LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Mysterious Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 05:05 PM
777lick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious Headlight Problem

I'm just going to start off by explaining my weird problem, weird to me at least. So essentially, whenever I turn the car on and leave the headlight switch in the auto position, only the high beams come on. However, once I pull the switch back to turn on the HIGH BEAMS, only the low beams come on. The only instance when I have both High and Low beams on at the same time is when the low beam switch is in the on position and I don't pull on the high beam switch (I say switch but I'm referring the lever on the left-hand side of the steering wheel). So for some odd reason, my headlights are coordinating with the controls in my car, they work, just not how they're supposed to.

Now some background info that may be useful: For the last couple months, I have been experiencing alternator/battery problems. It all began when one day my car didn't start due to a dead battery. ( I bought another new battery just have that one die and realize that it was my alternator that had the issue) So then I installed a new alternator. (And got ANOTHER new battery as the other one was basically ruined) At this point, everything was ok, my car was maintaining sufficient voltage and I had no issues driving. Now fast forward like 2 weeks, I helped someone jump start their car and for a second I believe the circuit was not created in the proper order. (Somewhere in the process the correct order in which you jump start a car was NOT followed, though I fixed it immediately) This I believe hurt the alternator as it no longer produced the volts as strongly. (Whereas before the voltage would jump from 12.6 to 14.8 it would now climb there gradually, so clearly the alternator is not running at its previous capacity) However, the car was still daily-driveable without any issues. So another 2-3 week passed and my subwoofer goes out. No problem, I bought another OEM pioneer sub for my Lexus. (However, my system was nagamaki (id if I spelled this right but it was the Japanese system) so I had to buy ANOTHER sub, this time being the right one). And yes I ran the in-correct speaker for a couple of seconds and realized it was not the right one. So once that issue was sorted out everything seemed fined once again. The audio system bumped just fine, the car started easily, nothing out of the ordinary. Then came my 3-day trip to out-of-state. I left for three days to come back to my Lexus not starting. I jumped the car and drove it around to charge up the battery and from there it was ok. I continued to drive it for another week without issues. I then had to go on another trip for 5 days this time. (I had one of my friends drive my car every day so that the battery didn't die, however, he only drove it in my neighborhood which probably wasn't sufficient to charge the battery). By the second day, I was gone, even with my friend starting and driving the car for 10-15 mins, the battery still died. So once I got back, I charged the battery up once more. Now at this point, I have a feeling that something is constantly draining my battery. (A mere guess) My alternator has no trouble charging the battery, the battery is new so that can't be the issue, and there are no obvious issues. So once I had charged the battery with a trickle charger I took it on the road for a good 20-min drive. About 15 minutes into the drive, I gas it to 6k (Just a little pull) and the VSC turns OFF. This is usually the first sign that my cars going to die soon so I made a U-turn to go home. Soon after the VSC came off, the car started idling at a lower rpm at each stoplight home. Where it should be around 600-750 rpm it was only running at 500 rpm. I thankfully made it home though and checked the voltage. For some reason, instead of being at the 14.6ish volts it's usually at, it was at 13.5. (VERY ODD). So I take out the battery and charge it. Which brings me to today... The car idles at 14.5 volts again (healthy) but this time I experience my headlight problem. (The one discussed higher up on this post) So at this point I really don't understand the issue with my car, I'm aware that its probably something electrical/wiring in nature but I could use some help. Thank you
Old 07-17-19, 10:57 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Jump starting anotherr car can pose issues for both cars if as mentioned the connection was incorrect. There is probably some relay or fuse that needs to be replaced.
Old 07-19-19, 09:15 AM
777lick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

Originally Posted by RA40
Jump starting anotherr car can pose issues for both cars if as mentioned the connection was incorrect. There is probably some relay or fuse that needs to be replaced.
First off thank you for the response. I checked both the fuses and relays specifically for the headlights and all of them just to be safe and none were melted or broken. Furthermore, I started the car today since the last time with the headlight issue and for some reason the headlights work like normal once again. The problem seems to be intermittent and I can't think of what else it might be.