LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I made a huge mistake - SKP motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 08:33 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default I made a huge mistake - SKP motor mounts

I replaced my motor and tranny mounts with skp units from rock auto a year or so ago and an engine vibration at idle and speed never went away. 99ls....can feel it in gear selector, in steering wheel at idle and pedals. Wasn't there prior.

Thought I read good stuff about them. Found an oem tranny mount for 50 but cant find the motor mounts.

Before the berating starts this was done before I found out how most aftermarket parts sucked.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...6083&jsn=10976

Got those

Just want to clarify, the engine is smooth as butter, doesnt run rough but I still feel vibrations, just not anywhere near as bad as with those issues. Most likely the NVH that oem stuff eliminates

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 09-07-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-03-19, 09:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Lexus still sells the motor mounts. They aren't cheap. Good luck.
Old 09-03-19, 09:45 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Lexus still sells the motor mounts. They aren't cheap. Good luck.
Just got off the phone with them. $250 EACH!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 09-09-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-03-19, 10:48 AM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
Just got off the phone with them. $150 EACH!!!!!!!!

Those bandits.
Old 09-03-19, 10:49 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
Those bandits.
Haha sarcasm I bet. Seems to be what they go for online.

Meanwhile I can drive it meanwhile without ill effects just audible annoyances right?

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 09-03-19 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-03-19, 11:31 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry to hear of the bad results. Thanks for the PSA on it.

But this is an unfortunately common story, especially with MATERIALS. As the whole world is trying to make copies of stuff as cheap as possible and still get away with it to some extent, quality materials (e.g., the rubber that Toyota uses in these mounts) are easily substituted with pure crap that looks pretty good in the box and will quickly deteriorate.

Many other things are tougher to fake, but o-rings, gaskets, rubber things that are tough to replace - I don't skimp on those generally. Not necessarily because I think the OE ones are so great, but that I know how the china-no-name-brand ones are so easy to make out of cardboard, mud, and paint. Lead too, probably.

I love RockAuto for radiators, brake pads, brake rotors, etc. as those things are tougher to cheat at / fail at. I definitely don't buy Genuine (Toyota / Honda / Porsche / etc.) parts all the time. Another reason not to skimp on these particular parts is that the vibration isolation is a truly exceptional thing that Lexus achieved with these cars, so they probably figured out a thing or two when doing it, keeping them as trade secrets to avoid cheap ripoffs.
The following users liked this post:
KKOG (09-06-19)
Old 09-03-19, 11:36 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Seems to be what they go for online.
I found this; https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-LEX...item23c2fa0a00
I've never dealt with them but their feedback seems OK. For that much of a price difference I would do some research to make sure they are genuine OEM. But like with all advice; use your own judgement.
Old 09-03-19, 12:06 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by deanshark
I found this; https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-LEX...item23c2fa0a00
I've never dealt with them but their feedback seems OK. For that much of a price difference I would do some research to make sure they are genuine OEM. But like with all advice; use your own judgement.
I found these exact ones. Wondering the same thing. Saves me $100 basically

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 09-03-19 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-03-19, 12:57 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

I replaced my motor and tranny mounts with skp units from rock auto a year or so ago and an engine vibration at idle and speed is back. 99ls....can feel it in gear selector too.

Thought I read good stuff about them. Found an oem tranny mount for 50 but cant find the motor mounts.

Before the berating starts this was done before I found out how most aftermarket parts sucked.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...6083&jsn=10976

Got those
Rock Auto parts are not nearly same quality as OEM.

You get what you pay for...and now you have to do the work all over again...

Some info on what makes OEM motor mounts superior to aftermarket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rnal-view.html
Old 09-03-19, 01:01 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Rock Auto parts are not nearly same quality as OEM.

You get what you pay for...and now you have to do the work all over again...

Some info on what makes OEM motor mounts superior to aftermarket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rnal-view.html
The phrase if I knew then what I know now comes to mind
Old 09-03-19, 01:39 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Just want to clarify, the engine is smooth as butter, doesnt run rough but I still feel vibrations, just not anywhere near as bad as with those issues. Most likely the NVH that oem stuff eliminates.
Old 09-03-19, 02:09 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Sounds like it may just be the trans mount which is very common. Next time you're stopped at a red light or stop sign, with the foot on the brake of course, shift into Neutral. If the vibrations change the trans mount is the culprit. Of course you can do this in your own driveway as well...
Old 09-03-19, 02:32 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
Sounds like it may just be the trans mount which is very common. Next time you're stopped at a red light or stop sign, with the foot on the brake of course, shift into Neutral. If the vibrations change the trans mount is the culprit. Of course you can do this in your own driveway as well...
Just did it in work parking lot lol

At idle the vibrations go from a bit in steering wheel, pedals and some in gear selector to 99% to gear selector when in R or drive. Then at differing rpm/speeds it's in all 3 (steering wheel not so much then) along with the audible hum.
Old 09-04-19, 06:30 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I changed my trans mount on my ex-high miles 96 LS and felt no difference. Bought the OEM part. The old one did seem "compressed" relative to the new one but the rubber was still soft. The car was only ten years old at the time.
I changed motor mounts (I think I used Beck/Arnley?) from RockAuto and the difference was extremely minimal. But I remember the job didn't take me more than a few hours, which was amazing. I had good tools and sharp skills back then.
I always wondered afterward if going OEM on the motor mounts would have made the motor imperceptibly smooth.
Old 09-04-19, 08:12 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by sdls
I changed my trans mount on my ex-high miles 96 LS and felt no difference. Bought the OEM part. The old one did seem "compressed" relative to the new one but the rubber was still soft. The car was only ten years old at the time.
I changed motor mounts (I think I used Beck/Arnley?) from RockAuto and the difference was extremely minimal. But I remember the job didn't take me more than a few hours, which was amazing. I had good tools and sharp skills back then.
I always wondered afterward if going OEM on the motor mounts would have made the motor imperceptibly smooth.
Lucky, the only thing available at the time was skp

Quick Reply: I made a huge mistake - SKP motor mounts