LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Was this a good purchase
Yes
58.33%
No
8.33%
I don't Know
25.00%
We need pictures first
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

My First Lexus LS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 05:51 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Even More Stuff

What is this thing?

I took it off. WHen I tried to clean it... all those words came off. RIP toyota paint

These are where the two bolts for the throttle control/ cruise control unit.

This is the throttle? I dunno, the black thing is cruise control actuator

It wasn't that dirty. I really should have taken a picture of how the cable was before I took it apart.... I think I remember

More to come.
Old 06-11-20, 07:50 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
What is this thing?
I took it off. WHen I tried to clean it... all those words came off. RIP toyota paint
That is the dedicated horn for the alarm! In addition to the two primary horns, that one goes off when the alarm is triggered. It is a third tone for an even louder alert.

The second motorized unit you show is the cruise control motor for controlling the throttle.
Old 06-11-20, 10:40 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Unhappy I want to cry.

Thanks Celsior. But I have terrible news. I am about ready to give up completely, I am so disappointed in myself right now. I cracked my windshield. I thought I would tackle the seized windshield arm again. I struggled with it for a while before. I put pressure on the windshield like a moron and cracked it. Basically right away. I don't even need to take it off I just thought I should be complete.

Feel like everything I have been doing is completely pointless now. All I did was hurt the car more then help it. 23 years and the windshield is completely undamaged and I do this.

I hate myself so much right now. I caught the bottom of the windshield with pressure and that's all it took. I was enjoying myself working on the car. DAMNIT, I didn't even need it off and I had worked on it so long without cracking it. Was careless for a second and dammit.

It might be possible to fix it with a repair kit but if I can't I will be beating myself up for this for 20 years.
Old 06-12-20, 01:41 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a windshield on one of my lexus 1995 LS400 that has done 120.000 miles . Many small marks and a sligth haze .
On my other 1998 LS400 is was changed 20000 mile ago. Soo much nicer with a newish windshield.
The thing with this is that you will probably appreciate a new windshield if you can get one. Not a waste of money in my opinion.
I am contemplating changing mine on the old(er) car.
Here in sweden apart from often having low standing sun and glare getting one seems not easy or cheap and it may get worse.
Old 06-12-20, 08:11 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Well I made it through the night. Thanks for the response Mika. I watched many videos of windshield repair and have come to think its probably repairable. Have to look at it like a learning experience instead of going nuts. Going to be putting everything back together soon.

Emergency horn and Cruise control/throttle reinstalled. Looks better. Started cleaning up the firewall also, Looks way better.
Old 06-12-20, 08:12 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Default Trunk Stuff and rebuild

Put this net in the trunk. With all the side liners out it fits in there perfectly.

There was so much water in this side under the tool box. Luckily there is one of those plastic plugs and the water drained out.

This is the other side. Its been like this since I bought it.... I suppose this is years of dirt from the rain building up here.... Plug removed.

Headlights were dirty. Its all been cleaned up.

This are going to be a pain to get back in.... since 3 of 4 sheared of when trying to remove the bolts.... and the 4th I cut for no reason..... Sometimes I just don't know.

Bondo on the the Bumper

More Bondo

Gonna be sanded tomorrow.

Removed the hood liner and cleaned the hood up. I realized every time I closed the hood dirt and junk was getting on the engine. It's nice and clean now. Looks very good without the liner.

I had no idea there were stickers under here.

USA and CANADA baby but no CALIFORNIA

Looking much better. Coming back together now.

This is almost looking worthy of Club Lexus.

Anyone remember this? Lines up much better now. I am not sure what I did to change how this lines up. In the pas the hood didn't come down and line up right.

Last edited by JohnAndic; 06-12-20 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (06-13-20)
Old 06-13-20, 03:08 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Anyone remember this? Lines up much better now. I am not sure what I did to change how this lines up. In the pas the hood didn't come down and line up right.
Very nice. Always a good feeling when the oem panels fit back up to spec.

If the hood didn't line up right in the front of the passenger side, you can adjust the height cushion by turning it clockwise or counterclockwise.
Old 06-13-20, 03:23 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Question Back together but wont start.

I put the car back together. I removed the mystery aftermarket part that wasn't hooked up to power that I think was a DRL system. I moved the ground cable for my existing DRL system. I reconnected the battery, I touched the negative terminal with the hookup by accident and made a little spark. I hooked it up and it was seeming ok. The lights and stuff came back on. The security light was flashing. I put my key in and it responded with the beeping and steering wheel moved a bit, when I turned the key to turn it on the car completely died.

