LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

grande dame

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 06:13 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dlcoffin
sdls thanks for the info about the cluster. and i am unable to say yes. heh. when the transmission was rebuilt, it was an expedient job, unplanned for, so no, the rear main wasn't changed. i probably would have been reluctant to ask for that service, as it was being underwritten by my former in-laws, and i simply hate being any more in debt to them than i already am. being retired and on a fixed income, it''s difficult to squirrel away money into my rainy day fund. my mechanic nor the transmission shop mechanics noted any oil issues with the rear main. they would have noted that when they had the transmission out, and the torque converter as well, for replacement, and obvious oil leakages would have been quite apparent, no?
If it was leaking then it would have been obvious when you removed the transmission; the area inside the bell housing would have been coated with the stuff. I was thinking more in terms of preventive maintenance since it was easy to access with the trans off. So your oil leak is likely the valve cover gaskets, the easiest of them all to do. If you can't do it yet, at least change the PCV valve (on the passenger side valve cover IIRC) and see if that helps; the PCV valve helps maintain some sort of vacuum inside the crankcase in order to prevent pressure buildup and reduces winding losses of the reciprocating crankshaft and bottom end assembly.
I understand the financial situation you speak of. Are you handy with tools? If so you can do the valve cover gaskets yourself with basic hand tools.
Old 07-08-19, 06:15 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Lol I have to slam the dash for my needles to work also, I have a piece of tape where I need to hit it😪😂
The following users liked this post:
dlcoffin (07-09-19)
Old 07-08-19, 06:21 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

handy with tools, i am. having a place to work, i do not. live on a busy street, park in the street, and the po-po, ya know. i actually did check the pcv valve, pulled it off, checked it, it was clean and works properly, so, something good for me to know, knowing the pcv valve is working, and that undue pressure isn't building inside the crankcase to force oil out through seals and elsewhere one doesn't want oil to go... i've looked, and don't see any oil tracks down from the valve cover gaskets, really. i'm just keeping an eye, occasionally driving up on a curb, or jacking the car and climbing underneath with a light, if i'm lucky enough to have found parking on a side street. difficult, since apartment buildings. all the overflow parking is what it is, on the street, and daily everyone fighting for a spot closest to where they live. heh. the other night, i came home midnight, had to park half a city block away from home. got lucky today, right by my front door. life in the city..
Old 07-08-19, 06:28 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

At this point, considering everything else you've said, it seems like your minor oil seepage isn't serious enough to be a concern; if your oil level stays good and it's not dripping out then maybe try a high mileage oil next time the oil change is due.
And I remember fighting for parking back in my So. Cal days... not fun.. but the sunshine was nice.
The following users liked this post:
dlcoffin (07-09-19)