LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Was this a good purchase
Yes
58.33%
No
8.33%
I don't Know
25.00%
We need pictures first
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

My First Lexus LS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 04:39 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs up Replaced ECT sensor

Hey guys. So I replaced the ECT sensor. The old one was not rusted away like some guys have said theirs was. I found it fairly difficult to do considering I have no background in mechanics and my back being bad isn't fun, but I am glad was able to do it myself. That being said I would like to let everyone see what my engine sounds like afterward. I though the exhaust smelled less rich. Start-up seems pretty much the same. To me the engine seems like it has picked up a new sound. Like its breathing or something every once in a while. Is this a misfire? Am I just hearing things? I have not taken her out for a drive yet. Will do that very soon.

This is my old ECT sensor. It's not shiny. I was kind of hoping it would be junk and I would know I was making a difference.

This is how I managed to get it loose. I used two wrenches to get the leverage I needed. Perhaps it would have been easier just to take more apart but that was going beyond what the guide does. How have others managed to get the ECT out? I can't see how you would fit a socket wrench around it.
Old 07-19-19, 05:56 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

How have others managed to get the ECT out? I can't see how you would fit a socket wrench around it
You need a deep socket. Some deep sockets aren't deep enough. It's easy enough to check though. Just clap it onto your new sensor. If it fits, you're good to go.
Old 07-19-19, 06:25 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
You need a deep socket. Some deep sockets aren't deep enough. It's easy enough to check though. Just clap it onto your new sensor. If it fits, you're good to go.
Yea I figured something like that existed and was needed. Dumb of me to not go and get a set. I drove the car and no problems yet. The wire casing and plastics inside my engine have become very brittle. The ECT sensor double pronged wire casing was damaged a little exposing the wire on one side a little bit. Anyone know if that is going to cause me problems? Kind of seems like it all the wiring in the engine should be redone but that would be a giant job.
Old 07-19-19, 06:43 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Yea I figured something like that existed and was needed. Dumb of me to not go and get a set. I drove the car and no problems yet. The wire casing and plastics inside my engine have become very brittle. The ECT sensor double pronged wire casing was damaged a little exposing the wire on one side a little bit. Anyone know if that is going to cause me problems? Kind of seems like it all the wiring in the engine should be redone but that would be a giant job.
You really don't want exposed wiring. You might try some liquid electrical tape to repair it.
The following users liked this post:
Fit1too (07-19-19)
Old 07-20-19, 10:30 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Of course. I got myself some liquid electrical tape. I will take it all apart again and fix it.

I have driven the car a bit more. No coolant leaking out still. I have noticed like other have mentioned that there is more low end power. Before the car seemed to struggle around 1500 RPM now it seems much smoother on the road. RPM seem to climb more steadily. Engine temp seemed like it rested at a slightly lower temp for a little while.
spuds (07-21-19)
Old 07-23-19, 03:12 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Question

When should my front end fan be turning on? I have not seen it running when the car is on. Is it for when the A/C is running?
Old 07-23-19, 09:44 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

I believe it should always come on when the A/C is turned on, and if the engine reaches a certain temperature. Also, not exactly sure about the LS400, but the fan speed may increase as necessary.
Old 08-03-19, 05:33 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Cool Wire Fix

Alright, my back finally felt good enough to tackle this again. I took all the plastics off and repaired the wire insulation. .

This is what it looked like with the ripped insulation. It was damaged on both sides.

I sprayed it with contact cleaner and used the liquid tape after it dried. I actually put a bit more on there.

I figured I should clean a bit more. This stuff is dirt + oil + tiny bits of leaves. All I can do it get it wet and scrap it off with a plastic card, products do nothing. It also in areas which is impossible to clean unless I take the engine apart much more.

WTF!!

This is how clean I got it before giving up.

My hand started going numb so I had to stop. After putting everything all back together, I also repaired this other bit of wire that was damaged elsewhere. It seems like the car sounds different again. I didnt notice any MPG change since changing the ECT sensor. Filled up recently so I will find out for sure soon. I think I have clearance/rubbing issues that are causing my low MPG. I notice sounds from the front end suspension that sound like parts are rubbing. I'd like to take off the front tires and see whats going on in there but my back is not happy. I am happy with the car though.
CELSI0R (08-03-19)
Old 08-03-19, 07:35 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Looks great. Listen to your back and you'll be better off for it. That's what I do!
Old 08-03-19, 08:39 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

Updates are looking great!

