LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stop leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 10:33 AM
skla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop leak

I have a 95 LS400 and my power steering is leaking. I'm looking to put a stop leak additive in but I don't know if I should use Transmission stop leak or Power steering stop leak.... Please Help!!!
Old 08-06-19, 10:49 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

I wouldnt use stop leak. Replace PS pump if leaking from there
The following users liked this post:
skla (08-06-19)
Old 08-06-19, 12:27 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by skla
I have a 95 LS400 and my power steering is leaking. I'm looking to put a stop leak additive in but I don't know if I should use Transmission stop leak or Power steering stop leak.... Please Help!!!
Better not to use any kind of stop leak.
Locate the source of leak and repair it.
The following users liked this post:
skla (08-06-19)
Old 08-06-19, 03:04 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Look on here for other PS repair issues. A very common one is in the "idle up air valve" (that also goes by similar names) that increases engine RPM to help in parallel parking. Nice feature, but it inevitably fails and leaks a lot. If you have white smoke from the exhaust on startup and are low on PSF, this is likely to be a problem. And that particular problem would absolutely not be fixable with a stop leak product.

The pressures on the high pressure side of the PS pump are very high, and would be likely to blow past any repair that is not done right.

One way or another, you need to stop the PSF from leaking onto the alternator (right below the pump) or you will be replacing the alternator as well.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-19, 03:57 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

what everyone is telling you, is their is no quick fix... repair, replace, but do something before your alt is ruined..
this is what I done.... use an old clorex plastic bottle.... been using it 6 or 7 years now, just keep the fluid level up..
Old 08-07-19, 03:33 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Stop leak is great for killing chevy's and fords, don't ever put any sort of additive or stop leak in your Lexus. Not in the cooling system, not in the power steering system, nowhere. They will do way more damage than "repairs". Investigate and find the leak, get it fixed. If the repair cost seems expensive, or you aren't comfortable handling a few wrenches, a Lexus is not the car for you. It was once a $60k car and it still needs $60k car maintenance.
Old 08-07-19, 08:56 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Bylan
Stop leak is great for killing chevy's and fords, don't ever put any sort of additive or stop leak in your Lexus. Not in the cooling system, not in the power steering system, nowhere. They will do way more damage than "repairs". Investigate and find the leak, get it fixed. If the repair cost seems expensive, or you aren't comfortable handling a few wrenches, a Lexus is not the car for you. It was once a $60k car and it still needs $60k car maintenance.
Wrong on the Lexus is not for you if you aren't comfortable with wrenches. That's why repair shops exist.

E: Test

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 08-08-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 10:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

That is one aspect that while they have depreciated in value, the repair costs are still at Lexus rates. Non dealer shops can lessen the wallet hurt to some extent. DIY certainly helps if one is willing.
Old 08-07-19, 11:15 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Wrong on the Lexus is not for you if you aren't comfortable with wrenches. That's why repair shops exist.
Read first, then comment. "If the repair cost seems expensive, OR you arent comfortable turning wrenches". Theres 2 options. Option #3 isnt buy a mystery bottle at autozone and pour away. You get that sort of advice on facebook, not here.
Old 08-08-19, 08:12 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Read first, then comment. "If the repair cost seems expensive, OR you arent comfortable turning wrenches". Theres 2 options. Option #3 isnt buy a mystery bottle at autozone and pour away. You get that sort of advice on facebook, not here.
Read first then commented wont change my comment. However that option 3 I can agree with. No stop leak stuff.
Old 08-08-19, 12:37 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

If the repair cost seems expensive, or you aren't comfortable handling a few wrenches, a Lexus is not the car for you. It was once a $60k car and it still needs $60k car maintenance.
Wow, you could have just said "stop leaks are no good". Different people can take that comment in different ways. I first read it as you were calling him poor and not capable of working on cars. I saw in a different post he did just change his starter. Plus, he's a new member, don't scare him away.
Even though I hate stop leak products, the condition of my car right now I would try something on it if it was leaking. It's a $500 car, I wouldn't put $1000 into it. Not every Lexus is gonna get a $60k car maintenance.

Just my opinion
Old 08-08-19, 12:39 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by deanshark
Wow, you could have just said "stop leaks are no good". Different people can take that comment in different ways. I first read it as you were calling him poor and not capable of working on cars. I saw in a different post he did just change his starter. Plus, he's a new member, don't scare him away.
Even though I hate stop leak products, the condition of my car right now I would try something on it if it was leaking. It's a $500 car, I wouldn't put $1000 into it. Not every Lexus is gonna get a $60k car maintenance.

Just my opinion
He's also a new member
Old 08-08-19, 02:27 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

I never intend to insult anyone here, clublexus is an excellent community, far more respectful and informative than any car-specific forum that I frequent. I bought my first lexus when I was dirt-poor and graduating high school, which means I needed to research a lot and do all my own repairs. If i didn't know how to research and turn wrenches, or if paying a shop $1000 on each occasion of a leak, seal failure, timing belt replacement, or basically anything on these cars, I would have bought a cheap Honda or something. I also don't trust literally any automotive shops, every experience has shown me I can save 80% of my money and do it the right way myself. Big thanks to all the intelligent contributors on this forum.
Old 08-09-19, 08:22 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I did the PS Pump replacement myself. I ordered a remanufactured from RockAuto, AC Delco and OE Toyota Idling valve and the tube (https://amayama.com/)
Actually in my case the PS Pump didnt leak, the previous mechanic went cheap on the tube and it become brittle enough to lose the seal so anyways I ended up replacing the pump and the tube and the valve.
It took me a good eight hour or so with figuring out all by myself and with just a wrench set and HF breaker bars. If you search the forum and youtube there are step by step instructions to do so. I was fairly confident after this job that I did brakes (disc, parking). I also made sure to use the highest quality components and even the grease (permatex or what so ever) in any case. It was a good experience and gave me an idea how possibly I would be ripped off else.

The original quote previously was $400 (for PS Pump) and $300 for labor wherever for all the four brakes it was $450 in total. I spent half of that quote to put quality components into my car. DO search the forum and reddit lexus sub, there are plenty of post and help.

Gather all the tools and have handy. Lexus cars are usually packed so its going to take sometime to get things out but at the end the results were HAPPY!
Old 08-10-19, 07:51 AM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow, good for you! You get a lot of satisfaction in doing things yourself and the right way, plus you learn stuff (about yourself and the car).

Quick Reply: Stop leak