LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 LS400: leaking coolant!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 02:51 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1994 LS400: leaking coolant!!

Here is some pics.... everything runs fine. But this doesn't...lol...

Old 07-10-19, 03:35 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like you need a new radiator, I would recommend getting new radiator hoses- upper and lower and new thermostat if it hasn't been replaced in last 100K miles as well as new radiator cap.
The following users liked this post:
OMAHA (07-10-19)
Old 07-10-19, 06:47 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by valex
Looks like you need a new radiator, I would recommend getting new radiator hoses- upper and lower and new thermostat if it hasn't been replaced in last 100K miles as well as new radiator cap.
I got a new radiator cap a couple years ago.... and a new thermostat about 80,000 miles ago...lol..... New hoses? I hope that is the problem.... it doesn't leak coolant tho, not that i can see any leaking on the ground
Old 07-12-19, 11:37 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by OMAHA
I got a new radiator cap a couple years ago.... and a new thermostat about 80,000 miles ago...lol..... New hoses? I hope that is the problem.... it doesn't leak coolant tho, not that i can see any leaking on the ground
It doesn't leak? Your title says "leaking coolant"
First thing is to find where all that stuff is coming from. I'd clean up that mess then pressure test it and look for the leak that caused it.
Old 07-12-19, 02:50 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Radiator failure at that seam where the metal crimps around the plastic tank on top is a common failure mode on many radiators. I bet if you clean all the dried-coolant residue off there (I'd just hose it off), let it dry, and then pressurize it (either with a pressure tester, or by running the engine), you'll find a leaking seam. No repair feasible - the radiator needs replacement at that point.

Regarding the leak vs. no-leak, I'm inferring that there is obviously coolant leaking from the radiator, but it is not reaching the ground, or maybe even going past the radiator.

And another thing, Omaha, how often do you pop the hood on that thing? That's more crystal than I saw in a whole season of Breaking Bad. I bet it has been drying and collecting for a while.
OMAHA (07-12-19)
Old 07-12-19, 05:11 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Default Update

My mechanic looked at it and he did say that I do need a radiator replacement eventually.... thanks for all the replies! Now I need to find me a good radiator here in the next month or so....lol
Old 07-12-19, 05:50 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

My mechanic looked at it and he did say that I do need a radiator replacement eventually.... thanks for all the replies! Now I need to find me a good radiator here in the next month or so....lol
Rockauto.com is way better than most parts stores
OMAHA (07-12-19)
Old 07-12-19, 07:20 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Rockauto.com is way better than most parts stores
Yes I love RockAuto however I did not know that they sold radiators thanks
Old 07-12-19, 09:14 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes I love RockAuto however I did not know that they sold radiators thanks
I know they do for my 99 idk about94
Old 07-13-19, 10:43 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

When I replaced the radiator in my '91, I bought a Denso from RockAuto.com. It arrived quickly, cheap, but was damaged - the rectangle had changed shape to a parallelogram. I wonder if someone else had bought it and tried to make it fit before returning it. So I returned it. Very inconvenient (I foolishly did not inspect the new part carefully until I had the old one out), but OK. If it had not been damaged, I expect I would have been happy with it.

After a year or so of riding with my temporary plastic welding + epoxy fix, I bought a Spectra Premium, again from RockAuto.com. No problems with that one.

From my notes, part numbers, all these for my '91, not sure about other years:
upper radiator hose: 16571-50021
lower radiator hose: 16572-50020
Spectra Premium CU1304 Radiator. Despite the CU in the part number, it was Aluminum. Perfect fit at all interfaces.
Denso Radiator 221-3122.
OMAHA (07-17-19)
Old 10-16-19, 04:32 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Default hose

Originally Posted by oldskewel
When I replaced the radiator in my '91, I bought a Denso from RockAuto.com. It arrived quickly, cheap, but was damaged - the rectangle had changed shape to a parallelogram. I wonder if someone else had bought it and tried to make it fit before returning it. So I returned it. Very inconvenient (I foolishly did not inspect the new part carefully until I had the old one out), but OK. If it had not been damaged, I expect I would have been happy with it.

After a year or so of riding with my temporary plastic welding + epoxy fix, I bought a Spectra Premium, again from RockAuto.com. No problems with that one.

From my notes, part numbers, all these for my '91, not sure about other years:
upper radiator hose: 16571-50021
lower radiator hose: 16572-50020
Spectra Premium CU1304 Radiator. Despite the CU in the part number, it was Aluminum. Perfect fit at all interfaces.
Denso Radiator 221-3122.
the hoses are expensive, can I use aftermarket?
Old 10-17-19, 09:44 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

the hoses are expensive, can I use aftermarket?
I'd say yes. Make sure it's a good aftermarket brand (e.g., Gates), and make sure the fit is perfect.

Regarding fit, I once had a hose replacement (different car) that was very slightly off (like off by 1/2" in where the hose lined up with the radiator). Easy to put it in, clamp it down, convince myself it's good enough. But it wasn't.

I think that once the cooling system is under pressure, that 1/2" displacement is not such a trivial thing. A year or two later, the old radiator developed some cracks and needed to be replaced. I assume that failure was due to mostly age and mileage, but that the extra stress from a slight misfit pushed it over the edge. Just something to consider. Nothing saying a cheaper aftermarket part won't fit perfectly though. Maybe the solution would be to buy a Gates at a local PepBoys so you can see if it fits, and easily return or exchange it if it does not.
Old 10-18-19, 08:46 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I'd say yes. Make sure it's a good aftermarket brand (e.g., Gates), and make sure the fit is perfect.

Regarding fit, I once had a hose replacement (different car) that was very slightly off (like off by 1/2" in where the hose lined up with the radiator). Easy to put it in, clamp it down, convince myself it's good enough. But it wasn't.

I think that once the cooling system is under pressure, that 1/2" displacement is not such a trivial thing. A year or two later, the old radiator developed some cracks and needed to be replaced. I assume that failure was due to mostly age and mileage, but that the extra stress from a slight misfit pushed it over the edge. Just something to consider. Nothing saying a cheaper aftermarket part won't fit perfectly though. Maybe the solution would be to buy a Gates at a local PepBoys so you can see if it fits, and easily return or exchange it if it does not.
I bought a gates replacement for my LS400 1996 and it didn't fit very well. Had to cut off a couple inches on one end and the other came very close to the fan blades. And from the pictures of the radiator, I wouldn't run with that old one for even one day.
Old 10-18-19, 09:13 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jaaa
I bought a gates replacement for my LS400 1996 and it didn't fit very well. Had to cut off a couple inches on one end and the other came very close to the fan blades. And from the pictures of the radiator, I wouldn't run with that old one for even one day.
Cutting inches off the end for aftermarket hoses is expected. The issue I mentioned was that the opening was offset laterally from where it should be (i.e., not fixable by any cutting). Good idea to not run with something fitting badly. But separate from the fit, I'd have high confidence in a gates hose.