Try Purple Power or Super Clean degreaser with a towel, to get rid of all that grime. Works wonders for me, and saves my back too. These degreasers are quite strong, so you can dilute them a little with water to prevent waste.
Old 08-17-19, 12:00 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Cool

Well, I return in shame. Having my oil changed and 2 quarts of the ATF drained and changed. They also suggested a tune up. I said ok, the car sounds a bit nicer except for the fact that they ****ed up my muffler somehow. Now I have to get that fixed but whatever... I remember why I wanted to do stuff myself again....

Anyways. I am not sure but I think this is the car that I wanted to buy originally https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/lexus/ls/mississauga/ontario/19_11207147_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=3_15_32&sprx=100

If not It has everything the kid told me wanted to do to the car. Its a nice one but I dunno about 7g's.
Old 08-17-19, 12:13 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Don't sweat the little things, it will work out. Seems a little pricey with 165K miles, but hey.... It would have to be perfect! No smells, no leaks, no smoke, no shimmies, no shakes, every single feature would work, newer everything i.e. timing belt, water pump, tires, brakes, clear title, verifiable, good maintenance history, etc.
Old 08-18-19, 01:23 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fit1too
Don't sweat the little things, it will work out. Seems a little pricey with 165K miles, but hey.... It would have to be perfect! No smells, no leaks, no smoke, no shimmies, no shakes, every single feature would work, newer everything i.e. timing belt, water pump, tires, brakes, clear title, verifiable, good maintenance history, etc.

Ok So it turns out this 1997 Periwinkle Blue LS400

is the first LS400 i wanted to buy listed at $2500. Could have bought it for $3000 from the guy who bought it back then, Buddy tells me he is 7 large into into already including the Rims and coilovers. Bunch of other stuff just done mostly front end suspension. Kids these days. I'm only like $1200 into mine in the same amount of time but he has done much more. Still that one is clean as can be. Although now that I know more about these cars I would probably not buy another one with the interference engine. I wouldn't mind driving around in an LS400 that looks more like his then mine but getting mine to that point is not worth it. Also the money put into this one makes me rethink the whole thing, if he really is 7G into the car and can only hope to sell it for 7G and as you mentioned Fit1 in the condition it is in, apparently needs a couple more things, most of you will say it should be less $$. This is Canada though where we get taxed to all hell.
Old 08-18-19, 02:20 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

It is clean but I wonder what it is like mechanically.
Old 08-18-19, 08:02 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Ok So it turns out this 1997 Periwinkle Blue LS400

is the first LS400 i wanted to buy listed at $2500. Could have bought it for $3000 from the guy who bought it back then, Buddy tells me he is 7 large into into already including the Rims and coilovers. Bunch of other stuff just done mostly front end suspension. Kids these days. I'm only like $1200 into mine in the same amount of time but he has done much more. Still that one is clean as can be. Although now that I know more about these cars I would probably not buy another one with the interference engine. I wouldn't mind driving around in an LS400 that looks more like his then mine but getting mine to that point is not worth it. Also the money put into this one makes me rethink the whole thing, if he really is 7G into the car and can only hope to sell it for 7G and as you mentioned Fit1 in the condition it is in, apparently needs a couple more things, most of you will say it should be less $$. This is Canada though where we get taxed to all hell.
I like your thinking about the non-interference engine, but there is the ECM thing, and I like the VVT and 5-speed transmission on my 98 model. I won't be able to get back what I have in my car, but the experience has been priceless for me. The car was/is everything I thought it would be. The sound during heavy acceleration is worth everything—they don't make drugs that bring about the rush I experience during those few seconds after takeoff when the Acoustic Control Induction System opens the intake up—especially if you do the JBrady mod seen here:
(the sound I’m talking about starts at around minute 6:35). I did not do the JBrady mod, but there is a way to remove the air intake snorkel, put door edge guard around the air filter, and reinstall using the OEM air box clamp. I had to do it once just to experience it firsthand. I took my Lexus out in the country and opened it up—sweeeeet! At one point I was accelerating nicely and a jogger was up ahead in the distance, as I approached him the ACIS opened the intake up and it was singing so beautifully that the guy turned back to see what was coming toward him—sounds similar to the Dodge Chargers that our local police force use.

As I said earlier, for that price all you would need to do to it would be to wash it!

Quick Reply: My First Lexus LS400