something else? Or for some reason it wasn't the same both times?

My PCV valve looks like its a tiny bit bent to me. As if the tube has been pulling it all these years. I have ordered the new one

I got the part with the L on it nice and clean.
Old 07-07-19, 11:54 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Looks better and better! I wouldn't mess with cleaning the MAF right now. I'm sure there is a proper way to do that, but I don't now how. Better to leave well enough alone.
Old 07-07-19, 07:15 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Hi John and welcome to the club.... I agree with some others, dont try to restore this one, just drive it and get your money out of it and look for a TEXAS car (no rust).. lot of miles, but that dont hurt LS's
Old 07-08-19, 04:31 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Congratulations, that's a great deal. I want to get a 2nd gen LS again but my wife won't let me!
Old 07-17-19, 12:40 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Cool I'm back

My computer died for a couple days but I am back up and running now. So I have a new ECT Sensor so that is my next project. I replaced the Air filter, the car sounds better actually getting some O2 now. I am waiting on my PCV valve. I am wavering on weather I will change the oil myself or just get it done someplace, seems like its hardly worth doing it myself.

Originally Posted by billydpowe
Hi John and welcome to the club.... I agree with some others, dont try to restore this one, just drive it and get your money out of it and look for a TEXAS car (no rust).. lot of miles, but that dont hurt LS's
It has already begun. I won't put a ton of money into it but I gotta take care of my girl a little bit. I live in Canada, No Texas LS400 is gonna make it up here unless someone moves. This one was from Arizona but didn't live there that long.
Old 07-17-19, 12:42 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sdls
Congratulations, that's a great deal. I want to get a 2nd gen LS again but my wife won't let me!

Thank you sir. She hasn't let me down yet. I don't have wife so I can do what I want. And yes for me the 2nd gen have the best look. Wouldn't mind that 5 speed transmission though.

Quick Reply: My First Lexus LS400