LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Remove sunroof UCF20

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19, 06:36 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

So here’s an update, car is pretty much done damage wise towards the roof, just need a hood still no luck. This car has such a bad vibe with me now, I plan to purchase a 2004 GS300 tomorrow.
Old 11-06-19, 12:24 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Yea the Whole reason I bought the LS400 was for something cheap and reliable. if you are constantly fixing it it I can see it being a pain. good luck with the new Lexus.
Old 11-06-19, 11:49 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Yea the Whole reason I bought the LS400 was for something cheap and reliable. if you are constantly fixing it it I can see it being a pain. good luck with the new Lexus.
Exactly. If you are always fixing something how can you call that reliable? Everyone always says how reliable the LS400 is. I agree......to a point. Most of them are. That's why I bought both of mine. And I'll be looking for a better one in the near future. I only called the tow-truck once for each, and both was for a failed ball-joint. You'll never kill the engine in these. But lately I've been seeing alot more posts from the same people changing and fixing so many things on their cars. There's a time that comes where ya just need to "throw in the towel" I think I heard someone say that before. "kambam" Hope ya have better luck with the GS.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (11-09-19)
Old 11-06-19, 05:46 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Exactly. If you are always fixing something how can you call that reliable? Everyone always says how reliable the LS400 is. I agree......to a point. Most of them are. That's why I bought both of mine. And I'll be looking for a better one in the near future. I only called the tow-truck once for each, and both was for a failed ball-joint. You'll never kill the engine in these. But lately I've been seeing alot more posts from the same people changing and fixing so many things on their cars. There's a time that comes where ya just need to "throw in the towel" I think I heard someone say that before. "kambam" Hope ya have better luck with the GS.

Yeah, if it weren’t for the moving sunroof, weak tie rods, and shocks I would be okay with fixing the hood. The stigma behind this LS is painful, I do agree with what you mean, everyone says this car invincible, and the motor and tranny are but there are lots of faults as there are with every car. I test drove the GS, needs a valve cover but other than that it was a great ride, 170K 1800$
Old 11-07-19, 08:56 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by kambam3627
Yeah, if it weren’t for the moving sunroof, weak tie rods, and shocks I would be okay with fixing the hood. The stigma behind this LS is painful, I do agree with what you mean, everyone says this car invincible, and the motor and tranny are but there are lots of faults as there are with every car. I test drove the GS, needs a valve cover but other than that it was a great ride, 170K 1800$
Yea every car has their known issues. The GS sounds like a good deal. I've never driven one so I can't give ya any incites on those but it's still a Toyota engine so it'll last.

I just reread my last post and I hope noone took it the wrong way. Believe me, I still love the LS400. I fixed way less on both of mine then some of my other cars way back in my youth. I was just stressed about what I need to do to mine now just so it will last me one more crazy New England winter. Alot of things I've been putting off for a year cuz I thought other things would have come together by now.
Make sure you do alot of research on the GS so you know if it's faults have been taken care of yet.
Old 11-09-19, 07:05 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
I just took the plates off the old girl. She runs fine but a lot of little things need fixing and I'm through putting any money into her for now