LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 Ls400 radio not turning on!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 03:33 PM
96lsbuild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ls400 radio not turning on!!

(Sorry for the story but I rather let you guys know what happened before I explain the issues )
I recently bought a 96 ls400, car was sitting for a while with a dead battery. Disconected the negative terminal to get the car to turn on since it was corroded, after I brushed it off it started fine everything work including ac and radio. Gave it a jump, test drove it, bought it and took it home. Battery had 12.4 volts so I figured it didnt make a clean contact with the cables. Disconnect the battery clean both of the terminals with a wire brush connected them back and all of a sudden the Lexus phone makes a beep that I never heard. I go to turn on the car starts right up, I noticed that the radio stopped working but my climate control still works. Nothing pops up on the radio, check both radio fuses and they are not blown. Also my keyless remote no longer locks or unlocks the car. The door light on the cluster stays on when the car is off but stays off when the car is running. Can anyone help me out ?? I got no clue where to start and really want my radio to work
Old 06-25-19, 04:36 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

I think,maybe, its the phone muting the radio,somebody will come along and explain it.
The following users liked this post:
96lsbuild (06-26-19)
Old 06-25-19, 06:10 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
I think,maybe, its the phone muting the radio,somebody will come along and explain it.
I thought the same thing. I had the following saved in a Word document, but I did not create it—forgive me for not being able to site the original author.

"I found an old post on this site and they said if you had a Lexus dealer installed phone that might be your radio volume problem because of a feature for the phone mutes the radio when a call comes in. The post said to disconnect all the connectors to the phone ECU located in the trunk on the far-right side and to take the 2 connectors that come from the front of the car to plug those 2 together and viola I got my radio volume back! So then I did a lot of searches for the blower motor problem and finally found something on the Lexus owners site that said if you had a Lexus dealer installed phone that might be the problem because the phone system also mutes your blower fan to its lowest setting. But the instructions to fix it were the same as the radio fix to disconnect the phone ECU since I already did this fix to fix my radio problem I was stumped because the fan was still stuck on low. So, I was sitting in my car with it running at my house thinking I will disconnect the battery for a while and that would clear things up and the fan would work....no it still did not work. I was convinced it had to be still related to the phone so with the car running I opened my trunk and disconnected the 2 connectors that I had connected when I was trying to fix the radio and Bingo my fan was working again! So, my advice is if you have one these phones in your car make sure it is disconnected!"

The following users liked this post:
96lsbuild (06-26-19)
Old 06-26-19, 03:27 PM
96lsbuild
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 96lsbuild
(Sorry for the story but I rather let you guys know what happened before I explain the issues )
I recently bought a 96 ls400, car was sitting for a while with a dead battery. Disconected the negative terminal to get the car to turn on since it was corroded, after I brushed it off it started fine everything work including ac and radio. Gave it a jump, test drove it, bought it and took it home. Battery had 12.4 volts so I figured it didnt make a clean contact with the cables. Disconnect the battery clean both of the terminals with a wire brush connected them back and all of a sudden the Lexus phone makes a beep that I never heard. I go to turn on the car starts right up, I noticed that the radio stopped working but my climate control still works. Nothing pops up on the radio, check both radio fuses and they are not blown. Also my keyless remote no longer locks or unlocks the car. The door light on the cluster stays on when the car is off but stays off when the car is running. Can anyone help me out ?? I got no clue where to start and really want my radio to work

Found the issue, it was just the Dome rr fuse in the engine bay. I just went over the owners manual and checked every fuse that had anything to do with the radio.
Old 06-26-19, 04:17 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

It always amazes me how many fuses are responsible for the operation of the stereo. Anyone know why?
Old 06-28-19, 02:56 PM
96lsbuild
Driver School Candidate

I have no clue I'm new into the ls's Haha I've always had simple cars like civics and miatas
Old 06-28-19, 03:27 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Even the system on our 98 and 99 RAV4s have several fuses for the radio.