Interior lights work and the door open symbol is still on. When I put my key in the ignition it seems like all power to the car dies as the ding chime begins but dies right away. The security light no longer flashes.

Help please.

Edit. Maybe that aftermarket part was still hooked up and was tied into the coil plugs because it was somehow related to starting the car. But I already cut the wire which was connected to the driver side, side light so I dunno.

Last edited by JohnAndic; 06-13-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 04:28 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Ok I re-installed that part. The car is responding now... still will not start. I will have to re-install it exactly as it was and see if that changes things. I guess I should have just left if since I didn't know exactly what it was.
Old 06-14-20, 05:28 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Smile

So its all good now. I re-installed the thing I took out just like it was and the car starts now like before.

I realized that the "immobilizer module" was blocking the fuse box lid from sitting in the correct place, as a result the fuse box lid was what was keeping the hood from closing properly. So Now I tucked the module down in a cavity and put the ground back so it all closes the right way.

Working on the bumper again. Sanded it and cleaned it. Actually primed it.... then I realized I did a really crap job with the bondo. Like so crap I shouldn't have even done it. So I plan to re-sand the bondo because I know it will bother me. Its really only 1 spot that is bad but paint will never cover it up.

Passenger Side

Driver side repair with plastic welder and SunnyD bottle. The little flap was gone so I decided to weld this on there. I think it should hold, its not load bearing, its for getting the bumper corner snug. I will ad the holes when the time comes.

This is my painting set-up. Was planning on getting it done today but like I said the bondo is too shyte.
CELSI0R (06-15-20)
Old 06-14-20, 05:44 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Default OK heres the shyte Bondo

How it looks with one light primer layer.

This is too bad. I used way to much Bondo, its harder to sand then I expected. You should spread this stuff with a Popsicle stick not a trowel. I should have watched a youtube tutorial first. I should have bought a power sander my back is killing.

This one might be ok

Same here. This is low no one will notice.
CELSI0R (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 06:31 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Default It Continues

Taking on the rust spot above the driver side door and windshield. I removed the trim piece and the rubber above the door.

Ouch. At one time, an owner used something on there. I think they believed the car was leaking from the corners of the windshield but it was the backed up moonroof issue. I think. I will find out.

Rusty.

Above the windshield.

Cleaned it up. The paint on these cars is so thick.

Looks better like this. Will be painted.

Passenger side completely stuck. I'd like to get it out.

Stripped

Stripped in the past, someone in the past cut the line in it. Re-stripped. The other screw is also stripped. I want it off....

Rust must die.

Here is the black. First coat. I won't lie, it looks terrible.
Old 06-15-20, 07:38 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

On the bright side, since you are thinking of replacing the windshield, removing it might be useful in accessing and cleaning up all of the rust.

For painting, I found this video super helpful:

I'm by no means a body work guy. I can seal up rust, touch up paint, and align panels, but I'm not a good painter. That being said, this video has taught me a lot for the next time I give it a try on some spare parts I have.
Old 06-17-20, 07:43 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Throw some more salt in there why don't you CELS...lol. My painting is ok. Its the fact that I scratched the hell out of it with rough sand paper more then I needed too. I only learn the hard way.

Just wanted to say, it wasn't quite $20,000 USD in total for the years of care for the car that I have records for. Most was in Canada. Still a ton of money of course. Glad to have the records for it.

Its looking a bit better now. Put a whole can of Rustoleum Gloss Black on there and once the paint drys it tends to look better. Thin layer of clear coat, will probably throw another one on there.

Black Rust Paint. I'm not trying to win any beauty contests, only want to stop the rust from eating all the way through.

Passenger Side

You can kinda make out the steeringwheel cover I manged to finally get on by leaving it in the sun inside the car

I used a fine paint brush.

Interior rusted spot. Not as worried about paint overlap.

My next problem area. Plastic and bondo is my plan. These cars really are built so well. How many years you guys think this rust has been going? I say a decade to get to this point. I broke some off so it wasn't this bad but what I broke off is completely rusted out.

Old 06-17-20, 09:16 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Smile Painted Hardware

This might have been overkill but it gives me peace.

Serenity now.

Quick Reply: My First Lexus LS400