LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Remove sunroof UCF20

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 03:59 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
It will outlast the car sure. I'm sure 95 percent of all junked LS400s were junked for reasons other than motor failure. But its power output numbers are simply stomped on these days by motors much smaller (and less reliable, I'm sure, but reliability was never sexy to the motoring press)
btw, the 1uz responds well to supercharging. ask how i know
how do you know? pics or it never happened!
Old 08-29-19, 05:21 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by python
how do you know? pics or it never happened!
I used a Vortech V2 SQ SC-trim with a Lextreme fish v2 bracket and a 3.6" pulley. Used a cheap and cheesy electric fan on the radiator. Worked perfectly for years and passed CA smog as it was with no hookup or anything.
I'll have to edit the post to add the picture that I found of it online.
edit: here it is

​​​​​​​

Last edited by sdls; 08-29-19 at 06:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
python (09-04-19)
Old 08-29-19, 08:43 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
It will outlast the car sure. I'm sure 95 percent of all junked LS400s were junked for reasons other than motor failure. But its power output numbers are simply stomped on these days by motors much smaller (and less reliable, I'm sure, but reliability was never sexy to the motoring press)
btw, the 1uz responds well to supercharging. ask how i know
Also those engines are much much pricier.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brz+1uz
Old 09-03-19, 01:51 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

okay, i was really shocked on how easy the headliner was.... but now I’m stuck on the actual assembly.... I got the actual glass out no problem as you can see.... please help..... not sure what’s still holding it in
Old 09-03-19, 02:55 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Never mind....... I found the two bolts by the B pillar holding it in, my advice to anyone else that does this is have someone ready to catch the other side bc the second that bolt gets free it all drops.
Old 09-03-19, 07:10 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Was a total ***** to removal
Old 09-03-19, 07:43 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Impressive work. You the man kambam.
Old 09-04-19, 04:28 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

good work!
Old 09-04-19, 06:28 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Yeah man good job!
Old 09-04-19, 10:19 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Alright guys, I went to my parts car (the brown Lexus some of you might have seen from other threads) hell of a deal over that.... new management of the motel it sits at thought I was stealing... from my own car, then proceeded to call the police when I proved it was my car. Cops laughed at the whole situation and didn’t make me leave, the new management won’t be there long considering I called the owner of the motel and we all had a pleasant conversation over his new management... this set me back 1.5 hrs of what I came to do..... anyways about the car, it has no battery and everything under the hood is jacked, so had no luck moving the seats to get the other assembly out, had to get in the back seat and kick the seats forward till the passenger one broke...... didn’t being a 14MM with me and the nearest auto zone or Walmart was over 15 miles...... plus the seats have 330K miles of trash anyway.... after over and hour of maneuvering side to side I finally got the assembly out..... installed in LS in under 5 min, as you can see in the picture it’s gonna definitely either needa hella bondo or someone’s gonna have to pop that dent out, will see.

As you can see it’s a few MM down

You can sort of see the giant dent from an angle
Old 09-05-19, 08:40 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by kambam3627
new management of the motel it sits at thought I was stealing... from my own car, then proceeded to call the police. installed in LS in under 5 min, as you can see in the picture it’s gonna definitely either needa hella bondo or someone’s gonna have to pop that dent out, will see.
He called the cops cuz.... it's his job. Maybe he thought you were "Mayhem" (Allstate car thief commercial) "I'm a car thief, it's my job"
Before you put the sunroof in did you try to straighten the roof any? It would be easier, and safer, without the glass in.
Old 09-05-19, 08:58 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
He called the cops cuz.... it's his job. Maybe he thought you were "Mayhem" (Allstate car thief commercial) "I'm a car thief, it's my job"
Before you put the sunroof in did you try to straighten the roof any? It would be easier, and safer, without the glass in.
He called after OP proved it was his though
Old 09-05-19, 09:07 AM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Yes, everytime id push it out it would just pop back in, I’m not gonna reassemble everything so that they can get to that spot easy.
Old 09-05-19, 09:19 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
He called after OP proved it was his though
I would have still called also. He is the "NEW" manager and probably doesn't know what kind of deal kambam has with the owner regards to keeping the car on his property.

Originally Posted by kambam3627
Yes, everytime id push it out it would just pop back in, I’m not gonna reassemble everything so that they can get to that spot easy.
Good idea, save some money on labor charge.
Old 09-05-19, 10:01 AM
kambam3627
Pole Position

I would have still called also. He is the "NEW" manager and probably doesn't know what kind of deal kambam has with the owner regards to keeping the car on his property.

Good idea, save some money on labor charge.

Quite the contrary, a little more info, the car is in my fathers name, but this manager automatically asked are you “ Scott’s son” since my father is a doctor and the owner of the motel is a doctor.... so going into it he knew I had a relationship with the owner, still proceeded to call me a “fat midget” as I said go ahead and call the police, then again he was only 22, I’m only 20 but still no excuse to talk to someone that way, over a car.

Quick Reply: Remove sunroof UCF20