LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Was this a good purchase
Yes
58.33%
No
8.33%
I don't Know
25.00%
We need pictures first
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

My First Lexus LS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 09:54 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Fit1too
At one point I was accelerating nicely and a jogger was up ahead in the distance, as I approached him the ACIS opened the intake up and it was singing so beautifully that the guy turned back to see what was coming toward him
Maybe he thought it was his girlfriend's husband coming after him.
The following 2 users liked this post by deanshark:
Fit1too (08-20-19), spuds (08-20-19)
Old 08-26-19, 11:27 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

My exhaust system is pretty rough right after the catalytic converters. The flanges are worn and rusted out. Sections of the muffler are rotten with at least 1 hole. My cats are ok but you can't get the flanges without getting new cats. The parts are not available right now anyways. It was suggested to me I take it to a muffler repair place where they could possible fabricate the parts I need and have them put in. Sounds like a big job, but I suppose not as big as changing the entire exhaust.

Also I am realizing now there is for sure an issue with my drivers side front suspension. Most likely something is tired or worn out because it sits 1 inch or maybe more lower on that side. I figure I would have to buy front end suspension kit, coilovers? or something like that for both sides in the front. I have to take the front end apart one of these days and see what I am dealing with.

I have also been meaning to pull out my ECU and take a look at her and the caps situation. I attempted to hot glue pull the dents from my drivers side front fender but I couldn't get it to work. I didn't but one of those kits though I just tried to do with at home items so this was probably the reason I couldn't get it to work haha. The glue just stuck to my car and now I have to get the glue off....
Old 08-27-19, 01:10 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have two LS400 . One is a not perfect1995 . I have put 1000$ in parts and many hours to make it reliable.
Not working is Radio , AC, steering wheel adjustment , Some dents and rust patches here and there , old and worne windscreen etc. I will not fix those things.
If I did it would be a pure hobby thing. Not worth the effort nor the parts for me.
I use it as my wintercar. Permanetly fitted with studded NOKIAN winter tires.
I also own a spotless 1998 without a mark or scratch on it and everything works. 110k miles on it. I Use that as my summer car. I hope it will last me a long time .
This way of doing this suits me. I can fiddle with the idle LS at my leisure.
Old 08-28-19, 02:37 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikaelse
I have two LS400 . One is a not perfect1995 . I have put 1000$ in parts and many hours to make it reliable.
Not working is Radio , AC, steering wheel adjustment , Some dents and rust patches here and there , old and worne windscreen etc. I will not fix those things.
If I did it would be a pure hobby thing. Not worth the effort nor the parts for me.
I use it as my wintercar. Permanetly fitted with studded NOKIAN winter tires.
I also own a spotless 1998 without a mark or scratch on it and everything works. 110k miles on it. I Use that as my summer car. I hope it will last me a long time .
This way of doing this suits me. I can fiddle with the idle LS at my leisure.
Yea buddy it sounds like a plan. I almost pulled the trigger on a rust free 93 SC400 and planned to do the same type of thing. Then I saw the gas mileage of the SC400 and got scared. If I can find a 94 LS400 in mint condition I will probably go for it because I can get the Classic insurance and use it as my summer and run my current beast in the winter. My engine, my A/C, brakes, radio all work so well so I love my car, she's a trooper.
Old 09-18-19, 03:08 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Default Little Tantrum

I knew this would happen. My first baby got jealous of the new whip, check engine light came on a couple days after a got the 98. I have a Blue Driver on the way and I will diagnose and update you all with progress.
Old 09-18-19, 07:25 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
I knew this would happen. My first baby got jealous of the new whip, check engine light came on a couple days after a got the 98. I have a Blue Driver on the way and I will diagnose and update you all with progress.
HeHe, I adopted mine out before I got the RX. Hopefully it is just something minor.
Old 09-18-19, 09:05 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

HeHe, I adopted mine out before I got the RX. Hopefully it is just something minor.

I think the DRL system I was forced to have installed crapped out because I just noticed that the lights are real dim.
Old 09-19-19, 06:12 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Maybe you could disconnect it to see if that corrects the problem. Does the new one have DRL?
Old 09-19-19, 11:01 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Maybe you could disconnect it to see if that corrects the problem. Does the new one have DRL?

Yea it does but the 1998 is a Canada vehicle so it is was built in at the factory.
Old 09-19-19, 12:03 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Well, that's one less hassle to deal with. I like the DRL feature, it's supposed to lesson the chance of an accident by 35% or something like that.
Old 09-19-19, 12:32 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Well, that's one less hassle to deal with. I like the DRL feature, it's supposed to lesson the chance of an accident by 35% or something like that.

My 99....slowly over 1 year I've replaced so much, just needs an alternator, clean right headlight, right fender and bumper. Cosmetics take a back seat tho.
Old 09-19-19, 04:22 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Turns out to be P0420. My new Blue Driver tells me that there a bunch of causes. Catalytic Converter, leaky exhaust manifold or pipes. HO2S sensor. Its probably the exhaust. Not so long ago I patched a hole in my exhaust pipe with some muffler repair stuff... sounds like maybe another has formed... Unless patching the hole in the first place was the problem...
Old 09-19-19, 07:12 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Maybe the patch has blown out. Have you noticed any changes in the exhaust sound?
Old 09-21-19, 07:26 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Maybe the patch has blown out. Have you noticed any changes in the exhaust sound?

I checked it but the patch seems like it has held. I'm sure there was other holes. Its kind of hard to tell my exhaust sound on the 97 because its had two mufflers deleted. I cleared the codes and they have yet to come back after some minor driving. Maybe some moisture got in there or something.
Old 09-21-19, 11:33 AM
nismo2070
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
I checked it but the patch seems like it has held. I'm sure there was other holes. Its kind of hard to tell my exhaust sound on the 97 because its had two mufflers deleted. I cleared the codes and they have yet to come back after some minor driving. Maybe some moisture got in there or something.
The P0420 code means the ECU isn't seeing a major difference in voltage between the O2 sensor before the catalytic converter and the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter. It could be that someone "punched out" the catalytic converters or the platinum/ceramic isn't effective anymore. A bad O2 sensor can cause a P0420, but you'll generally get a code for the particular sensor before hand. BTW, congrats on picking up your LS400. They are wonderful cars!

Quick Reply: My First Lexus LS400