LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Wheel Weights

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 10:22 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Exclamation Wheel Weights

I just did my wheel balance at Costco and they use hoffoman 5 Fe wheel weights which is sticker-ed onto the rim. I see that the front wheel weights are rubbing to calipers due to clearance issues which its 3.75mm/3.70mm. I do not want to clip on weights (outside) to my alloys. Are there are any other sticker weights that would clear calipers?
Thanks.

Last edited by Sherl; 07-22-19 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 10:53 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherl
I just did my wheel balance at Costco and they use hoffoman 5 Fe wheel weights which is sticker-ed onto the rim. I see that the front wheel weights are rubbing to calipers due to clearance issues which its 3.75mm/3.70mm. I do not want to clip on weights (outside) to my alloys. Are there are any other sticker weights that would clear calipers?
Thanks.
Some general info:

Whatever you get fixed for the front wheel(s), where you have the problem now, also check that you don't have a problem on the rear wheels that you'll notice when rotating tires to the fronts.

The Fe means the weights are made of iron. Lead (Pb) was standard back in the day. Lead is denser so you can use a smaller weight with the same mass. It could be that Lead weights are banned now for environmental reasons, and iron is the next best thing (cheap + dense).

I expect there is leeway in the thickness of the weights, and the exact placement of them, that the wheel balancer guy could use to avoid this problem if he knew how tight a fit you had there.

Not sure what the 3.75mm/3.70mm numbers are for, but to get an idea about how small that is, a dollar bill is about 0.1mm thick, and a regular sheet of paper is about 0.05mm thick.

----
So if it were me, I'd take it back in and point out the problem to the balancer guy, including the fact that you'll want to be able to rotate rear wheels to the front at some point. They should be able to fix it for you. But I know getting anything done at Costco is an exercise in patience, so good luck.
Old 07-22-19, 11:02 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Hey oldskewel
Thanks for this. This issue was persistent for quite a while and sometimes I getaway with static balance (which isnt the best). The wheel weights are 3.75 mm thick and clearance is 3.70 mm between the rib of the rim (tallest portion) to top of the floating caliper. Usually the midsection on the rims is designed to be thicker for structural integrity and that would be middle of the rim is the perfect place to balance the weights.

There is a way to get around like placing massive amounts of weights on the side of the rim and balancing the other side (inside) by adding clip on weights but that is not the nicest way to do this. I am seeking if there are weights thinner than <3.70mm so that it can clear the calipers.

And yes I did the tire rotation (myself) that is where the issue cropped up this time which was something I expected.
Old 07-22-19, 06:03 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Lexus dealers used to have decent looking hammer on balancing weights but those became no longer available in the mid-2000's. My local Lexus dealer had a good supply of them but eventually ran out.

Some specialty wheel shops have ultra low profile stick on balancing weights.

Googling "ultra low profile wheel balancing weights" found some that are represented to be 1/8th inch thick which is 3.175 mm.

Here's one at http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...eel-sn200624st which is marketed for "imports and sports cars where brake caliper clearance can be an issue with standard thickness QuikStik weights"
Old 07-22-19, 06:33 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Thanks Kansas. The problem with the measurement listed is, most dont disclose the thickness of the sticker which adds up to the overall height. Indeed my present weights are 3mm but the sticker is another 0.75mm.
Old 07-23-19, 03:42 PM
RelentLex
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Ive had this issue. I found a tire shop that can balance the wheels by putting the weights closer to the middle of the wheel barrel / farther away from the inner face of the wheel and out of the path of the calipers. Problem solved.

Not all shops have a machine that can do this I believe, its a different setting or something they told me.

Good luck, I know how annoying it is to hear that loud clicking noise when those wheel weights hit the calipers!
Old 07-23-19, 10:01 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

Discount tire uses 1/4 oz weights in 3oz strips that are really low profile. I worked there for 5 yrs and you could get a row of those to clear the LS400 calipers while doing a dynamic Clip inner and tape outer balance.