LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ignition Lockout - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-19, 07:30 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Unhappy Ignition Lockout - Help Please

Hi guys, I have a bit of an issue right now. I tried to put a steering wheel cover on my steering wheel and caused my ignition to lock. I searched the forum but didn't see much on LS400 ignition lockout. I am looking over the manual now and have not found it yet. I searched online for the procedure to fix it, it seemed simple enough but I could not get it to work any help will be greatly appreciated, I am kicking myself for causing this. My car is currently sitting at the mall parking lot, I could have it towed but I really would like to figure this out.

Its a 1997, thanks again.

And if anyone is wondering. What is happening is when I put the key in the ignition it will not turn out of lock. Apparently this is a common safety feature that can be fixed by locking the steering wheel and turning the key together but I cant get it to work.

Last edited by JohnAndic; 08-15-19 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 08:19 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Ok well the Manual says that I should rock the steering wheel slightly while turning the key gently... hopefully that works....
Old 08-15-19, 08:25 PM
bigmuddy11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Ok well the Manual says that I should rock the steering wheel slightly while turning the key gently... hopefully that works....
Just turn the wheel full lock and turn key at same time normally turn the same way it is locked into so if turned a bit left go full lock left till the key turns and it unlocks.
Old 08-15-19, 08:31 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigmuddy11
Just turn the wheel full lock and turn key at same time normally turn the same way it is locked into so if turned a bit left go full lock left till the key turns and it unlocks.

Thank you for the response. That is the procedure I tried but I could not get it to work. I will try again, I don't want to damage anything if its not already.
Old 08-15-19, 08:36 PM
bigmuddy11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Thank you for the response. That is the procedure I tried but I could not get it to work. I will try again, I don't want to damage anything if its not already.
Shouldn't be able to damage it try turning hard hold on full lock then try key ets. May take a bit of jiggling , may have to poke tongue out to opposite side etc lol. Good luck. I haven't tried any of this as haven't needed to so let us know what ends up working please.
Old 08-15-19, 09:38 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigmuddy11
Shouldn't be able to damage it try turning hard hold on full lock then try key ets. May take a bit of jiggling , may have to poke tongue out to opposite side etc lol. Good luck. I haven't tried any of this as haven't needed to so let us know what ends up working please.

Well what the manual said to do worked like a charm. I should have been able to figure it out without reading anything. I don't even know if it was in the safety lock mode or just kinda stuck from me trying with the wheel cover. Thanks again man.
The following users liked this post:
bigmuddy11 (08-15-19)
Old 08-16-19, 11:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I had similar happen when I parked the car. I had it turned full lock and just to make sure I gave it a slight turn more and it did the same as yours. It was really tight and I was thinking oh S!#@. Managed to turn the steering wheel just that we bit to disengage the ignition lock.
Old 09-16-19, 03:43 PM
PaulM73
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having a similar issue and hoping that someone has some input. 1998 LS400 Last drove the car about a week ago with no issues. Went to start it today and the key wouldn't turn. The wheels are straight ahead and I was able to "wobble" the steering wheel side to side prior to trying to start it, meaning that the steering wheel lock wasn't fully engaged.
I have 3 keys for the car and all 3 are known to be good. When each of the keys are inserted, the security light goes out, which indicates that the immobilizer is recognizing the keys, however, the ignition lock will not budge.
I then turned the steering wheel to the right to engage the lock and then tried to turn the key again, while turning the wheel gently against the lock.That progressed to gently rocking the wheel side to side while attempting to turn the key; still no luck. This evolved into rocking the wheel a bit more aggressively while trying to turn the key. I repeated this with all three keys and was unsuccessful.

Any tips would be great. I'm just short of trying to pull the cylinder, but don't know if that's even possible since the key needs to be turned to acc to pull the cylinder.
Old 09-16-19, 05:01 PM
PaulM73
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I managed to get it to unlocked. I dropped the lower trim panels and gave the bottom of the lock cylinder a few good whacks with a rubber mallet and a wooden dowel while sticking a large screwdriver just inside of the key slot and nudging back and forth. I felt it wiggle just a bit so I then stuck the key back in and jiggled it and it finally popped.